Weird - Random - Interesting

Amentep

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

When Wil Betelgeuse Explode?

Spoiler

It's over 400 light years away. It already has. We just don't know about it yet

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Geez, these are some crazy loan situations. I actually just paid off my $13k loan from my year of grad school. It took close to 15 years at about $115 a month. The interest rate was 3.375. I mean, I could have and should have paid it off faster, but at the end of the day it was always my lower interest rate debt compared to auto loans and credit cards. 

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

When Wil Betelgeuse Explode?

Reveal hidden contents

It's over 400 light years away. It already has. We just don't know about it yet

I don't know if anyone actually posted this here, but I read it in some article a while ago;

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 1/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, Hurlshot said:

I'm going to assume you were not laughing at brain injuries. But your initial post comes across that way. So rather than clarifying your point, you are doubling down on the miscommunication, which is standard protocol for you. 

edit: To clarify my question, I am not sure what you are referring to as pathetic. CNN? The Military? The Trump response? Brain injuries? Iran? Footlockers? 

When your first reply is a load of tard, Im going to point and laugh and treat it as such. :shrugz: 60% of the time, every time, :lol: and qq will bring out the clowns. The other 40% of the time :lol: means Im laughing at something, or someone, who is funny.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Malcador said:

Why's that pathetic ?

Imo, "the press" is trying to drive the narrative to be exactly opposite of whatever Trump says. He says these troops were uninjured, and also sheltering in bunkers, but were somehow subjected to a scary scary sounding "TBI". It made me lol a bit that half were already back in the field but the other half had to leave the country to get better. Did you know that all of them also got sand in their eyes from being in a blowy desert?

On 1/26/2020 at 12:30 AM, Raithe said:

Read the other stories there, that's some insane stuff. Surely it's also a case of really bad decisionmaking, taking loans with companies that are known to be hawks? Or?

Over here people take student loans even if they don't need them since it's provided by the government, and guaranteed to always have the lowest possible interest rate (based on the market). You get to delete up to 40% of your debt if you pass all exams. I studied for 6 years, taking a full loan each year, and the downpayment is barely noticeable at around $150 a month.

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

When your first reply is a load of tard, Im going to point and laugh and treat it as such. :shrugz: 60% of the time, every time, :lol: and qq will bring out the clowns. The other 40% of the time :lol: means Im laughing at something, or someone, who is funny.

I have no idea what any of that means. But I'm sure it is me, and not your communication skills. Carry on.

18 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Read the other stories there, that's some insane stuff. Surely it's also a case of really bad decisionmaking, taking loans with companies that are known to be hawks? Or?

Over here people take student loans even if they don't need them since it's provided by the government, and guaranteed to always have the lowest possible interest rate (based on the market). You get to delete up to 40% of your debt if you pass all exams. I studied for 6 years, taking a full loan each year, and the downpayment is barely noticeable at around $150 a month.

Student loans have a ridiculously low interest rate in the US too. That tweet smells like poopoo caca.

I might be crazy... but I'm not alone: http://news.trust.org/item/20200127092603-ks7hg

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

10 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

"A Florida pastor " is all you need to know.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

"A Florida pastor " is all you need to know.

Florida is proof that weird s--t drifts south

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Student loans have a ridiculously low interest rate in the US too. That tweet smells like poopoo caca.

A lot of students actually take on more debt that they're likely to need for the cost of college*.  And while the reasons vary, its the stuff outside of the actual college cost (mortgage, childcare, transportation, etc) that can really saddle you with more debt than your career will pay for.  A lot of colleges are trying to teach financial literacy to students taking out loans or similar programs to try to let the new student know what it is they're setting themselves up for when they take multiple loans to finance their education and/or their lifestyle.

*although that said, sometimes people just pick expensive schools that the expense of going to that school isn't going to be covered by the cost of the career the education leads to as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 18-year old kids taking out these loans deserve a little slack. You have universities raking them over the coals and financial institutions jumping at the chance to lock them in to long term debt. College costs have skyrocketed over the last couple decades, and banks are making a tremendous profit off that. But yeah, let's just pin it on the people who are barely old enough to legally drink. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

@Amentep: Im not debating the high cost, its her math that doesnt work out. Over 6.5 years she supposedly paid $165000 but only $15000 was applied to the principal? I dont buy it and it sounds like another tweet designed to evoke a gasp.

Paying all the interest first would be my guess but it does seem a bit much

Free games updated 3/4/21

Most contract loans follow an amortization schedule that determine how much of each payment is interest and how much is principle. All contract loans are going to be front loaded. You are going to buy interest before principle. That is a hedge for the lender in case you pay the loan off early. Once the interest for the loan is bought the loan is amortized and now all or most of the payments go to principle. The thing is, the amortization schedule is negotiable. Heck just about everything in the loan is. BEFORE you sign it. Some lenders put really nasty things in loans like pre-payment penalties and such. You MUST read that contract before signing it. If you don't like something insist on changing it. If they refuse tell them where to shove that contract. 

If you can't understand it take it to someone who does. I realize 18 year old college kids are getting screwed coming and going. Hurlshot is right. The colleges are screwing them by jacking up prices. Lenders screw them with bad loans. The government is screwing them by requiring to take classes that have nothing to do with their field of study. The students get it coming and going but mostly they walk right into it. And that is the problem. They are adults and they AGREED to the terms they are saddled with. I didn't agree to it? Why the hell should I have to pay for their ignorance? Most of the Democrat candidates think I should however. Nuts to that.  

There is another problem with this loan forgiveness BS. When has subsidizing the ability of the consumers to buy widgets ever resulted in a decrease in the prices of widgets? Never. Do you think the University is getting a nickel less? They are not. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

One side note. Want to defeat your loans interest rate? Pay weekly. If your loan has a contract payment of $200 a month pay $50 a week. You will be paying at a rate faster than interest accrues and it will speed up the amortization schedule. But be careful. Some loans have a provision against that. They hold partial payments in escrow until a full payment is received. Once again, if that is in your contract ask them to take it out BEFORE you sign. Everything is negotiable, 

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

They are adults and they AGREED to the terms they are saddled with. I didn't agree to it? Why the hell should I have to pay for their ignorance?

you shouldn't. 'course you are paying for all the unfortunate and broader economic side effects which come with students en masse unable to pay off their student loans. becomes a pragmatic question o' which costs to you is less in the long run. gd shouldn't need pay either way, but he will. need make choices.

these are adults making the mistakes with student loans, but we do sympathize a bit. dangers o' student loans is a bit better communicated today than when we were going to school, but only slight. more than once we were told by school and family members how invest on education were never a waste. Ha! you got schools and parents and freaking society pushing the notion University is a need and if you don't go to college you will be a failure. 

heck, might only be slight hyperbole to observe how if the med school student in the example 'bove had gone to a trade school for hvac, they could be thinking o' early retirement 'stead o' looking forward to another $350k o' payments. observe how there is nothing wrong with trade schools is so weird, 'cause it rightful presupposes many people believe there is something wrong with trade schools. so stoopid

'course we cannot complain. low interest (relative) student loans is how we were able to get started in real estate investment while in school. work near full-time while going to school full time were difficult, but a few years o' pain were worth it in the long run... worth it for us. other than loan sharks, how else would Gromnir, with no assets, get tens o' thousands o' dollars in loans for three consecutive years? we owned multiple properties before graduation.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Iirc, student loans are simple interest loans.

Google tells me the formula for a simple interest loan is: I (interest) = P (principal) x r (rate) x t (time periods). It also tells me the "average" student loan interest rate is: "For the 2017-2018 school year, the fixed rate on undergraduate Direct loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) is 4.45%. The rate for graduate or professional Direct unsubsidized loans is 6.00%. Direct PLUS loans have an interest rate of 7.00%. However, that doesn't mean all your debt has the same interest rate."

As you all know, Im not so good at math. Can one of you pump those numbers through the formula and let me know if its accurate?