Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The CIA are probably pissed off over the Chinese stealing their proprietary backdoor software IP 😂

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

True dat! I had a good belly laugh at the US/Germany monopoly (except Russia and China) to all the worlds encryption. And they sold it to them. :lol: I cant help but wonder about the true capabilities of our espionage agencies. 

But its still not something you want an adversary to have, literal unfettered access to every.single.phone in the US.

DNA analysis of early human remains in Africa indicate crossbreeding with an "unknown" humanoid species: https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2020/02/13/early_humans_in_africa_may_have_interbred_with_a_mysterious_extinct_species_111291.html

I think we might have an exclusive pic of that species... ah yes... here it is

Image result for battlestar galactica cast photo
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm sure you guys have heard of this but the story of the cyclical FRB the earth is receiving like clock work every 16 days is just fascinating to me. Both because of it's predictable regularity and the distance from it's origin. Amazing stuff and sadly and unsolvable mystery. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/12/fast-radio-burst-signal-outer-space-repeats-every-16-days/4726301002/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Maybe its the mysterious extinct species' relatives trying to find out if the mating worked sending the FRB? 😋

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Cain and Seth had to get it on with somebody?

Also, same for Lilith if we count apocrypha...

The intervention of a divine being for creationism to work means that nothing is theoretically impossible.  Seth had children, as did Cain, they didn't have children with Eve, so there had to be other women able to bear children with them created by God; time is irrelevant since its created by God, etc.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

27 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

All modern humans have Neanderthal DNA, new research finds.

Im curious how this jibes with you creationists?

What if evolution is the process by which creation happens?

• Gasp! 1

Thomas Sowell

21 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Cain and Seth had to get it on with somebody?

Also, same for Lilith if we count apocrypha...

The intervention of a divine being for creationism to work means that nothing is theoretically impossible.  Seth had children, as did Cain, they didn't have children with Eve, so there had to be other women able to bear children with them created by God; time is irrelevant since its created by God, etc.

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Genesis 1:27  So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

My understanding is rusty, did "god" create other species of hominids too? Many species actually?

• Hmmm 1

The Bible says that Seth and Cain had children - they had to have children from somewhere, even though I don't think the biblical geneologies list their wives (I should add that IIRC the bible indicates that Adam and Eve had other un-named sons and daughters, so its theoretically supposed to be assumed that Seth and Cain's wives were also their sisters - I'm not a biblical scholar; IIRC the apocryphal tales of Lilith indicate there were 'demons' outside of Eden, so its possible that Seth and Cain's wives were from that group as well).

Theoretically the millions of years of evolution could have happened in one day as God created (and would therefore control) time, so theoretically you can reconcile creationism and evolution if you really want to.

So if creationism is true we are the product of inbreeding. If it's purely undirected evolution we're just slightly improved upon animals. Or if TV right we're all descended from a half Cylon. There are no good options. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I assume you are talking about theistic evolution, which is what the Catholic church and most mainstream churches subscribe to. 

The bible isn't a scientific document.

41 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I assume you are talking about theistic evolution, which is what the Catholic church and most mainstream churches subscribe to. 

The bible isn't a scientific document.

No it isn't. It's not even a terribly reliable historical document. I was just playing devil's advocate with Gfted

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

So if creationism is true we are the product of inbreeding.

We are scientifically speaking the products of inbreeding as well. Most healthy populations, genetically speaking, are the product of balanced inbreeding and outbreeding.

Scientists tend to use terms like genetic bottlenecks when talking about humans, but scientifically there's both a mitochrondial Eve (the ultimate female progenitor of the current human species) and at least one other later woman from whom the entire current human species descends. While I haven't checked recently the theory was that humans got down to perhaps as low as a few hundred individuals at some point in the order of 100,000 years ago.

https://www.pamelaandersonfoundation.org/news/2020/2/13/ub24mku9yrijsxucbb7s4chuft8u3m

Letter to His Excellency President Vladimir Putin President of the Russian Federation

February 13, 2020

His Excellency President Vladimir Putin

President of the Russian Federation

Presidential Executive Office

23 Ulitsa Ilyinka, 103132, Moscow

Dear President,

I am writing to extend our congratulations to Russia on marking the 200th anniversary of the sighting of Antarctica by Fabian von Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev on the 28th January, 1820. 

Von Bellingshausen’s and Lazarev’s sighting marked the start of a distinguished history of Russian exploration and scientific discovery in Antarctica, enriching our knowledge of this wilderness.

Two hundred years on, Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are a very different place from the one that Von Bellingshausen and Lazarev first saw. The region is now on the frontline of the climate crisis and biodiversity loss. Together as a global community, we can put in place measures which will safeguard this precious wilderness in the future.  

Russia can lead this effort by supporting the designation of marine protected areas in the East Antarctic, the Weddell Sea and the Antarctic Peninsula, helping build resilience in marine life to change.

To mark the 200-year celebration of Russia’s commitment to Antarctica, I urge you to strengthen further Russia’s historic legacy in the region by supporting protection of the Southern Ocean.  

Yours sincerely,

Pamela Anderson

This is a fascinating story about wolf pack management in eastern Oregon.  https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-very-old-man-for-a-wolf?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

It was but as they said the price of having wolves is sometimes going to be killing wolves. At least it is done in a way that is careful and thought out. Wildlife management is a thing. I usually don't bother the local coyotes but there have been times they have compelled me to thin their numbers a bit. But it would break my heart if they were gone because I love hearing them.

• Sad 1

Thomas Sowell

On 2/14/2020 at 2:17 AM, Guard Dog said:

So if creationism is true we are the product of inbreeding.

How do you think we ended  up with 5 (five!) fingers, the design was for 4 :unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein