Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

54 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I saw this too. But the article doesn't give any information, even speculative, about what it may be ('cause I'm dying to know!). :(

I think the "easiest" to implement would be the "ground-based mobile laser used for blinding adversary reconnaissance satellites". You have troubles with the atmosphere, but unlimited power supply. 🤔

• Thanks 1

'They are nice people. They are charismatic, they pray five times a day, and there was this one time where one of them was hugged by another women so he felt dirty and decided to wash away the sin by flying two passenger planes into the WTC!'

• Gasp! 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

14 hours ago, Katphood said:

'They are nice people. They are charismatic, they pray five times a day, and there was this one time where one of them was hugged by another women so he felt dirty and decided to wash away the sin by flying two passenger planes into the WTC!'

Top students!

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

MOAA - Navy Captain Makes History as First Woman to Command an Aircraft Carrier

Capt. Amy Bauernschmidt, USN, became the first woman to take command of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Aug. 19 at a change-of-command ceremony for USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) in San Diego.

Bauernschmidt, who was tapped for a 2022 carrier command in December along with five fellow officers, served as the carrier's executive officer from 2016-2019, the first woman to serve in that capacity aboard a nuclear-powered flattop. She recently commanded USS San Diego (LPD-22), an amphibious transport dock.

“There is no more humbling sense of responsibility than to know you are entrusted with the care of the people who have chosen to protect our nation,” Bauernschmidt said at the Aug. 19 ceremony, according to a Navy press release. She also thanked outgoing commanding officer Capt. Walt “Sarge” Slaughter for turning over “the finest ship in the fleet.”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

PRNewswire - American Humane applauds President Biden for signing PAWS act

American Humane, the country's first national humane organization, applauds President Biden for signing the Puppies Assisting Wounded Servicemembers (PAWS) Act, which when implemented will empower the Department of Defense to fund service dogs for veterans struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"American Humane is heartened and encouraged by the bipartisan support for the PAWS Act, which will improve the lives of veterans across the country," said Robin R. Ganzert, Ph.D., president and CEO of American Humane. "Thanks to President Biden, specially trained service dogs will be available to more veterans in need by empowering nonprofits to put healing leashes into the hands that need them most."

The PAWS Act instructs the Department of Veterans Affairs to begin a five-year pilot program that will provide specially trained service dogs, as an element of a broader health program, to veterans diagnosed with PTSD.

The momentum behind the PAWS Act comes on the heels of a Veterans Health Administration study, the results of which were released earlier this year. Researchers studied the effects of both service and emotional support dogs on a patient's post-traumatic stress disorder checklist, depression symptoms and suicidal ideations. Treatment that included a service dog improved results across all three measures.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of military history. A toss up between the funny thread, the weird/random/etc thread or the military thread. A fun watch in any case...

The voyage of the Russian Baltic Fleet (Second Pacific Squadron) in the Russo-Japanese war is a tale of ridiculous blunder after blunder, a disaster from start to finish. The last ditch effort for Russian naval superiority in the Russo-Japanese war required a voyage never before taken by a coal-powered fleet. To help matters, the fleet was crewed by conscripted peasants who had little to no experience or education when it came to naval operation. Over the 18,000 mile journey, the fleet attacked civilian vessels from multiple global powers, shot at their own ships, killed fellow sailors with negligence of safety standards, destroyed city's communication grids, and so much more. This event will go down in history as one of Russia's most embarrassing military performances, but on the bright side, at least it gives you one fantastic hard-to-believe story to tell at your next dinner party!

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Funnily enough, the Russian fleet in the Russo Japanese War actually did far better than it had any right to do given the atrocious political leadership and their strategy may well have worked if not for the incompetence in the army- and it had some of the worst luck possible. Best admiral blown up by a mine, winning a battle- that no one expected them to come close in- until their admiral and everyone on the bridge got killed by a one in a million shot that crippled the flagship and jammed its rudder.

Obsolete, badly maintained ships sure, but also handled with almost ludicrous bravery, especially at Tsushima where they must have known they had no chance of winning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Anyone been following the big blowup between France and Australia/UK/US over the nuclear submarine deal? I'm particularly interested to hear how the story is playing in Europe.

No one cares. It's in the news, but it's not big news.

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

No one cares. It's in the news, but it's not big news.

So then only the political elites care? That would actually fit my own professional interpretation, which is what I said to a Spanish newspaper that interviewed me about it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Sometimes the industry big boys like LM and Northrop do company-funded in-house projects as demonstrators for the military. LM has been working on a project that has often been colloquially referred to as "SR-72" so may be this something like that (given ACC boss's surprise).

• Like 1

I don't know if that gun is loaded, but it made me feel uneasy watching that guy putting his eye that close and looking down the barrel :unsure:

Looks like a well rehearsed show though. Different part of the world, different ceremonies.... Indian and Pakistani military facing off at the border

24 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

I hope that's designed for destroying something vehicular because if not it smells like overkill.

I would think it's for armored vehicle, helicopters, going through walls, etc.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 9/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, kanisatha said:

So then only the political elites care? That would actually fit my own professional interpretation, which is what I said to a Spanish newspaper that interviewed me about it.

The Spanish media landscape is... depressing, to put it mildly. Comparatively very little attention is given to international matters and there's a hyperfocus on the domestic crises of the day, on which they will keep on reporting, even if there have been no substantial developments.

It's a bit of a feedback loop -- readers generally aren't very interested in learning much about foreign affairs, so not much effort is put into making in-depth and well researched reports. Which in turn fails to spark much interest in international stuff. It's easy to check too, the foreign affairs news pieces may have a few dozen comments if that, while the president trading barbs with the opposition in parliament will have hundreds.

So to answer your question, yeah. Probably only political elites (and defense industry bigwigs) really care, and personally I would have paid good money to see Macron's face when he found out. I have no idea what the average Frenchman's thoughts are on the matter, but I imagine they have bigger things to worry about.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.