Ergonomics

Something that occured to me while playing KOTOR on my PC today. Reaching for my mouse constantly gives me a pain in my shoulder. Old Repetitive Strain Injury. Would be possible to be able to play the new game entirely from keyboard?

I betting there are probably others with similar problems.

Something that occured to me while playing KOTOR on my PC today. Reaching for my mouse constantly gives me a pain in my shoulder. Old Repetitive Strain Injury. Would be possible to be able to play the new game entirely from keyboard?

I betting there are probably others with similar problems.

Dont reach for it. Have it in your hand at all times and play for hours on end. B)

You can't use a control pad of some kind? :o

I can, and do. But mapping all the keyboard functions, and some of the mouse functions is difficult. In-game movement is pretty easy to map. I'am still trying to figure out to map combat to control pad. If the entire game is playable from keyboard, that makes my task a whole lot easier.

You may need to use a proggie to map keyboard/mouse keys to gamepad buttons ie. get the gamepad to pretend to be a keyboard.

I think Logitech or a few gamepad/joystick makers give you software to do that with the drivers but if you don't have that you could "use the google" to check out Joy2Key :(

I found it reasonably easy to play KotOR with the mouse mostly.

Having to hold mouse buttons to switch to "pointer mode" so often was a real pain though.

Having to hold mouse buttons to switch to "pointer mode" so often was a real pain though.

"Pointer mode" was on by default if I remember correctly. To move your character you hold both mouse buttons. It was a minor inconvenience but I'd rather have the pointer.

"Pointer mode" was on by default if I remember correctly.

Nope, by default, you could only have a pointer my right clicking with your mouse.

I really couldn't come to terms playing the game that way, but then i realized i could switch set up and have the mouse cursor on all the time, whilst using the keyboard to move around.

Right clicking with the mouse allowed me to rotate the camera.

All in all, it wasn't a bad system, but i still rather have top down view and a party of six.

Damn you Xbox...

Nope, by default, you could only have a pointer my right clicking with your mouse.

hmm, weird.

I'm almost certain my copy had the mouse pointer already on.

I'm in Europe (UK). I don't know if that's relevant but maybe the default settings aren't the same?

I uninstalled Kotor the other day so I can't check right now.

You can get away playing with it on the keyboard only...the only downside is navigating 'corpses' on the ground..it's slow w/o the mouse is all. I did go several hours straight as a keyboard commando one night :o

You may need to use a proggie to map keyboard/mouse keys to gamepad buttons ie. get the gamepad to pretend to be a keyboard.

I think Logitech or a few gamepad/joystick makers give you software to do that with the drivers but if you don't have that you could "use the google" to check out Joy2Key :)

The Logitech Wingman Rumblepad comes with a special software package that allows you more mapping functions in just about any combination you could desiere on it. I'm not sure if KotOR is supported by the software though, it would be worth looking into; since it's outside of the game.

Either the corded or cordless version, they're both the same, minus the cord and the extra money. :p