Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Strange, why do they suddenly want to turn the Marines into a naval based, amphibious branch 🤔

The article brings its own conclusion on the why though, to take on Chinese bases in the South China Sea

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The way I see it the Marine Corps is returning to its roots. Beginning in the cold war and even in the war on terror it has morphed into something it was never intended to be. Basically a second army. Only smaller and not as well equipped. It was always intended to be a light highly mobile rapid reaction force. A weapon launched by the Navy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A long time ago I heard a saying (paraphrased): "The Marines take the beaches, the Army holds them".

It articles seems to me to be a structural and technological pivot. Smaller forces but more highly armed with missiles and (as yet non-existent) unmanned vehicles. Since China will be our next war it makes sense to plan accordingly. Or we could wait for global warming to sink all their manmade islands. :lol: According to the experts, that amount of sea level rise will happen in our lifetimes.

• Like 3

One of the most influential characters on naval development in the US Navy. Also a darn interesting (and at times unintentionally funny) character. It's a long biography (a bit more than an hour), but worth watching if you're into military history

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Marine Corps redesign causing personnel shake up

“personnel not making lateral moves will be assigned a new MOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps.”

Oh boy. Enjoy your next tour as a cook. Or a Sanitation Technician. That quote is Marine Corps speak for “bend over and grab them! Because here it comes “

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Marine Corps redesign causing personnel shake up

“personnel not making lateral moves will be assigned a new MOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps.”

Oh boy. Enjoy your next tour as a cook. Or a Sanitation Technician. That quote is Marine Corps speak for “bend over and grab them! Because here it comes “

"If involuntary force shaping is required..." sounds very ominous 😝

But it also sounds like they had too many people in roles that had little to do with a rapid, naval based response force. I know we can't really compare them to 18'th  and 19'th century marines, but there used to be a tradition for marines being effectively a ship based fighting force that could protect the ship and crew as well as secure beachheads etc.

29 minutes ago, Gorth said:

"If involuntary force shaping is required..." sounds very ominous 😝

But it also sounds like they had too many people in roles that had little to do with a rapid, naval based response force. I know we can't really compare them to 18'th  and 19'th century marines, but there used to be a tradition for marines being effectively a ship based fighting force that could protect the ship and crew as well as secure beachheads etc.

It happened to me actually. In 1993 the Corps was going through a force reduction. My MOS was being merged with another which left twice as many Marines for half as many billets. If I wanted to re-enlist I'd have to choose a new MOS. I had 3 options, S2 (Intelligence) Air Traffic Control, and I forgot what the third one was. S2 might have been interesting but I was a Corporal with all of 4 months in grade. What possible good would I be there? I'd end up as some 1st Lieutenant's bitch. ATC  I knew well because I worked on ATC RADAR. But there were far more Marines in that field than billets for them and a good number of them never actually got to do their thing. They ended up in S4 or worse, Barracks Support. I'd rather be eaten by ants. I was already planning to walk away at the end of my contract but that made the decision a lot easier. 

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 2

Thomas Sowell

I'm interested to see how things go. Not going to lie, I'm more than slightly enjoying the butthurt of the tank nuts but at the same time I feel for the tankers that are having to get shuffled around. I still think it's a good move though.

Free games updated 3/4/21

@Guard Dogwas a Marine??  Learn something new every day.

But yes my irrelevant opinion is that the Marine Corps should stay and island hopping force but then again with modern air technology that may even be antiquated at this point.

I'm curious to how modern technology would play out in a full scale war these days because my brain seems to think that WW2 was the last possible war that was possible w/o destroying the entire earth.

4 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

@Guard Dogwas a Marine??  Learn something new every day.

But yes my irrelevant opinion is that the Marine Corps should stay and island hopping force but then again with modern air technology that may even be antiquated at this point.

I'm curious to how modern technology would play out in a full scale war these days because my brain seems to think that WW2 was the last possible war that was possible w/o destroying the entire earth.

Yep. ‘89-94. Shady and Manifested too.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm interested to see how things go. Not going to lie, I'm more than slightly enjoying the butthurt of the tank nuts but at the same time I feel for the tankers that are having to get shuffled around. I still think it's a good move though.

The MPs too. That was a s—t detail. If you were on a Marine Corps base or a Marine Corps air Station it wasn’t so bad. But if you were on a float or a Naval air Station your life was hell. You fell under the Navy SPs who had no qualms at all about sh—ing all over you. 

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

46 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The MPs too. That was a s—t detail. If you were on a Marine Corps base or a Marine Corps air Station it wasn’t so bad. But if you were on a float or a Naval air Station your life was hell. You fell under the Navy SPs who had no qualms at all about sh—ing all over you. 

Oh yeah, I didn't mention the MPs and arty folks because I'm getting no satisfaction out of that. Besides the MP reduction does strike me as a bit odd whereas I totally understand dropping the heavy equipment.

49 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Yep. ‘89-94. Shady and Manifested too.

I haven't seen Mani around in a while, I hope he's doing okay.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yeah me too. The new plan for the Corps actually makes sense. And the tankers are going to move to the Army, which is looking to expand its heavy armor forces anyway, so it should work out nicely. Still don't get why the Corps wants to hold on to four squadrons of F-35Cs. They should give up that mission entirely to the Navy and go totally F-35Bs.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Eastern Front videos on Youtube is always good for the occasional Wehraboo showing up.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra