Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

They might make the cost up in bullets.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/us-forced-to-import-bullets-from-israel-as-troops-use-250000-for-every-rebel-killed-28580666.html

That's a ... lot.  How do you force an enemy seek cover with a rifle that is designed for the opposite though ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

27 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Maybe our accuracy went up in the last 9 years. :lol:

I find the caliber change, 5.56mm --> 6.88mm, to be interesting. Better penetration? Range?

Better everything from what I've read; more energy at greater range, better aerodynamics, less deflection from soft cover because of more kinetic energy and heavier projectile.

Well, weight would be the exception, though the round is slightly lighter than 7.62Nato

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'd assume that they'd still include a suppression weapon in the fire team/squad makeups

The 250k bullet thing is also very misleading since it implies that's how many times we fire at an enemy to get a kill. The article itself even mentions that most of them are used in training in a throwaway line.

Free games updated 3/4/21

35 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Maybe our accuracy went up in the last 9 years. :lol:

I find the caliber change, 5.56mm --> 6.88mm, to be interesting. Better penetration? Range?

Knockdown power. A heavier projectile, depending on the propellant charge & weapon barrel length, at roughly equal velocity will have better stopping power. It will likely come at a cost in range. The M-16/M-4 using 5.56mm has a max effective range of 800m. The 7.62mm used by the AK variants has a max effective of 300M. But in truth hitting a man sized target with a M-16 at 800m is more luck than skill. With an M-4 with it's short barrel it's just not happening.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

tactical nukes launched from stealthy submarines. am feeling safer already.

perhaps not the most creative response to the growing list o' asymmetric threats the US faces, but at least it's worse than nothing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Please... PLEASE.... somebody make this stop....

https://www.stripes.com/news/space-force/spacemen-and-space-cadets-are-out-as-pentagon-officials-wrangle-with-what-to-call-space-force-members-1.617719

Space Cadets! :lol:

Image result for hudson gif
Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

ok, so space force is kinda silly and unnecessary, but that don't mean we oppose it.

*sigh*

is the kinda transactional badness we recent derided in the politics thread, so am gonna do our mea culpas right from the start recognizing is wrong to indulge a wrong just to get what you want. the thing is, nasa and government investment in civilian space applications has benefited most when there has been a military driven raison d'être for the US space program. during space race with the soviet union, there were a couple years where nasa budget were ~4.5% o' total US gdp. steady drop since moon landing and functional soviet capitulation o' the race. the US current total defense budget is less than 3.5% o' total gdp. current nasa budget languishes under .5% total gdp.

every President who cuts nasa budget gets our complaints and criticisms. 

space force is cartoony and stoopid, but if it means nasa benefits, then our deal with the devil is struck. isn't enough for us to keep trump in office, but we won't complain 'bout space force.

nevertheless recognize how the self-aware hypocrite is perhaps worst kind. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
auto spell correct transformed "languishes" into "languages."

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not sure if coffee ever had any military application (other than helping sentries staying awake), but the microwave oven is one of my favourite pieces of military hardware spin-offs 😋

Edit: I know the internet is also a by-product of arms race and military technologies, but you could argue whether or not it's really beneficial for humanity. At least it gives a place to worship cats if nothing else.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What often goes underappreciated is the extent civilian developments affect military R&D. Take for instance the plastics industry of the West; key binders used for making childrens toys had applications in holding together solid fuel rockets for missiles, which in part explains the significant lag the Soviets had in SLBMs (the contemporary Soviet equivalent to the American Trident was the SS-N-20 Sturgeon that was by all accounts unnecessarily huge and consequently much more expensive to build and maintain, leading to its swift retirement after the Cold War ended). Another more obvious example is the civilian aviation industry. A strong civil aviation industry calls for safe and relatively inexpensive air travel, which creates demand for aircraft engines that are more reliable, more fuel-efficient, and less maintenance intensive, expertise that was invaluable for developing similarly robust and reliable engines for fighter jets (for Russian ground crews the MTBO for western jet engines are simply eye-watering).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

52 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Google tells me thats a fresh water plant. :p 

5 kilotons didnt sound like a lot to me so I wanted to compare it to the largest convention munition, the FOAB, and thats only 44 tons! *gets out calculator* 5000/44 = 113.63 FOAB's to equal one W76-2! Wow.

Well you have to keep in mind that the Lance battlefield missile system we had during the Cold War, which was about the smallest of our tac nukes, had a 70kt warhead. So, progress.

Bottom line, we dumped all our tac nukes after the end of the Cold War but the Russians retained many of theirs. In recent years they have fielded a new generation of tac nukes and in particular the highly capable Iskender-M system. Given budget realities, our only option for a response was modifying existing strategic nukes for tactical use as from-scratch new systems are just not going to get through Congress.

Reminds me of the time the Soviets went in the opposite direction... not smaller, but bigger is better. Most stuff around the Tzar Bomba is scary reading, except the one comforting factor that it was too big for any practical application, literally too big. No Soviet plane at the time could reliably deliver it, even if finding suicidal pilots (at full yield, no out flying the explosion). The one and only actual test was with a "gimped" version, which limited it's yield to "only" 50 megatons (edit: and a parachute to slow its descent so the airplane crew could get more time to get away). Without the dampeners it would have yielded 100 megatons.

Basically, screw precision, just turn everything into glass.

Edit2: They just don't make nukes the way they used to... 😂

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Somewhat bizarre situation ongoing in Syria where 13/14 Turkish troops have been killed over the last week. Turkish government claims are that about 150 Syrian troops have been killed in response except... no one else you'd expect to is reporting it at all*. Two separate reprisals days apart killing ~50 and ~100 people about the only response from anyone- including a lot of Turks it has to be said- is mockery of the claims; and near literally no evidence of anything at all happening, no damage information, no death information, no videos, no shouting about murderous neo ottomans and even very little triumphant celebration from the rebel side. While it seems likely that the Turkish deaths took place the reprisals for them simply don't seem to have happened at all.

*well, some media are reporting the claim, many of those as if it's true by default, but there isn't any independent verification at all.

19 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Somewhat bizarre situation ongoing in Syria where 13/14 Turkish troops have been killed over the last week. Turkish government claims are that about 150 Syrian troops have been killed in response except... no one else you'd expect to is reporting it at all*. Two separate reprisals days apart killing ~50 and ~100 people about the only response from anyone- including a lot of Turks it has to be said- is mockery of the claims; and near literally no evidence of anything at all happening, no damage information, no death information, no videos, no shouting about murderous neo ottomans and even very little triumphant celebration from the rebel side. While it seems likely that the Turkish deaths took place the reprisals for them simply don't seem to have happened at all.

*well, some media are reporting the claim, many of those as if it's true by default, but there isn't any independent verification at all.

I saw a report in a mainstream source a few days ago (I think it was a Reuters story) that Turkish and Syrian troops had exchanged fire with Russian troops caught in the middle. Not a surprise at all, something I fully expected and predicted would happen.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell