Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

Old but not out... (oldies but goodies!). A surprising number of WWII weapons being used on both sides in the Ukrainian war

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've been reading about this new AAM black program too. From what little info is avilable it looks incredible. An F-15EX will apparently be able to carry at least 12 and possibly 16. And the budget shows 2026 being the last year AIM-120D's will be bought, so this new AAM is entering full-rate production very soon.

FK3 systems seem to have arrived, no official statement yet but 6 Chinese transport aircraft landed in Serbia.

Also it seems that we are considering not only the 12 new Rafals, but also 12 used one. How we have money to buy those I have no idea.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Also it seems that we are considering not only the 12 new Rafals, but also 12 used one. How we have money to buy those I have no idea.

Countries never have money for such things as education, healthcare, or infrastructure, but then somehow always have plenty of money for military hardware.

It's just like with people: always complaining about no money for food and rent and medical care and school tuition, but have plenty of money for designer clothes, a fancy cellphone, a huge-screen TV, and expensive concert/sporting event tickets.

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

FK3 systems seem to have arrived, no official statement yet but 6 Chinese transport aircraft landed in Serbia.

Serbia planning to conquer Europe, I see.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Serbia planning to conquer Europe, I see.

Staying above Croatia (and Bulgaria) seems like the only thing. Romania and Greece even if we get those 24 Rafals outclass us handily, but then again we are fairly friendly with those countries.

Also even if we got those Rafals today, the pilots and ground crew need training for them and that's probably something like 4-5 years.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If I had to go to war today with a WW2 weapon it would be the 1903 Springfield. No doubt about it. 2800 fps muzzle velocity with a max range of near 5k yds. With a decent scope it would rival any sniper rifle used today in range. But not kinetic energy and stopping power. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sniper Super Bowl 

how cool is this?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 6:22 AM, Guard Dog said:

If I had to go to war today with a WW2 weapon it would be the 1903 Springfield. No doubt about it. 2800 fps muzzle velocity with a max range of near 5k yds. With a decent scope it would rival any sniper rifle used today in range. But not kinetic energy and stopping power. 

But what modern day weapon would you take back in time to use in WW2?

Free games updated 3/4/21

56 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

A PKP. Plenty of ammo around already, so less logistical issues.

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Heavy weapons it has to be a MK-19 for me. Have you ever seen anything do so much damage so quickly? 

Light weapons I’d say the M-249. The US had nothing close to it. The Thompson and BAR were short range only and had limited ammo capacity. The German MGs and British Bren were comparable in firepower but were much heavier and could not be carried or operated by just one man like the SAW can.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

On 5/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, ShadySands said:

well, am knowing kirk douglas' answer circa 1980

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Re. one of the bigger issues raiesed in the article, the Air Force has already stated officially that henceforth their model for aircraft acquisition programs will be three separate contracts for a project: development, production, and maintenance. So the contractor that wins the development contract does not automatically also get the contracts for production and maintenance. But yeah, my strong expectation also is that this EMD contract is with Lockheed Martin.