Has OW gone on sale? And mods...?

I think it is an interest thing which I thought might happen, there is also the fact that those who bought on Microsoft store can't access the executable as it seems to be more of a "rent" type situation where you have access to play the game but manipulation of files is more difficult.  At least that is what I have been told I bought through Gamestop which is tied into the Epic store. 

As to the sale I expect the price has dropped (haven't really checked as I already have a copy) as it will traditionally do with games after release.  I would say it would even be possible to search around to find it at $20-$25 as there always seems to be those who bought copies they didn't use that they will sell cheap after a game has been out awhile.

I can see an .exe and the .pak content files on the Microsoft store version, I don't think there's much of a difference between versions. Microsoft was planning on restricting win32 applications heavily but stepped away from it. Tim Sweeney and Gabe Newell didn't like it because it seems like a blatent attempt to force everyone to use the Microsoft store.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:12 AM, AwesomeOcelot said:

I can see an .exe and the .pak content files on the Microsoft store version, I don't think there's much of a difference between versions. Microsoft was planning on restricting win32 applications heavily but stepped away from it. Tim Sweeney and Gabe Newell didn't like it because it seems like a blatent attempt to force everyone to use the Microsoft store.

Have you tried making changes to the files? I don't use it myself, but I've read that's where the MS Store DRM starts causing problems.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

23 hours ago, 213374U said:

Have you tried making changes to the files? I don't use it myself, but I've read that's where the MS Store DRM starts causing problems.

You're right, it has locked down permissions. Have to add it to the list of scummy things Microsoft does. All that talk about PC gaming is just lies, one of the advantages is modifications. Some important fixes have come from being able to edit exes. Half of Troikas games would be unplayable now. It's offensive that the founders would lock that down on a game.

Most of the interesting mods for Outer Worlds involve editing game files. After hours of trying, and multiple tutorials that don't work, I haven't managed to convince Windows to let me edit anything in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, where the Windows Store installs things. Has anyone managed to mod the Windows Store version at all, or is it completely impossible?

If that's actually the case, I'm cancelling my Game Pass and buying it from Epic. I don't like them much, but as far as I can tell they don't try to lock me out of software that I paid for.

6 hours ago, Phasma Felis said:

Most of the interesting mods for Outer Worlds involve editing game files. After hours of trying, and multiple tutorials that don't work, I haven't managed to convince Windows to let me edit anything in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, where the Windows Store installs things. Has anyone managed to mod the Windows Store version at all, or is it completely impossible?

If that's actually the case, I'm cancelling my Game Pass and buying it from Epic. I don't like them much, but as far as I can tell they don't try to lock me out of software that I paid for.

Merged your thread into this one, where the topic is already being discussed.

On topic: from what I know, modding MS Store games isn't possible, currently. There were plans to add mod support as of last summer, but I don't know what's the status on that currently.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

19 hours ago, 213374U said:

On topic: from what I know, modding MS Store games isn't possible, currently. There were plans to add mod support as of last summer, but I don't know what's the status on that currently.

The "plans" last summer basically amounted to "we won't actively prevent the community from trying things, but building a mod framework just isn't something we have the time or resources for, sorry."  They've largely kept to that promise.  The game assets aren't encrypted, and users are able to tinker within the limits UE4 allows.

However, the latest word, per the discord-sphere is:

We won't be releasing official modding tools for The Outer Worlds.
Modding tools are something we wanted to provide since the project began, but it simply never came to be, and I personally don't see it happening for DLC either.

TOW2?  Maybe.  TOW1/DLC?  Probz not.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...