Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

I'm real thirsty now 😄

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Atlas Obscura - Tristan da Cunha

609aabc26e7f9a75c28bd4698af6c6cb34c8ff56

The world's most remote permanent settlement on an active volcano. 

When your closest neighbor is 1800 miles away, you know you’re living in a pretty isolated place. Actually, you know you’re living in the most remote permanent settlement in the world, Tristan de Cunha, an island first discovered during the age of the great explorers and European world domination.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ten Tips From Scientists Who Have Spent Months in Isolation

"“The lesson that I learned there that was very useful on the Space Station was you can’t pick your team, and spending any time wishing your crewmates were different is a waste of time,” she says.

"Useful words, perhaps, for those of us stuck at home with squabbling roommates or nit-picking mothers-in-law."

some o' the advice is obvious-- most is. worth a look regardless. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And for the dose of weird..

Engineer deliberately ran train off the tracks in an attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'"

The train crashed into a concrete barrier at the end of the track, smashed through a steel barrier and a chain-link fence, slid through one parking lot and then a second lot filled with gravel and hit a second chain-link fence. It came to rest after passing under a ramp leading to the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The train remained in that position Wednesday.

No one was injured in the derailment, but the train leaked fuel that required a hazmat response.

Authorities say Moreno admitted to crashing the train intentionally, but said he did not plan it out in advance. It is believed that he acted alone.

He allegedly made statements to a CHP officer that included "You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to. People don't know what's going on here. Now they will."

Officials say video from inside the train's cab shows Moreno holding a lighted flare during the incident.

Moreno has been charged with one count of train wrecking, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison.

BBC - Forbidden footage of WW2 workers at Bletchley Park

The work that Bletchley Park and MI6 did during World War Two, was instrumental in the allies’ victory.

But until now, there hasn't been any video showing what life was like on the sites dedicated to this work.

This all changed when a piece of film was anonymously donated to Bletchley Park Trust, providing an unprecedented insight into the lives of those there.

• Like 2

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Canadian man attempting solo circumnavigation of the globe is the safest man on Earth: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/lone-canadian-sailing-the-globe-may-be-literally-the-safest-human-on-earth/

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Canadian man attempting solo circumnavigation of the globe is the safest man on Earth: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/lone-canadian-sailing-the-globe-may-be-literally-the-safest-human-on-earth/

I'd rather take my chances with Corona, I honestly think the odds off survival are better 😛

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Man finds $8.2M in his checking account by mistake: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8216195/Indiana-man-checked-bank-account-1-700-stimulus-check-deposited-8million.html

Kudos to him for honesty. The instant I realized it was there I would have wired it to a Cayman account, then wired it a few more places before using it to by bitcoin or bullion or something. Then I would have vanished into thin air. Take the dogs, burn the house, don't even leave any of my DNA behind to be tracked. Lay low until I can get a fake passport then off to some s--t hole country that will let me buy a passport & ID no questions asked. After that... disappear for good. Never come back to the US because they WILL catch you!

Thomas Sowell

55 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Man finds $8.2M in his checking account by mistake: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8216195/Indiana-man-checked-bank-account-1-700-stimulus-check-deposited-8million.html

Kudos to him for honesty. The instant I realized it was there I would have wired it to a Cayman account, then wired it a few more places before using it to by bitcoin or bullion or something. Then I would have vanished into thin air. Take the dogs, burn the house, don't even leave any of my DNA behind to be tracked. Lay low until I can get a fake passport then off to some s--t hole country that will let me buy a passport & ID no questions asked. After that... disappear for good. Never come back to the US because they WILL catch you!

They'd still hunt you down, theft like that is a serious issue when you're little people.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://the-avocado.org/2018/03/28/an-incomplete-history-of-the-akira-bike-slide/

sGgY8wN.gif

Didn't think it was that commonly referenced.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9Gag - Henry Cavil has been painting Warhammer miniatures while passing time in lockdown

a1Rze5b_700b.jpg

Considering we are, both, going through the Easter period, and going through The Lockdown, I figured it a good time to put a silver lining onto the cloud that is some of the darker moments during this time. So I've decided to polish some old skills and try my hand at some new ones! It is a time of rebirth after all. So, as you can see here, the obvious might look a little bit like a tiny helmet...which it is. One of my almost life long hobbies, that I've been following but not actively doing, is this. A company called Games Workshop...or plastic crack as "we" call it. Genuinely can't get enough of the lore they have built over the decades. They have been some of my most enthused reads! If you were in denial about me being a geek before, you can't hide from it now. Also, in the background of this photo, there may just be some completely new skills I'm working on.....or there may not be, so all of your eye squinting and attempts at digital unfocusing will be in vain....orrrr maybe they won't.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank, from the bottom of my heart, all of the NHS (National Health Service, here in the UK) and healthcare workers worldwide, for your unceasing efforts to protect us. I imagine it might be feeling a little rough right now, but you Ladies and Gents are absolutely smashing it! Keep it up! You got this. "Hold on a second", I hear you utter....."if he has both hands in the photo...how is he taking the photo??" New skills, my friends....new skills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

At least they didn't just shoot it to save time and effort. Good on them.

Doesn't mean they didn't beat the holy hell out of it once subdued then arrested/broke the phones of all the witnesses. Or maybe they only do that to people.

Thomas Sowell