Today - what you've done

Amentep

Went to the grocery to get some meds for my mom, had to deal with some bums coughing on people and acting like asses.  Joys of a big city, heh.

BUT I scored some flour, so that's a good thing.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I went fishing. Didn't get a nibble. But it was still great. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Went to the grocery to get some meds for my mom, had to deal with some bums coughing on people and acting like asses.  Joys of a big city, heh.

BUT I scored some flour, so that's a good thing.

Intentionally?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Apparently our CostCo may have toilet paper but they're only letting in 50 customers at a time, which is why there's a waiting line around the store all the time. You could be standing in line for a couple hours.  So we tried going to grocery store at crack of dawn.  One still had none but the 2nd store did. They seem to be stocking a certain amount once a day and when the shelf is empty/out, they don't restock it until next morning - so we finally scored a 4-pack of big roll TP.  1 per customer/day/trip ofc.

Could try again in a couple days to have two packs and be ok for a while again.  So lesson learned:  go super early to get your "ration."

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We went to the hardware store and asked for tp, and the lady went off to a secret room and got us a 6 pack. It was all very clandestine. I also got a shovel, so that probably looked a bit weird at the checkout.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

We went to the hardware store and asked for tp, and the lady went off to a secret room and got us a 6 pack. It was all very clandestine. I also got a shovel, so that probably looked a bit weird at the checkout.

:lol: If I saw that I'd think "There goes a man with plumbing problems!"

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's cloudy and cool today. Probably not good for fishing. But I FEEL like going fishing! I love where I live. I have a creek and two rivers in walking distance and 100% guarantee I will not see another human being on the way. THIS is how you spend the apocalypse!

Thomas Sowell

The park I used to jog in was closed, so I jogged around the park yesterday. Considering that it rather early (2-3 AM) I was surprised to see people near a 24/7 fast-food restaurant.

The work has been less active - most of my clients are closed. I switched from the netbook to a VM. Apparently, the default Microsoft drivers for Win10 do not support HDMI and it was rather inconvenient to try to find the right ones with the netbook. So, now I have the VM running on the second monitor, which I was able to connect to my main PC.

Somehow the current level of social interactions and, more importantly, the expectations of social interactions feels much more comfortable. The only thing I miss is the gym - I don't have enough equipment at home (a pair of dumbbells (4kg) and a fitness mat), so I've been trying to do body-weight exercises with relative success. I could not find any back exercises, except wide-grip pushups.

I live right in the city centre of Athens. But part of the centre is the dodgy part. 

So my apartment is on the back side of the national theatre, as I like to joke the alley where Batman's parents get murdered. One street over is the police station, and one street over from there are trans prostitutes and heroin dealers and addicts.

Since the quarantine the addicts have been roaming at night. 

Last night after midnight over a dozen ended up outside my building. The noise was as if trying to sleep in the middle of a market hall.

Around two AM the noise triggered the neighbour with, I suspect, Asperger's. So the noise was joined by a loud, neverending stream of obscenity. 

Then there was a disagreement between addicts, which became physical with one of them threatening to stab the others. (Around this time I called the police)

Then a neighbour emptied a bucket of water from the fourth floor. She hit one of the drug addicts, who started to complain very loudly how nobody cares about other people - emptying a bucket of water out the window without caring there are people on the street.

The police arrived, slowly drove down the street and away.

At some point after three a man started banging the door across the street. Turns out it is a metal door. He kept banging 'till shortly before before 5AM, since this George guy he was shouting to let him in was either a deep sleeper, not there, or didn't want to let him in.

Around 6AM things went normal city-quiet.

So today I have just been laying around on the sofa.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I spent entirely too much on a pocket knife but it's to support a local maker from where I used to live that might not make it through the pandemic - plus it's a really unique design.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

On 4/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, melkathi said:

Intentionally?

Yep, they were giggling about it.  When I was leaving some guys were threatening them so I may have missed some fun.  Some lady did burn them pretty nicely though, responded to their coughing by saying something along the lines of "People care if I die unlike you"

Sort of fitting though, that the homeless in that part of town would be wino trash, it's near the financial area and that's chock of full of well dressed trash.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I worked in the garden this morning and spend the afternoon at target practice. 

The Browning X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor is the finest rifle I have ever used. My longest target frame is 910 meters. At that range from a bench rest I shot a 2.5" group of 5. From offhand it was a 4" group. Most of the rest of the session was using .44 sp target rounds from 100m. They are a LOT cheaper. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. You have got to practice. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

15 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I worked in the garden this morning and spend the afternoon at target practice. 

The Browning X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor is the finest rifle I have ever used. My longest target frame is 910 meters. At that range from a bench rest I shot a 2.5" group of 5. From offhand it was a 4" group. Most of the rest of the session was using .44 sp target rounds from 100m. They are a LOT cheaper. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. You have got to practice. 

1000 yards?

Fancypants!

Creedmoor when you can get yourself some 6.5 Swede! 😛

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken