Easy: grab two Necklaces of Fireball and put one on and the other into the stash (NOT character inventory). In each encounter you can then spam 8 Fireballs. After the encounter you put the empty necklace back into the stash were it will form a stack with the full one. If you seperate them again both will be full again! Yay! 8 Fireballs in every encounter without any costs.

Use Magran's Blessing Favour and Sun & Moon and grab Ring of Focused Flames and Otto Starcat as pet. This will give you +10 accuracy and +5 Power Levels with fire attacks. Then go and get Rekvu's Fractured Casque and Rekvu's Scorched Cloak and cast fireballs on yourself until you get knocked out. Rise up again with the minor injury "Serious Burn". This will make sure you can never get interrupted while casting and it also makes you heal from fire instead of getting damage. Nuke yourself with your own Fireballs: no problem, it even heals you. 

Then pick any class that gives you bonuses for spellcasting. This could be:

• Barbarian:
    • higher casting speed from Frenzy
    • higher casting speed from Bloodlust
    • no recovery on fireball-kills from Bloodthirst
    • Berserker:
      • +2 PEN from Berserker Frenzy
    • Furyshaper:
      • +10% casting speed from ward
  • Monk:
    • bigger AoE from Duality of Mortal Presence (INT)
    • +2 PEN from Thunderous Blows
    • Helwalker:
      • +30% additive damage because +10 MIG from wounds
  • Paladin:
    • +10% multiplicative dmg because Eternal Devotion adds a lash to your fireballs
    • +5 ACC and +5% hit to crit from Exalted Focus
    • +1 PEN from Scion of Flame
    • +20% additive dmg from Sworn Rival (can be cast on every enemy in AoE quickly since instant cast with 0 recovery)
  • Fighter:
    • +5 ACC, 1 Power Level and bigger AoE (+5 INT) from Tactical Barrage or +5 ACC and +25% hit to crit conversion from Disciplined Strikes
    • +5 ACC from Warrior Stance
  • Ranger:
    • in general just a crapload of Accuracy...
  • Beguiler/Debonaire:
    • Charm groups of enemies with Ringleader and then drop a 100% critting Fireball on them. Rinse and repeat... 

And so on... I'm sure you can find something in every class that would give a nice bonus to casting Fireballs but those come to my mind first.

Of course you can also make a multiclass to combine many of those advantages. e.g. Berserker/Helwalker or Paladin/Helwalker or such. Or the Beguiler/Debonaire combo I mentioned. YOu can be very creative...

Of yourse you could also pick an Evoker or aBloodmage Wizard and cast Fireballs the usual way - but why if the possibilities with the necklaces are nearly endless? ;)

You can also add two Missile Gloves and do the same, giving you a bit more option - for example if the enemies are immune to fire.     

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Barbarian can get +25% dmg to fireballs when <50% hp (Blooded ability), stacks with Human racial ability

Monk - bonus ACC from Dance of Death

Weapon - Magrans Blessing comes late. Until that i recomend Griffin's Blade - 10%dmg with spells

Second ring - Kuaru's Prize - +1Int/Per +5% spell damage

Gloves - Firethrower's Gloves - +1PL to evocation spells, +2Dex

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Powerotti said:

Barbarian can get +25% dmg to fireballs when <50% hp (Blooded ability), stacks with Human racial ability

Monk - bonus ACC from Dance of Death

Weapon - Magrans Blessing comes late. Until that i recomend Griffin's Blade - 10%dmg with spells

Second ring - Kuaru's Prize - +1Int/Per +5% spell damage

Gloves - Firethrower's Gloves - +1PL to evocation spells, +2Dex

I think when I lastly checked Firethrower Gloves they didn't do anything for Necklace of Fireballs. 

Never tried Kuaru's Prize though.

@Dance of Death: totally! How could I forget? :) SC Monk would also be able to use Razor's Edge which is pretty good with Fireballs as well.

For Barbarian I forgot Lion's Sprint which would give you +15 ACC for a single Fireball. Could maybe stack with Monk's several +ACC bonuses... I think Furyshaper/Helwalker would be a hell of a combo with Fireballs. Speed galore, INT, MIG, PEN. SC Berserker could be cool with Blood Storm (DoT on crit works with spells) and later Instrument of Boundless Rage which basically also is a (much more potent) Fireball. It also works with Ring of Focused Flame and the other stuff. Also all the Fireballs would trigger Blood Surge every once in a while. 

What I could also see is Streetfighter with blunderbuss + modal (Powder Burns). First of all it's also a fire-based attack and fits the theme and while the higher Sneak Attack/crit damage won't work with Fireballs the -50% recovery all the time would be a really good thing. Add Dirty Fighting. Fire a Debilitating Strike with dual mortars which lowers Reflex by -10 points already and then start blasting with Fireballs at high speed.

What's also not bad is a Wizard with Blightheart + Paladin with Eternal Devotion. Both give you a +10% lash on your spells which is pretty neat while the paladin makes your multiclass a lot sturdier. Also: Brand Enemy + Sacred Immolation + Delayed Fireball + Torrent of Flame + Fireballs! 

As I said: endless possibilities. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

2 hours ago, Naughtydread said:

Thanks, I wrongly assumed that Wizard would be the best class.

The best class is obviously the bloodmage who can achieve higher PL and can cast unlimited fireballs (or any spells) compared to someone using a necklace. You just multiclass him with a paladin (Exalted Endurance + Lay on Hands), a chanter (Ancient Memory + Old Siec) or a priest (Barring Death Door + Salvation of Time) to be able to sustain the damage from Blood Sacrifice...

• Like 2

I am, well, me, and I approve this thread.

This is far from my area of expertise, so I only have nitpicking to contribute with here. Boeroer, while that is a wealth of creativity out of you, I think you missed that OP wanted a build for TB. I've never tried TB, but I believe I know that you only get one action per turn, so something like spamming Sworn Enemy wouldn't be nearly as smooth as in RTwP. Though, if you want to use it, both its upgrades would be nice for this build. Also the general speed/recovery shenanigans of barbarian might not shine as much. Flame me hard (pun intended) if I'm wrong 😃

And this next one I am more certain of... the axe with +2 fire PL is called Magran's Favor. Magran's Blessing is a shield 😛

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Oh, you are right. So also casting speed buffs wouldn't be as effective. Hm... anyway - I was just giving some food for thought so that one could do a Fireball slinger without even using a wizard.

@Kaylon: if we are talking about Fireballs only that's highly debateable (as long as you play with a complete party). Most Bloodmages wouldn't even manage to get off 8 Fireballs in one single encounter because it's over before that. 

Might be different in TB mode though. Never played that more than a few minutes so...

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Oh, you are right. So also casting speed buffs wouldn't be as effective. Hm... anyway - I was just giving some food for thought so that one could do a Fireball slinger without even using a wizard.

@Kaylon: if we are talking about Fireballs only that's highly debateable (as long as you play with a complete party). Most Bloodmages wouldn't even manage to get off 8 Fireballs in one single encounter because it's over before that. 

Might be different in TB mode though. Never played that more than a few minutes so...

Thanks, I am most interested in playing a single class wizard. From what you guys are saying that would not be an optimal class or build. After reading about Blood Mages the class seems like it would work well in turn based mode. What stats do you guys suggest for a mage in turn based mode?

😞

Edited by Naughtydread
Information

Well, due to being single classed you'll get higher power level, which is just general awesomeness (slightly more damage and accuracy). Scion of Flame, Spell Shaping and Farcasting (as you know ;)) will also be available to you. I don't think it's a bad choice to single class your wizard. It'll give you a lot of bread and butter. Boeroer's suggestions will give you cheese instead.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

is blood sacrifice a free action in TB mode? because blood mages could infinite-spam delayed blast fireball, which is much more powerful.

Edited by thelee

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

What's also not bad is a Wizard with Blightheart + Paladin with Eternal Devotion. Both give you a +10% lash on your spells which is pretty neat while the paladin makes your multiclass a lot sturdier. Also: Brand Enemy + Sacred Immolation + Delayed Fireball + Torrent of Flame + Fireballs!

The paladin's thing's actually rather nice. Though wouldn't it work better with Fighter owing to Constant Recovery (plus, potentially, Voidward) to offset the raw self-damage from Sacred Immolation?

Though I guess you could technically do Paladin/Blood Mage to get regeneration (albeit at the cost of the improved Rapid Recovery.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

46 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

The paladin's thing's actually rather nice. Though wouldn't it work better with Fighter owing to Constant Recovery (plus, potentially, Voidward) to offset the raw self-damage from Sacred Immolation?

Though I guess you could technically do Paladin/Blood Mage to get regeneration (albeit at the cost of the improved Rapid Recovery.)

You can drink potion of final stand and cast wall of draining for endless immortality, then spam sacred immolation and blood sacrifice  without worries😁

Less exploit strategy is using corrosive siphon. It's much better than constant recovery if you hit few targets

• Like 1

Nobody Mentionned Arcane Archer yet ? For Multiclass, Imbue:Fireball is basically their best Attack ability.

With 2 bounces, you'll have 3 fireball per cast, (and even +2 with Kitchen Stove Wild barrage if necessary).
That's the cloest I can thing from a Mayhem of fireballs.

Not sure about multiclass, but I guess Helwalker would be cool for massive MIG and INT bonus. Once Bond is depleted, you will be able to spam Stunning Blow with high Ranger accuracy

• Like 2

Right, forgot about that as well. Arcane Archer with necklaces might be a fun Fireball slinger, too.  Maybe even Bloodmage/Arcane Archer for maximum Fireball casts or flame casts in general. :)

The problem with Arcane Archer is that the imbued Fireballs don't scale properly with Power Level. Most notably the PEN will not rise. While this seems to be no big deal at first it becomes one later in the game.  

Of course it's still nice to combine a triple rod- or mortar-blast with triple Fireball with only one shot. But it's just so frustrating if you find out late i the game that your good idea doesn't work out because of this bug(? I don't even know if it's a bug or intended). I mean for people who don't want or can't install mods like the Community Patch (which lets the imbues' PEN rise with your Arcana skill). 

Edited by Boeroer

17 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

The problem with Arcane Archer is that the imbued Fireballs don't scale properly with Power Level. Most notably the PEN will not rise. While this seems to be no big deal at first it becomes one later in the game. 

Community Patch fixes this, though, right? If I recall correctly.

Granted, not everybody's playing with the community patch installed.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Or maybe I should get into the habit of reading posts all the way through XD