that's 3 separate computers, sound still cuts out

LoudAngryJerk

Question

I recently decided to play through the whole series again. 1st game went great. when I loaded up the 2nd game, I was instantly met with some kind of bug where the sound cuts out at random. I've tried it on 3 separate computers, my gaming, home office, and work computers, and all three of them have this issue. One of them is fresh built with new parts.

No other games have this issue. I don't know what to do.

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, thelee said:

what are the specs for each of those computers?

it is a complete cut-out? or does the sound come back? Is it triggered by any kind of recurring event (e.g. how do you reproduce it?)

I honestly dont know the specs for my office computer, but it ran the new wolfenstein well enough. my home office is kind of a toaster, but it plays WoW fine, so this game (no disrespect intended) should be fine. It's got a gtx 1050ti for graphics, I don't remember what motherboard it used, but its about 3 years old, and it worked fine 6 months ago when I was playing deadfire. It has an intel i7 4790 processor. 

My gaming laptop is brand new, it's nothing special. Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. It does me just fine on everything else. 

as for the issue itself, it starts as soon as I start up a save file, and the sound cuts in and out, like if you're listening to music headphones with bad wire. There's no popping or anything, its just that the audio turns on and off seemingly at random.

1 thing that does seem to help is alt tabbing out for like 5 minutes. Seems to work just fine till I close the game down again.

6 minutes ago, LoudAngryJerk said:

I honestly dont know the specs for my office computer, but it ran the new wolfenstein well enough. my home office is kind of a toaster, but it plays WoW fine, so this game (no disrespect intended) should be fine. It's got a gtx 1050ti for graphics, I don't remember what motherboard it used, but its about 3 years old, and it worked fine 6 months ago when I was playing deadfire. It has an intel i7 4790 processor. 

Alas, no disrespect to Obsidian (this is more a complement to Blizzard), WoW and other blizzard games are designed to be run even on almost literal potatoes, so being able to run WoW just fine is no indication.

Haswell is kind of pushing it, but honestly I have a broadwell (only slightly better haswell) with a 1060 and have no problems running at 1080p aside from maybe slightly longer load times and a bit more jitter than my main gaming PC, so i feel like a haswel with 1050ti should be fine.

Are you running through Steam? GOG? Any mods? Can you pull up performance numbers (FPS mostly)?

8 minutes ago, LoudAngryJerk said:

Steam, no mods. How do I show framerate?

steam should have an option to show FPS in-game.

mostly i'm wondering if there's a CPU bottlenecking happen that would show up in a frame rate drop despite low gpu utilization. that's the only thing i can think of causing sound to cut in and out (basically you're struggling to stream in sound data). anecdotally, i have had sound cut in and out before on my beefy gaming cpu, but only once in a while and doesn't seem connected to performance issues, so i'm pretty much grasping at straws here.

also try verifying your install.