Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

10 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

governments forcing this kinda model onto a business owner = bad

the capitalist voluntarily choosing a more egalitarian business model which allows employed to not only survive but prosper = good

am not sure what is the genuine basis o' rush limbaugh's concerns, but we do recognize it could be more difficult to retain particular capable employees if you got a less flexible compensation scheme. is there enough qualified people willing to potential work for less if is for a perceived good cause? regardless, am less concerned than am hopeful. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

26 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

governments forcing this kinda model onto a business owner = bad

the capitalist voluntarily choosing a more egalitarian business model which allows employed to not only survive but prosper = good

Governments creating jobs that ensures employees prosper and forcing private companies to compete = best.

44 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Isn't that the one where you try to move under a very low bar?

Well, Limbaugh and very, very low bar do go hand in hand

Edited by ShadySands
forgot the very and added and extra one
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Sit, stay forever: Americans willing to pay top dollar to keep old dogs alive

There is little I would not do for my pups. Up to a point. No treatment puts years back on the calendar. When Tommy was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma he was 13 years old. Even if he survived the treatment and disease (both long shots) nothing will change the fact that as a large dog his body was breaking down. If I were in my 70's and diagnosed with cancer I doubt every much I'd even consent to treatment beyond pain management. If it's not that it's the next thing that comes up. 

But when Sunny was diagnosed with Cushings she was only 9 (give or take, Not really sure how old she is). There is a cost vs reward calculation that has to be made. And it's not a financial cost, although that might be a consideration. It's a cost the pet has to pay. If the treatment returns them to full health it's a no-brainer to me. But if it only extends a poor quality of life (and that is a judgement call you have to make) it's kinder to let them go. It's a hell of a thing isn't it? You love them more than your own life. They trust you with theirs. And you will someday have to decide when that ends. 

• Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

41 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I had to put my good girl down on 28 Dec, one month shy of her 15th birthday. I still tear up if I think about it too much. ;( 

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I can't imagine how painful it must have been.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I had to put my good girl down on 28 Dec, one month shy of her 15th birthday. I still tear up if I think about it too much. ;( 

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. sometimes I think I spend more time missing dogs who have passed on than focusing on the ones here now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

CNN - I report on technology. And I got hacked.

CNN tech reporter Donie O'Sullivan thought he was being safe on social media. Watch social engineer & SocialProof Security CEO Rachel Tobac prove him very, very wrong.
  • Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Same but only if my name was Eric Gibb

I'm not scared of heights, I just don't trust them

aren't most o' the highways leading in and out o' denver containing stretches with little more than a laughable guardrail between you and oblivion?  is not even road shoulder in a few such places. white line for edge o' road is 'bout a foot away from guardrail, or so it seems when driving.

we got some kinda weird genetic flaw which makes us callous indifferent to heights. am knowing how even short falls may be lethal but is as if our brain refuses to take such stuff serious. were a helpful (maybe not) attribute while we were working roofing many years past, but at this ages such narrow stoopid has us doing foolish stuff with ladders which don't resonate 'til after we is back on terra firma and reflect for a moment.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

58 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

aren't most o' the highways leading in and out o' denver containing stretches with little more than a laughable guardrail between you and oblivion?  is not even road shoulder in a few such places. white line for edge o' road is 'bout a foot away from guardrail, or so it seems when driving.

we got some kinda weird genetic flaw which makes us callous indifferent to heights. am knowing how even short falls may be lethal but is as if our brain refuses to take such stuff serious. were a helpful (maybe not) attribute while we were working roofing many years past, but at this ages such narrow stoopid has us doing foolish stuff with ladders which don't resonate 'til after we is back on terra firma and reflect for a moment.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm weird in a different way, I have no problem with low ladders generally, but when we start talking about bonebreaking heights I chicken out. If it's high enough that I will go splat and not to have to worry about broken bones and paraplegia I'm also rather okay with it, but then... if we go much further up than that, so that it'll take a while before I go splat on the ground and have time for writing my memoirs, calling my family to say goodbye and **** myself, then it's a no go. :aiee:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sadly, I have a crippling fear of heights, and it has often gotten in the way of visiting many awesome places. I try to fight  it as much as I can, but it often feels like no amount of rationality is able to drain that feeling of going numb in all of your limbs and... well... just falling. No matter how unrealistic or ridiculous it might actually be.

Some years ago, when I visited Preikestolen in Norway, I was able to hike all the way up to the rock formation, but since the main draw of the place is that it looks like this, I was hell-bent to get to the edge and look down, phobias be damned.

It was a bit too much. Every small gust of wind was like a tornado, just waiting to suck me into the abyss. I was so numb I ended up crawling to the edge on my belly just to have that mental reassurance that I won't inexplicably be blown away by some random act of fate.

In the end, I didn't make it. I did look down, but it wasn't a fully vertical 90-degree look I was going for. I wasn't able to reach the edge either.

One day, however...

One day.

• Like 2

Many years back when I was...a junior? in high school, I was doing a sort of silly "team-building" and trade skills-familiarizing program during the summer, and early into the program, we had a day where we did a height-climbing activity sort of for fun and sort of as a challenge to ourselves. Basically, we had to climb a 7-8 story tower while wearing a safety harness - it'd be a joke for any real climbers, but for someone totally unexperienced like myself (who's also terrified of heights), it was a daunting, Herculean task. My entire body had just about turned to jello by the time I made it all the way up (just about lost all control of my legs), and I almost passed out. Got made fun of by one of the other students for it, too - but the kicker there was that he absolutely refused to try to do it himself because "he just didn't want to" (and obviously, we all knew it was because he was a total hypocrite chicken himself). He almost got kicked out of that program for bad behavior several times, and went on to become a super senior (he was a year older than me so I still saw him around when he should've already graduated) and then later started working at a local Gold'n Plump. Felt like a bit of cosmic justice there, the rat bastard.

(e): On reflection, it was probably more like 5-6 stories, not 7-8. It was really tall, but not like "this is literally impossible for someone who's not already a climber" tall.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Basically, we had to climb a 7-8 story tower while wearing a safety harness - it'd be a joke for any real climbers, but for someone totally unexperienced like myself (who's also terrified of heights), it was a daunting, Herculean task. My entire body had just about turned to jello by the time I made it all the way up (just about lost all control of my legs), and I almost passed out.

Congrats on reaching the top and not quitting! I know the feeling that you're describing here all too well, and the fact that you managed to overcome it was no small feat.

Also, the guy was indeed a douche. Screw him.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

At least when I'm up really high there's probably not any sharks trying to eat me.

Depends on what you've smoked.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

for those disappointed in the new star trek show, there is nevertheless something worth watching from captain picard.

current reading a sonnet daily.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1