Benweth is missing from Blow the Man Down quest

Chwaee

Question

Hello,

This is a repost of the link at the bottom of this post, I'm just moving it to a more appropriate category.

I seem to have an issue where Benweth went missing, but I didn't kill him. 
Without progressing far into the quest, I went up to the command space, sneaked and triggered the bell to open the secret door. When I stepped it, the game triggered a conversation with the captain, which was supposed to end in combat, but since I was sneaking, the combat didn't trigger.  He was over my level by two skulls, so I simply walked away, without engaging in combat, and certainly not killing him.

I progressed other parts of the game, until I was a high enough level, and came back to kill Benweth. I slaughtered everyone, and went to every portion of the map, but I could not find Benweth. Since I can't kill the captain that isn't there, and I killed all of the other NPC's for the other possible ways to complete the quest, it is now stuck.

Is this intentional, maybe he is hiding somewhere else in the game? I would have assumed the quest would update at that point. Could I have missed a secret trap door? I even went to the secret dock, so I don't think this is the case.

Here is a link to my saved game:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bcHFK9sUY4UbzTZW3gHI2NURVrV4cvpW

Any suggestions on what steps I can do to fix it? Could the beta patch fix this? Please help!
Thank you,
Chwaee

3 answers to this question

Deadfire is "done". Chances of a content patch are pretty much inexistent, chances of a bugfix patch... quite tiny :(

I think your best bet is spawning Benweth with the console, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Note that doing so will disable achievements for your playthrough. Failing that, you could probably set the quest outcome with the console and give yourself his loot while you're at it, if killing him is the solution you have in mind.

And while I'm here, not to sound too preachy... in the standard encounter Benweth has like five goons helping him. You worked your way to ambushing him alone, and probably had a full party, so the two skulls wouldn't have helped him much :) I mean he's actually terrified of you in that situation and doesn't even want a fight.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Thanks 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Ahhh, I thought about doing a console solution, but I didn't want to disable achievements, not that I care much for them. 
Alternatively, I've decided to just kill all Principi in my campaign haha. Not sure how it's going to work out but whatever haha.

Thanks for the reply, mate!

It's absurd that a game-breaking bug like this survived to the final patch and beyond. Just happened to me too - I confronted him head-on in command, the conversation fired, then combat started but B wasn't there. I killed everyone but there was no sign of him during the battle.

Edit: I had to go back and do the Lamond path (stealing his ship) which did lure Benewith up to the rampart allowing me to kill him - so at least that's a workaround.

Edited by Daniel Oz