Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

The F-35 is the wonder weapon of our time.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

27 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Just saw this myself. People who like to whine about the F-35 (especially in the news media and in Congress) are idiots.

Imo, the F-35 does have some legitimate growing pains, but I think those pains are specifically why the Swiss chose it:

“In terms of effectiveness, the F-35A achieved the best result because ... it includes entirely new, extremely powerful and comprehensively networked systems for protecting and monitoring airspace,” the Federal Council stated.

Once they work out the kinks it will truly reach its potential.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Imo, the F-35 does have some legitimate growing pains, but I think those pains are specifically why the Swiss chose it:

“In terms of effectiveness, the F-35A achieved the best result because ... it includes entirely new, extremely powerful and comprehensively networked systems for protecting and monitoring airspace,” the Federal Council stated.

Once they work out the kinks it will truly reach its potential.

Yup, as any new revolutionary system has growing pains. For example, our first jet-powered aircraft.

MP7 wasn't considered ?  I guess due to the ammunition, though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Somehow that scope just looks completely out of place on that gun 🤔

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 7/6/2021 at 5:44 PM, Malcador said:

MP7 wasn't considered ?  I guess due to the ammunition, though.

Yeah leading ballistics experts are now claiming that 9mm on a 5.5 inch barrel is the perfect pistol/small arms round as far as low recoil and adequate penetration goes and the U.S. Army has always been pretty diligent on listening to experts so this decision doesn't surprise me in the least.  9mm has seen some advances over the years so you have a whole ton of ammo to choose from, from low velocity "assassin" rounds to ultra powerful Russian made Barnaul rounds.  U.S. Army -again- goes with the pragmatic Winchester NATO rounds for 9mm sidearms and probably will for the subby as well.

I've never been in the Army but I feel like I know and understand their decisions like the back of my hand lol.

Times - British soldier crashes into house as parachute fails during training exercise

A British soldier has survived crashing through the roof of a house and landing in the kitchen after his parachute failed to deploy fully on a training exercise.
He jumped out of a plane and fell more than 15,000 feet during a high-altitude-low-opening jump. They are used by special forces including the SAS and SBS to deploy troops in hostile environments.

• Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

I prefer the metal cover myself

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

If that wanted it to work then they shouldn't have named it Ford

'course the obvious solution is to find somebody named subaru to run for President.

HA! Good Fun!

ps edit due to dyslexia... to is v. is to 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, Raithe said:

am knowing war isn't a joke, but the wooden bomb thing is quixotic both extreme english and funny.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We did that in 99 with fake mig-29s, the body was made of sheet metal so it would react to radar and the engines would be metal barrels in which they would burn wood to simulate the heat of the engines. Enough to say that the supply couldn't keep up with the demands and almost all of the decoys were destroyed while none of the real planes were hit.

We also did that with tanks in Kosovo, it worked so well that NATO claimed 181 tanks, 317 armored transporters, 857 cannons and 600 militray vehicles were destroyed. When they visited the sites of "destruction" with the press it's fair to say they were pretty embarrassed. When the Serbian army was pulling out of Kosovo they had convoys with 250 tanks, 250 armored transporters and 600 cannons, which was pretty much everything that was deployed there.

We should have sent the brits a couple of those fake tanks as souvenirs. 😂

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP