Illusionist Mirrored Image Lag/FPS Drop

I was super excited to play POE II: Deadfire on console and basically started playing right at midnight last night haha. That said, I ran into an issue that is kind of putting a damper on things for me...

When playing my Illusionist/Paladin multiclass, there is a pretty big hitch/FPS drop every time the Illusionist's Mirrored Image triggers. This is pretty unfortunate to the point where I'm debating remaking my guy just to avoid having to deal with this hitch in literally every combat for the remainder of the game.

I hope this gets fixed, but I have found multiple threads about this issue happening on PC versions of the game online (one from a year ago, one from two years ago) and it seems to still be an issue.

Do other people play Illusionists, or did you give up and play a class that doesn't automatically lag the game every battle?

16 minutes ago, Yefo said:

Do other people play Illusionists, or did you give up and play a class that doesn't automatically lag the game every battle?

yes i played with lots of mirror images. yes, it is annoying. the most annoying part is that the underlying game is still occurring - it's just the rendering that's frozen. so i've gotten into the habit of hitting PAUSE as soon as everything freezes for a bit, so nothing critical happens while the game is desperately trying to load in the mirror image (a lot can happen in PotD difficulty). though amusingly, i also used it as a "oh ****" detector because in one game i had aloth set up to auto-use mirror image in certain situations, so if the game suddenly hitched it acted as a "aloth is in trouble!" alarm

i've discovered something similar happens while playing as a beckoner - i pause as soon as the summons get brought in, because the game is desperately trying to load some graphical effect and i pause to make sure nothing horrible is happening while rendering is happening.

edit: it's clearly some engine inefficiency... maybe some sort of storage data seek? a really inefficient algorithm? because i've had this hitch on literally every machine i've tried it on, even an extremely beefy machine with a 2080 Ti.

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Funny. Playing on Linux and never had such an experience. Hardware's pretty good though.

of all platforms i expected to be the most stable experience, linux was not one of them, no offense. macOS also has this hitch (though after catalina broke everything i'm frankly amazed that deadfire runs at all)

Ah, that's unfortunate. Sounds like this is a known issue that I would suspect won't be resolved. I will say that tapping pause immediately on the lag is good tip, thanks thelee! I'll maybe play with my Illusionist for a little longer and decide if I can handle this annoyance or if I should just roll with a different class.

Related question: I'm trying to avoid reading too much about ideal builds and stuff because I find part of the fun is coming up with that stuff on my own, but do people find Illusionist/Melee multiclass builds to be strong? The free deflection granted from Mirror Image cast on hit seems pretty powerful at a glance...

Edited by Yefo

It might be that most people here would say that most wizard subclasses are less nice than Bloodmage or vanilla Wizard in general (?) because you will lose access to quite some useful spells. Spells have 2 uses per Power Level per encounter - so the automatic Mirrored Image isn't as impactful as it would have been in a per-rest scenario like with PoE. Also the increased Power Level has not so much impact on illusions as it has on most damaging spells (except Wall of Many Colors and Kalakoth's Freezing Rake).

The passive is nice in general though (compared to some other wiz subclasses) and I would say "yes" if the basic subclass mechanic of wizards wasn't blocking you from certain spells.

But that's only my general view. There will be some special builds where it's the best pick I'm sure. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods