(PS4) area transitioning crash bug

Sarevok88

Question

Hello. I started to receive this error message when I transitioned into another area, but then it booted me to main title screen. Now when I try to reload, I keep getting the same message. It seems all my saves and auto-saves are affected and I can't play. 

I really like this game, but I dont fancy on restarting it all again due to this major bug. Please fix this.

P.s, I had to reinstall the whole game and that fixed the issue. Still it's a huge bug that needs addressing.

P.s again.....same issue again, I noticed it only happens in certain areas of the game. If you die, and try to reload a save within that area, it will happen yet again, meaning you can't die at all in that area without having to start all over from a different area altogether. Very frustrating. 

Edited by Sarevok88
Unresolved
  • Thanks 1

15 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem (just missed your post while posting my own). I can't load any areas though. With a character with 5 hard saves and the 3 auto ranging from the deck of my ship to fort deadlight to neketaka not a one will load, just keeps booting me back to the main menu with the message: "There was an error loading the next map. Returne to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption."

Quite irritating really, considering how old the game is and that we paid full price for it and all, bugs I can tolerate, but you'd think the completely game-breaking ones that have been known for years (I've found plenty of topics with this problem and solutions (for pc anyway, involving access to files that console users aren't allowed) would be hammered out before the console release, especially considering how delayed it was to begin with. 

I don't even care if my character can be salvaged, I just want to have an idea as to what causes this and how to prevent it from happening again when I do start a new game. Guess I'll start by reinstalling and see if that helps me. 

1 hour ago, doppelg said:

Same problem here. This bug definitely needs to be fixed soon.

I spoke with Versus Evil earlier today, and they are aware of this bug. They also told me it's a top priority, so expect some more news soon. Fingers crossed.

All my saved games became corrupted for no reason after 30 hours play. Currently can't do anything ("continue" or "load" fail). Constant error message "there was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption". What can I do? Surely there is a fix without having to start my whole playthrough from scratch?  I am playing on PS4/console. Thanks.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:34 AM, Sarevok88 said:

I spoke with Versus Evil earlier today, and they are aware of this bug. They also told me it's a top priority, so expect some more news soon. Fingers crossed.

Are they aware of all the other bugs and problems in the game ? there is plenty...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

20 hours ago, Bubble888 said:

All my saved games became corrupted for no reason after 30 hours play. Currently can't do anything ("continue" or "load" fail). Constant error message "there was an error loading the next map. Returned to Main Menu to prevent save game corruption". What can I do? Surely there is a fix without having to start my whole playthrough from scratch?  I am playing on PS4/console. Thanks.

Painful... Have you tried to destroy the game settings ? the file which store all settings (should be in PS4 System -> Storage -> Saved data) This remind me a save corruption i got on another game, i solved it by destroying settings file...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

4 hours ago, fced said:

Painful... Have you tried to destroy the game settings ? the file which store all settings (should be in PS4 System -> Storage -> Saved data) This remind me a save corruption i got on another game, i solved it by destroying settings file...

Hiya. I just tried deleting the settings file in saved data on PS4 system but it hasn't fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion - any other ideas? I mean why release a game (and charge 50GBP) if it has fatal errors like these?? It is not playable in its current version (surely: system crashes every 15 minutes + constant load screen times + save files corruption = unplayable) It sounds like the kind of checks that should have happened before release. Or is it just me thinking that? 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bubble888 said:

Hiya. I just tried deleting the settings file in saved data on PS4 system but it hasn't fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion - any other ideas? I mean why release a game (and charge 50GBP) if it has fatal errors like these?? It is not playable in its current version (surely: system crashes every 15 minutes + constant load screen times + save files corruption = unplayable) It sounds like the kind of checks that should have happened before release. Or is it just me thinking that? 

i could tell you to rebuild the PS4 database, but i am not sure it would change anything, sooner, while i was on the ship, i tried to go from the inside to the world map, and i got a strange error, something like : "we returned you to the home screen to avoid corrupting the save file", i was a bit afraid for some time, and now i am trying to always save my progression on several files, 4 save files, each 10 mn i save on a different, but in your case it will not help i am sorry, have you tried to submit a ticket to their support ? i feel the devs don't come too much here, except if they have something to announce and i am 99.99999% the communities manager don't transmit anything of our requests, like it was on POE PS4...

If it was me, i would destroy the settings files, then reboot the PS4, then create a NG, then try to load your actual save file, if it don't work, may be try to copy your save files on USB/PSN Plus and try to re-download them to replace the old one ... you have nothing to lose
About the game state, I don't know, to be honest i don't understand how  they could release a so much broken game?? - did they realize how bad the image we have of Obsidian with this ? did they even care ?

I created a topic to list all the problems i encounter on the game (i am on PS4) and i listed your problems, feel free to add anything else..

Edited by fced

2 minutes ago, fced said:

i could tell you to rebuild the PS4 database, but i am not sure it would change anything, sooner, while i was on the ship, i tried to go from the inside to the world map, and i got a strange error, something like : "we returned you to the home screen to avoid corrupting the save file", i was a bit afraid for some time, and now i am trying to always save my progression on several files, 4 save files, each 10 mn i save on a different, but in your case it will not help i am sorry, have you tried to submit a ticket to their support ? i feel the devs don't come too much here, except if they have something to announce and i am 99.99999% the communities manager don't transmit anything of our requests, like it was on POE PS4...

I don't know, to be honest How could they release a so broken game?? - did they realize how bad the image we have of Obsidian with this ? I don't know what to think about them, about this...
I created a topic to list all the problems i encounter on the game (i am on PS4) and i listed your problems, feel free to add anything else..

Thanks so much for doing that. I mean it. Hopefully it will help all of us in the long run. It's a shame really I was looking forward to the release date for months. I think I pre-ordered the game in 2018 on Amazon. But now I am likely to request a refund from Amazon (quoting technical issues). I hate having to do that but i cant justify paying £50 for a game I can't play. Sad thing is it means the developers might lose money on this title and not necessarily be able to do another one. Cheers again, Fced. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bubble888 said:

Thanks so much for doing that. I mean it. Hopefully it will help all of us in the long run. It's a shame really I was looking forward to the release date for months. I think I pre-ordered the game in 2018 on Amazon. But now I am likely to request a refund from Amazon (quoting technical issues). I hate having to do that but i cant justify paying £50 for a game I can't play. Sad thing is it means the developers might lose money on this title and not necessarily be able to do another one. Cheers again, Fced. 

I waited so much too, i came here several times to ask about the release date of Deadfire, i was so eager to play it after i discovered POE, and now i think i understand why the devs didn't gave us a definitive release date (i asked last year after i saw the game release date on PC), i don't want to throw them a stone, i heard they are not responsible of the Console development, but at least they could come and speak to us on the forum, at least to tell us they are working hard to fix things...
This, Anthem, Outer Worlds make me think it is probably the last time a get a game on its release, next time (if i am capable) i will wait and search players feedback before buying...

13 minutes ago, fced said:

I waited so much too, i came here several times to ask about the release date of Deadfire, i was so eager to play it after i discovered POE, and now i think i understand why the devs didn't gave us a definitive release date (i asked last year after i saw the game release date on PC), i don't want to throw them a stone, i heard they are not responsible of the Console development, but at least they could come and speak to us on the forum, at least to tell us they are working hard to fix things...
This, Anthem, Outer Worlds make me think it is probably the last time a get a game on its release, next time (if i am capable) i will wait and search players feedback before buying...

I haven't played Anthem or Outer worlds. Similar problems? Obsidian games too? 

Oh and yes, I submitted a ticket to both Obsidian and Vsevil. 

1 hour ago, Bubble888 said:

I haven't played Anthem or Outer worlds. Similar problems? Obsidian games too? 

Oh and yes, I submitted a ticket to both Obsidian and Vsevil. 

Outer worlds is Obsidian yes,  i don't remember i got too much problems or frustration with it but the game had some different issues, Anthem is Bioware and EA, the game was completely broken when they released it, but at least they fixed really quickly most of the problems..
Anthem Gameplay is one of the most innovating of the last 10 years, you should get it when PSN do a discount, it is a cooperative multi player with a huge potential, but since they released it they done nothing to improve the game (dlcs, new Javelins, a real story, etc), there is only few story mission, usually what i prefer on games (with gameplay of course) is the story...

Edited by fced