Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I wonder what they put in truckstop foods... 🤔

😘

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There are some pretty good restaurants and/or food trucks at or near some truck stops. Unfortunately, they are the exception, rather than the norm these days. The vast majority of the time, your options are limited to whatever fast food restaurant is at the truck stop, typically McDonalds, Wendys, Subway, etc. and the roller hotdogs, sitting under heat lamps for hours burritos and burgers, and whatever other junk they have. You can usually at the very least find a supermarket-level premade salad, so there are usually some "healthy" options, but you are definitely very limited in that area.

California has some good Indian food at some truck stops, and there's a halfway decent chance of getting some good BBQ or Mexican in Texas. In my experiences, those are the 2 best states for finding good food at or near truck stops. There is good food in other states near truck stops, but far more sparsely scattered.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away"

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Back in my day, we would say...read a chapter, then take a quiz or two (hell, iirc the quizzes were even built into the textbooks at the end of each chapter), then take a test. It was that way for my kid too. Nowadays is it read chapter --> take test --> pass/fail?  

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Back in my day, we would say...read a chapter, then take a quiz or two (hell, iirc the quizzes were even built into the textbooks at the end of each chapter), then take a test. It was that way for my kid too. Nowadays is it read chapter --> take test --> pass/fail?  

The difference in the tweet Raithe posted is if you fail, you go back and redo it until you show you know the material. 

Which sounds like the right way to do things, but in education teachers are usually trying to push through a ton of content, and so they rush, and they lose focus on getting it right because they are trying to get it all in. Plus some teachers are just unmerciful bastards.

50 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Does the whole class have to wait for the failing students to pass, or are they set aside until they eventually (?) catch up?

Ideally every student is given enough room to learn at their own pace and no one is getting left behind or waiting on others.

40vNSKpjLyFwxl89AoeoXdzPJjTCiOouF-ZjF90A 

As for holding students back, it is a strange consequence of the No Child Left Behind Act that retentions have been cut in half. Technically NCLB was supposed to give measurable data to support retention, but really standardized testing only measures how good a kid is at taking tests and ignores all the social and emotional factors that play into it. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/12/12/370057298/big-drop-in-students-being-held-back-but-why

Edited by Hurlshot

had a class at berkeley which were kinda unique. english 1a were the basic writing skills class everybody in, as far as we know, every public CA college system needs take to get any kinda degree. is one o' those classes which professors lament 'cause the % o' incoming students unprepared for the course is increasing.

anywho, our professor for 1a, this old guy who looked exact like walt whitman, informed class there were no grades 'less we wanted 'em and we only needed attend class until we proved we had attained satisfactory 1a proficiency. we were to be assigned an essay every week, and if in week one we proved we were skilled at writing, we would never again need attend class. point o' class, 'ccording to walt whitman's doppelganger, were to provide us with the writing skills needed to succeed in university, so stay in class after having proven such proficiency were not required.

thought the guy were joking.

am embarrassed to admit it took us until week two to pass the class.

we got no problem with tracy edwards approach, depending on the nature o' her tests. if is mindless multiple choice and short answer knowledge tests, then offer same test multiple times is not gonna show learning. if is random kinda essay questions exams, not necessarily same exact test, or some other skill-based measure, then am okie dokie with rinse and repeat. if goal is to promote learning, then multiple stabs at same target is hardly problematic.

'course one needs also recognize how at some point the do-over mentality won't cut it. if you train kids to expect second and third chances, then when they gets to a competitive university or to real world, they may not be prepared for the cold and harsh reality o' life.  focus on 5th graders learning material as 'posed to being concerned 'bout achieving a specific grade? fine. but how 'bout eighth grade? or tenth?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That redo logic works fine... until you are a doctor operating on someone's heart. L0L

If they fail can they redo it? or do they lose the patient, lose their license, get fined, and go to prison? LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ideally, the doctor doesn't get out of medical school until they demonstrates the ability to perform the surgeey successful. They can probably spend as many years and as much money trying to pass as they want.

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Ideally, the doctor doesn't get out of medical school until they demonstrates the ability to perform the surgeey successful. They can probably spend as many years and as much money trying to pass as they want.

am not sure what med schools hurl is imagining. in grad school and law school we couldn't fail classes w/o risk o' being kicked out o' the program. grad school "fail" meant less than a 3.0. day 1 law school started off with the traditional look-left-and-look-right speech. at least 1/3 won't make the cut. limited spaces and resources meant keeping dead weight 'round waiting for an epiphany moment were not gonna happen.

competitive med schools is more relaxed than law school? maybe, but would be a surprise. regardless, you don't graduate med school and know how to do genuine surgery neither. residency is where you learn to be a doctor for reals. 

am admitting we know less 'bout residency than we should. residency models as described to us all sound archaic and stoopid. regardless, am having a hard time imagining young doctors is being coddled during residency.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is our understanding dentists actual beat doctors for many o' the stuff christine lahti mentions. the business side o' being a dentist is particular unforgiving.

• Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

21 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

The difference in the tweet Raithe posted is if you fail, you go back and redo it until you show you know the material. 

Which sounds like the right way to do things, but in education teachers are usually trying to push through a ton of content, and so they rush, and they lose focus on getting it right because they are trying to get it all in. Plus some teachers are just unmerciful bastards.

It's the right way to do education... just make sure your charges know the real world will be MUCH less forgiving!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell