I'm curious to hear if anyone has any strong opinions on how to do this. The options, to save y'all some time, are:

Thermally Stable (+15 defenses against Fire/Frost) --> Bronze Core (also +15 defenses against Acid) vs. Nonconductive (also +15 defenses against Electricity)

and

Arcane Interference (+15% resistance against Evocation/Conjuration/Illusion) --> Apostatism (also +15% resistance against Punishment/Condemnation) vs. Arcane Suppression (upgrades the original 15% against Evocation/Conjuration/Illusion to 25%)

It's currently the go-to shield for a tanky crusader who just ties down as many enemies as there is space around her to engage, but it could also be the plan B for a melee who needs to bunker up if given too much attention (uses Nerian's Ward for that right now).

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I honestly found it an incredibly underwhelming payoff for such a late game quest so I hardly ever used it, but when I do use it I leave myself to Nonconductive and Suppression. Punishment/Condemnation is quite uncommon in the late game, and rarely ever a big deal and anecdotally I feel like acid damage is rather rare compared to electricity. (Note: answer changes a bit if you're gearing up for a megaboss fight because in that case I think Bronze Core is better against Huane O Whe)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thelee said:

I honestly found it an incredibly underwhelming payoff for such a late game quest so I hardly ever used it, but when I do use it I leave myself to Nonconductive and Suppression. Punishment/Condemnation is quite uncommon in the late game, and rarely ever a big deal and anecdotally I feel like acid damage is rather rare compared to electricity. (Note: answer changes a bit if you're gearing up for a megaboss fight because in that case I think Bronze Core is better against Huane O Whe)

On the other hand, sticking with Nonconductive and Suppression sets you up against another megaboss, specifically Sigilmaster Auranic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ascaloth said:

On the other hand, sticking with Nonconductive and Suppression sets you up against another megaboss, specifically Sigilmaster Auranic.

that's true, but in general I find Sigilmaster Auranic to be waaaay easier than Hauane O Whe and less needing of explicit equipment gearing. Rest in Konstanten's room, bring along some potions of (improved, if possible) arcane reflection and those potions that give you resolve resistance or svef.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Never use it since Cadhu Scalth is so much better (with the proper skillset). But I think in general I would stick to the Thermally Stable --> Nonconductive route... I guess...?   

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 years later...

This is thread is ancient but since its the first result for searching for Deadfire Mundane Shell its as good a place as any for me to report that this item is bugged in that the frost resistance part of thermally stable doesn't work, you only get the resistance against fire effects. Discovered while trying to stand inside friendly call of rymrgand + maelstrom and not take damage.

• Like 2

You mean you'll get the +15 defense bonus against fire attacks but not frost attacks? Well that's lame...

Edit: I cannot confirm that. Here Aloth is casting a Chillfog on my MC who wears the (non-upgraded) Mundane Shell:
mundane_shell_frost_test_1.png?rlkey=i4j

Edit 2: upgraded to Nonconductive (+15 defense against shock), still works.
The problem seems to be the implementation of Maelstrom, not the shield. The spell has a separate frost part with a separate attack roll and then a secondary roll with the other elements. The frost part seems to be lacking the proper "frost" keyword I guess, so the shield does nothing - while it applies BOTH defensive buffs to the second attack roll because that is keyworded with fire AND shock:
mundane_shell_test_2.png?rlkey=embtjmvsr

Edit 3: tested Call of Rymrgand with the shield and it works:
mundane_shell_test_3.png?rlkey=5uql5mc88

So I believe only Maelstrom's faulty keywording was the problem. Of course one could find that certain enemies' elemental abilities also might lack the proper keyword, but  that's just speculation on my part.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But as you can see in my Edit Nr 3 with screenshot where I tested Call of Rymrgand, the +15 defense buff applies properly. Do you use any mods that tamper with keywords maybe?

Edited by Boeroer

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

Maelstorm isn't lacking Frost KW, it is literally cold water, not ice related stuff. 

It does frost damage with its first or two attack rolls per pulse. 

Here is the ingame tooltip that lists the frost keyword and shows the two separate rolls, too:
maelstrom_keywords.png?rlkey=sxw3flx6d9b
Sorry for the unfortunate placement of the lil "Burn" popup there, but I guess one can still read what's underneath with the freeze roll. When you look at the combat log the first crush/freeze attack won't be registered as freeze although it will cause freeze damage. Maybe it has something to do with the damage types - but the second roll with burn and shock gets both defensive boosts, so there both elements register.

Edited by Boeroer

21 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Do you use any mods that tamper with keywords maybe?

Uhh, maybe I'm the one with the mod that is tampering with the keywords. 😄 I know in the Community Patch (that I use) @Phenomenum added priest related keywords to certain priest spells where they were missing or faulty. Maybe he also fixed Call of Rymrgand and added the frost keyword? Maybe... 

5 minutes ago, limaxophobiacq said:

I have community patch installed, but even when disabling it in menu and restarting it still happens. Works fine against other frost spells.

Did you also install the keyword part of the CP mod?

It's weird that we both have the same mod but for me Call of Rymrgand will face the +15 defense biff from the shield - but for you it doesn't. Wild...

Edited by Boeroer

Boiling spray is Hot water and has burn damages without Fire KW. Many druid spells have Decay instead of Acid.

The KW general rules are a topic on their own, but I'm pretty sure Maelstorm having Water instead of Frost is quite intended. 

Maybe,  but still it does have the frost keyword in my screenshot (see below) and yet the enchantment of the shield doesn't apply.

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

maelstrom_keywords.png?rlkey=sxw3flx6d9b

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Uhh, maybe I'm the one with the mod that is tampering with the keywords. 😄 I know in the Community Patch (that I use) @Phenomenum added priest related keywords to certain priest spells where they were missing or faulty. Maybe he also fixed Call of Rymrgand and added the frost keyword? Maybe... 

one of the few mods I use is the community patch bugfixes only and it does fix kw rather broadly (and also fixes a few other things), which is why i have it.

includes call of rymrgand:

Screenshot2024-01-24at9_00_13AM.png.650a15e7833fa4de330ea9d6c3ea418b.png

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 1