Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

My total out of pocket cost for my education was somewhere around $5k. All I had to do is serve a tour in the military. Most of which I enjoyed and all of which came with many opportunities for education that I took advantage of. But you are absolutely correct about trade schools. HVAC mechanics will never want for work. Nor will electricians, auto technicians, etc. And it's a nice advantage starting out your career not being a quarter million in debt. That definitely flattens earning curve between the two choices doesn't it? 

You know the sad thing is Community Colleges were the best thing to happen to advanced education since the athletic scholarship was invented. And they are turning into the very thing they were created to be an alternative to. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Iirc, student loans are simple interest loans.

Google tells me the formula for a simple interest loan is: I (interest) = P (principal) x r (rate) x t (time periods). It also tells me the "average" student loan interest rate is: "For the 2017-2018 school year, the fixed rate on undergraduate Direct loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) is 4.45%. The rate for graduate or professional Direct unsubsidized loans is 6.00%. Direct PLUS loans have an interest rate of 7.00%. However, that doesn't mean all your debt has the same interest rate."

As you all know, Im not so good at math. Can one of you pump those numbers through the formula and let me know if its accurate?

I'm rusty on this, but...

$365k over 6 years with a 4.5% interest rate each year, minus $2500 each year, leaves you with a balance of 417K...if I carried the one correctly. 😛

4.5% interest in the first year would be $16,425 on $365k (and about 6.6 times the amount paid towards the loan).

*cue someone to correct me on my maths failings...*

• Thanks 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll stick the tweet here since it's off page at 25 posts. She's meant to be paying off 2500 per month rather than per annum.

1205149336499359744-png__700.jpg

My attempt at the maths involved is...

Actual repayments were about 2100$ per month rather than 2500 (165000 total / 78 months ~= 2100 per month). To get a $2500 net repayment at 365000$ you'd need an interest rate of about 6.3% (365000*.063 ~= 22500 of interest accrued /annum, total repayments at ~2100/ month ~= 25000 /annum; that gives the ~2500$ average paid against net debt). Of course that's simplistic for multiple reasons, but, I'd be pretty confident the interest rate does at least work out lower than the 7% quoted by Gfted.

So I guess the maths more or less checks out though she has definitely padded the tweet a bit with respect to how much she's repaying a month.

Overall it's a similar story to anyone with a mortgage, you start off not paying much at all off the principal in the first years but end up paying off almost nothing but principal in the last years.

• Thanks 2

And the IG Nobel prize goes to..:

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if the coronavirus in China is in any way related to the strain that puppies are regularly immunized for in the US? Humans are immune to that version though IIRC.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There are a lot of coronaviruses in humans and animals, if the scion of the current coronavirus isn't commercially important it may take a fair bit of time to work out exactly what it was if they ever do to certainty. They also have a pretty high rate of mutation (partly why people tend to get Common Colds multiple times a year).

They have always been worried most about some sort of superinfection where you get something highly infectious but of very low lethality like the Common Cold virus and something barely infectious but deadly in the same cell, as theoretically you could end up with a combination of highly infectious and deadly from that. Fortunately the current virus doesn't seem to be hugely lethal, less so than SARS/ MERS etc at least.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150310-the-truth-about-giant-pandas

Read this article about how wild pandas are apparently much more dangerous and have a strong sex drive, and the whole image of pandas is skewed by pandas getting somewhat "domesticated". 

Of course, it forgets to mention that wild pandas are almost constantly having diarrhea and have their backsides covered in poop. 

• Like 1

I love cold weather, snow and ice is everything nice in my world. Sweden has had a pretty piss poor January though;

ttmk2001.png

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This is why I won't have any voice activated AI trash in MY house: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2020/02/02/siri-spying-why-apple-ipad-changed-after-hearing-spanish-home/4627367002/

Of course even I I did all they would ever hear is me talking to my dogs since I live alone otherwise. Heck if it wasn't for them I'd probably go weeks without uttering a word.  

Thomas Sowell

I know people who have the Amazon Echo and they say that light that means it's listening turns on by itself sometimes. Of course not everything Alexa hears is worth listening to. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

I can't stop watching this. The elephant is 61 years old and at a sanctuary in Thailand. He had been used for hard labor and is in poor health. He had trouble adapting to life in the sanctuary and the staff found music helps calm him. So one of the keepers plays for him. 

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

16 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I can't stop watching this. The elephant is 61 years old and at a sanctuary in Thailand. He had been used for hard labor and is in poor health. He had trouble adapting to life in the sanctuary and the staff found music helps calm him. So one of the keepers plays for him. 

I love this.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think I needed that reminder that the world doesn't have to be all dark, all the time.

• Like 2

Napoleon saying "This is beginning to be very serious" at that stage of the retreat is understatement.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I expected a sex flight

I did not get a sex flight

When you say it fast... at least as a non-native English speaker... the name sounds like Spa-sex 😁

Time for a cold shower I think:

Run, A68. Run!

You were born to be free, not some "On The Rocks" for a cheap whiskey swilling bogan!

World's biggest iceberg makes a run for it

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51389690

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This is probably only interesting to me, but I found an old map of where descendants of Norwegians are situated in the US. There is a saying here about there being more Norwegians in the US than in Norway, and apparently it's true.

It's a bit amusing that so many decided they liked the cold, that they again went for the North. However that's apparently where you could find cheap land at the time. Norway was very poor in those times, had a huge percentage of its population move there. This also lead to Norwegian workers in their homecountry getting reasonable wages again due to now having a smaller work force.

8x4hwhsudqf41.jpg

My own great-grandfather went to New York, and one of his sons stayed there, whereas my own grandfather returned to Norway. So there's a seperate branch of my family living in New York. I was invited to visit them when I was in New York ten years ago, but I chickened out, being of course Norwegian and thus socially awkward.

• Like 3