S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S of the Obsidian Order

Katphood

Dear god,  STALKER 2 on epic store would be my worst nightmare. :(

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Why? You've waited ten years. You can wait one more, which comes with the added bonuses of patches and a mature modding community.

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

29 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Why? You've waited ten years. You can wait one more, which comes with the added bonuses of patches and a mature modding community.

It is because I've waited ten years for a real successor that I don't want to wait one more.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah, I kind of just assume it's all hack fraudulence until proven otherwise. There's been too much time in between this one and the last (and also I didn't think either Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat were nearly as good or interesting as Shadow of Chernobyl), plus the developer had been completely dissolved for a time, plus now there's an engine change, etc. Expecting nothing with a project like this simply makes the most sense.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My main concern is whether this will be a game worthy of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. name. What storefront(s) it appears on is a VERY distant second.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 1/4/2020 at 10:05 AM, Lexx said:

A game I can easily ignore. I'm still burned out from the horrible Clear Sky.

I'd recommend giving Call of Pripyat a shake. For a great deal many STALKER fans who were in a similar boat as you that title managed to win them back.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I did. Played for a few hours then quit, because the flame was already out and it almost bored me to death. Certainly the least buggy Stalker game I've played, but it was too late.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I can sympathize with that, even though I honestly did have alot of fun with Clear Sky. I kind of liked the thought behind the faction war systems and such even though the execution was frustrating. I ought to get some time in Misery mod before Cyberpunk arrives though. I've got high enough hopes for that game that I've applied for 50 days of vacation.

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I've got high enough hopes for that game that I've applied for 50 days of vacation.

And here I am with my three weeks of PTO banked up for just that occasion 😛.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

10 hours ago, Agiel said:

And here I am with my three weeks of PTO banked up for just that occasion 😛.

Granted my boss still hasn't ok'd it, but the first year I worked I couldn't take any vacation time, second year I only managed to get two weeks off, then got put on sick-leave for 6 months, a few months after that I got injured again, and again, and again and on and off, and now I sit here with 25 saved vacation days, and 25 new coming in february.

And now I actually have a reason to take a vacation! 😃

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I wish I could bank days. All mine are "use them or lose them" and resets every 1 Jan.

That sucks,

Though normally you have to take atleast 20 days, if you haven't then you get sent on a few vacation days whenever they feel like it, if they don't  - they get fined. Alot.

Or maybe, you guys could live like I do: you have all the time in the world but you have no money to buy games with!

Unemployment is not something I'd recommend to people though. 😜

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

5 hours ago, Katphood said:

Or maybe, you guys could live like I do: you have all the time in the world but you have no money to buy games with!

Unemployment is not something I'd recommend to people though. 😜

Spent age 19 to 30 basically unemployed, I've had enough of that :p

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, 213374U said:

Thinking that way means you can't be morally righteous and indignant, which is no fun. After all, you can't have fun if you actually play games.

11 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I wish I could bank days. All mine are "use them or lose them" and resets every 1 Jan.

That's rough. Our plan has the "rollover" of unused time off above an arbitrary annual limit reimbursed as back pay on the last paycheck of the year.

-Rod Serling

"This announcement has nothing to do with platforms or digital stores."
"We will talk about this later."

...just stop pretending, you'll make it Epic exclusive as soon as it's near finished and people have already gotten excited. 😛
...at any rate, I never did play these games. I bought them and got a couple hours into Pripyat. At the time I liked it/seemed decent, but (per usual) didn't end up committing/returning.  Still, I'll be curious what a # 2 will end up being like.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, Agiel said:

I'd recommend giving Call of Pripyat a shake. For a great deal many STALKER fans who were in a similar boat as you that title managed to win them back.

I suppose it's understandable for some.  The starting area in CoP does come off as kind of draggy at first it's once you hit Yanov where things really pick up.

You'd probably have to be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fanatic  like us to beat CoP.  And games like these take iron dedication to get through the rough beginning and hit the sweet spot (which was sorely lacking in Clear Sky I might add).

I rank CoP best in terms of sheer content and side quests, whilst SoC has the best plot/narrative.

I'd suspect that the quests are one of the things that put a lot of people off CoP initially. The first couple you're likely to do can be punishingly difficult or finicky for the stealth one even if you played the first game on its hardest difficulty. The first SoC quest is certainly hard, but it's fair- the first CoP one (from memory) involves radiation, a constricted area and enemies spawning in once you get the object. You also have a pretty garbage gun to start off with despite being a major, not even a full fat AK. You start off worse equipped in CoP but that has an explanation and you can use a silenced Makarov/ sawn off for the 1st mission fine.

Personally CoP felt a bit too 'scripted' for my tastes and lacked the chaotic free form feeling of SoC. It also (mostly) lacked my favourite bits of SoC, the fantastically atmospheric X labs and underground sections. Still a good game and definitely worth playing, just not as good as SoC.

• Like 2

SoC was way more scripted and directed than CoP.  You're guided through the game at a steady pace.  Doesn't make it bad but that's what it was.

And like I said CoP does start out a little rough but once you hit Yanov is when it really shines.  There are some decent side quests in Zaton,  just the main ones are a little rough around the edges at first with its over saturation of environmental hazards and that's probably what threw off a lot of players.  For dedicated STALKERS its on obstacle, for the average FPS gamer it's game breaking.

Yeah, I'd admit that scripted isn't quite the right word and that's why I put it in quotes- especially since the X labs were my favourite part and they're fairly rigorously scripted.

It's more of a subjective feeling than anything objective. The thematic difference is perhaps best summed up by the protagonists; Degtaryev is a soldier whereas in SoC your mission is personal and a lot more mysterious (though of course amnesia is a cliché way to get mystery).

I also suspect it's partly because I found companions and significant NPCs had way better survivability in CoP compared to SoC, so tended to have a lot more talking and a lot more team feeling missions in CoP as a result.