Politics, local-national-global-galactic

Amentep

6 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Yang2024

Maybe he can run as Bernie's VP.  Then Yang 2021. 

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It looks like we're headed straight for a brokered convention, between these random rises and falls and Bernie unable to strengthen his coalition leading to no-one (important) wanting to drop out. Still early, so something could change, but it's not looking good.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Taking the piss on Scott Morrison and The Liberal Party

Warning, lots of profanity inside the video

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Maybe he can run as Bernie's VP.  Then Yang 2021. 

Bernie has no incentive to pick Yang as VP and seems to be rather hostile to the concept of UBI (preferring a $15/hr minimum wage and a Federal jobs guarantee). But I'd take it in a heartbeat.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

23 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Americans should be sweating profusely over this.

At this point that would be like buckling your seatbelt after the car has already crashed.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

30 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

At this point that would be like buckling your seatbelt after the car has already crashed.

So you figure you guys already have a federal authoritarian regime?

Heja Sverige!!

58 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

So you figure you guys already have a federal authoritarian regime?

I wouldn't go that far. Incompetent and even malicious administrations come and go. Firing ambassadors and advisors for stupid reasons and meddling with the military are all things a President can do. I start swearing when they do things a President CANNOT do and get away with it. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I wouldn't go that far. Incompetent and even malicious administrations come and go. Firing ambassadors and advisors for stupid reasons and meddling with the military are all things a President can do. I start swearing when they do things a President CANNOT do and get away with it. 

I was thinking more of the federal prosecutors resignation thing. It seems seriously damaging to, well, everything.

Heja Sverige!!

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

If only federal judges would resign in solidarity too! :lol:

I see what you did there! :lol::lol:

Thomas Sowell

What happens if the entire Federal Government resigns in protest of itself?

Do we win?

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Possibility of a brokered convention for the Democrats is increasing: https://theweek.com/speedreads/895481/brokered-convention-gets-close-2nd-place-fivethirtyeights-democratic-nomination-forecast

When I heard Biden's new strategy I suspected he is counting on that. If we go out of Super Tuesday with the delegates spread evenly between Sanders, Pete B, Klobuchar, and (depending on his showing) Bloomberg the odds of any one candidate getting enough delegates outright really shrinks. 

This should be a lot of fun to watch.

Imagine if it's Bernie vs Trump. "What is this handbasket we're in and where are we going?"

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Americans should be sweating profusely over this.

sweating? Americans should be angry. where is the anger?

am no longer shocked. four years ago you predict President hillary would collude and obstruct regarding russian election interference, but doj won't pursue criminal 'gainst Pres and the collusion is just shy o' criminal conspiracy. fbi boss is fired because o' the investigation into hillary and President's wh counsel refuses to lie to press 'bout reasons behind such, but even then we get no obstruction charges. Pres hillary can't get an infrastructure program implemented and Congress specific refuses to fund, so she declares inability to fund is an emergency and then, following a government shutdown which costs the nation billions, takes money from DoD, money which would go towards rebuilding housing destroyed during recent hurricanes as well as pilfering funds which would otherwise be allocated to much needed national levee repair projects. Pres hillary then active conspires with a  foreign power to investigate a political rival and when gets caught doing so, dems pretend as if is no biggie... after which those who testified 'gainst Pres hillary is punished in various petty and dishonorable ways. military commanders and former generals keep resigning from her staff in protest and her staff becomes a parade o' lap dogs and yes men.  oh, and when one o' the d-bags related to the election collusion and obstruction stuff does get convicted, Pres hillary steps in and gets the doj to change their sentence recommendation after were submitted to the judge, at which point every prosecutor involved save a guy filling in for an individual who were becoming a Pres hillary appointee resigns en masse in protest... and the hillary appointee sudden no longer is an appointee and won't need testify before Congress in the upcoming week.

oh, and Pres hillary not only cozies up with just 'bout every major authoritarian leader you might care to mention, but she throws montenegro under the bus even after the russians resorted to an overt coup attempt in part to prevent that nation from joining nato.

is not as gd suggests. is not anything like business as usual. if you had given even cynical gd the aforementioned Pres hillary examples pre 2016 election, am guessing he woulda' thought you were a deranged chicken little. nobody predicted this. wors, nobody woulda' predicted relative indifference o' near 1/2 the country.

as to the blame silliness... blame media. blame judges. blame immigrants. blame Constitution.

only positive is such obtuseness is a useful litmus test for ignorance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

is not as gd suggests. is not anything like business as usual. if you had given even cynical gd the aforementioned Pres hillary examples pre 2016 election, am guessing he woulda' thought you were a deranged chicken little. nobody predicted this. wors, nobody woulda' predicted relative indifference o' near 1/2 the country.

as to the blame silliness... blame media. blame judges. blame immigrants. blame Constitution.

only positive is such obtuseness is a useful litmus test for ignorance.

HA! Good Fun!

My opinion of Hillary Clinton is so low I can't say I'd be entirely surprised by that example. But then again maybe I would be. I would assume in her 20+ years in and around politics she just might  have picked up an inkling of ethics. Certainly nothing she would not freely ignore when circumstances dictated. But an inkling that would have made some of that surprising.  

As for the indifference of our countrymen I'm afraid it's worse than you realize. Fully 1/2 of the 1/2 do not even believe he did anything wrong. The media is lying, the Democrats are lying, it's all a coup attempt, etc. We live in a world where objective truth does not exist. Of course the people who supposedly trade in the objective truth, namely the news media, has damaged their own credibility. After crying wolf so often it really sucks when an actual wolf moves in.

You are an educated man. Have you ever heard of The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary? It defines a cynic as  "a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are not as they ought to be.”  

Thomas Sowell

opinion o' hillary is immaterial. in 2016 is no way gd believes we get the totality we described 'bove. sure, gd mighta' expected his standard conspiracy worthy stuff which woulda' included all kinda evils hidden just beyond the view o' the public that nobody but him and a few dozen conservative radio guys woulda' recognized for truth. however, none o' the stuff we describe is disputed facts. the public knows but chooses to view complete different depending on no substantive difference save party affiliation or tribalism or whatnot. regardless, the indifference o' Americans to extreme excess is NOT business as usual.  get to this point is not business as usual.

we have quoted ambrose bierce more than once and linked devil's dictionary definitions as well as the entirety o' the occurrence at owl creek bridge french movie which were the only instance o' the twilight zone airing an episode not created by rod serling. am no stranger to bierce and cynicism, but is no way we coulda' imagined we would be where we are today.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, Gromnir said:

sweating? Americans should be angry. where is the anger?

Why would they be angry?

You are listing things that are concerning to almost no one's daily life and problems. 

Why would a family that got of the food stamps care that Trump fired a guy groomed by foreign nation? Why would people scared every day of the illegals gang members roaming their neighborhoods care where the money for the wall came from? Why would a person who finnaly got a job care about some rich guys resigning from their jobs like a fussy brats?

People don't care about political fights at the top and as GD pointed out there was just to much dumb and false accusations about president that average person gave up in sorting what is or isn't true and are going with who is doing something for them and don't attack them. Not everyone is fond of being called names like Dems darling Biden does to people. 

166215__front.jpg

Honest Government Ads... slightly addictive. What's not to love about East Timor? Except the truth of course (when you're Australian). A bit of dirt from the down under side of the world. Mind you, they not only take shots at the Australian government, they got some good videos that puts the Indonesia and the US on display too.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

More and more Donald Trump is in complete control of the Executive Branch. He listens only to his own whims and fires or runs off anyone who isn't a sycophantic yes man. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-quietly-trims-dozens-of-national-security-experts/ar-BBZWzfK?ocid=spartandhp

I should probably be sweating as Pidesco said. Somehow I just can't make myself give a s--t anymore. We are getting the government we deserve and getting it good and hard and right in the....

Thomas Sowell

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am no stranger to bierce and cynicism, but is no way we coulda' imagined we would be where we are today.

I never thought we'd have an administration where someone says a President is like an elected king. And here we are. Of course the 44 before this one had more than a little idea of who and what the President of the United States is and does. I suppose it was inevitable we were going to elect someone who has no idea what they were doing. Now that we've gotten that out of our system hopefully we will never do THAT again. 

No matter what happens in November I'll be a lot happier in January as long as Congress remains split with unbridgeable divides and not in the control of any one Party. Especially not the one the President represents. Like I've said before, nothing is often better than something. 

Thomas Sowell

22 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

More and more Donald Trump is in complete control of the Executive Branch. He listens only to his own whims and fires or runs off anyone who isn't a sycophantic yes man. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-quietly-trims-dozens-of-national-security-experts/ar-BBZWzfK?ocid=spartandhp

I should probably be sweating as Pidesco said. Somehow I just can't make myself give a s--t anymore. We are getting the government we deserve and getting it good and hard and right in the....

Isn't that how Executive branch works in US? President elected to be the guy in charge?

Also why would you be afraid that NSC members are gone? As far as I remember they werent there few years ago and everything was ok. Wasn't it Obama who inflated NSC members through the roof?

Trump is just doing what he promises by deflating the number of people in administration. People voted for that.

166215__front.jpg

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I never thought we'd have an administration where someone says a President is like an elected king. And here we are. Of course the 44 before this one had more than a little idea of who and what the President of the United States is and does. I suppose it was inevitable we were going to elect someone who has no idea what they were doing. Now that we've gotten that out of our system hopefully we will never do THAT again. 

No matter what happens in November I'll be a lot happier in January as long as Congress remains split with unbridgeable divides and not in the control of any one Party. Especially not the one the President represents. Like I've said before, nothing is often better than something. 

There's a kind of employee so terrible that companies will often be better off paying them to stay at home, rather than having them show up for work and screw things up. Perhaps the Trump admin is now these sort of people at very level. so maybe the best thing for the US is to go into a permanent government shutdown, at least until the next election. Anarcho-capitalism for-the-not-really-win-but-at-least-not-wholesale-catastrophe .

Heja Sverige!!