Amentep

13 minutes ago, Skazz said:

What's on the left hand side, I wonder?

Me too! I've never dared look... :(

12 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I was meaning to ask Comrade, but your long post got in before my one-liner. 😄

I figured as much, but I considered myself funny ^^

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

went to costco this AM. got to the store 20 minutes early. there were a line o' people stretching from one end of the store to the other, and back again. hundreds o' people waiting to gain entrance. 

turned around and came home. will call costco and ask when the best time to shop is.

check engine light glared amber at us on the ride home.

HA! Good Fun!

Most of the auto shops I know are hurting for work right now, so it's a good time to take it in. For some reason, it seems like half my workout buddies work on cars and the other half work in finance. 

29 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Hey, even the USA brought out some good things. Pete Seeger, Bob Ross, Tracy Chapman... yeah, that's my list right now.

Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Ronnie James Dio... Fallout... Wing Commander... Philip K **** I think? Mike Pondsmith.. Cord, DeSoto and Nash Motors.. yeah, I think I'm out.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Had pizza last night. It was sooooo good. Sure beats frozen vegies, cereal, sandwiches, soups and noodles.  Thank goodness take-out is still available.   coh-eat1.png

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Most of the auto shops I know are hurting for work right now, so it's a good time to take it in. For some reason, it seems like half my workout buddies work on cars and the other half work in finance. 

am suspecting we need clear some code and then may go back to driving as usual as there is no symptoms which would alarm us. first thing we did were to check to make sure the gas cap were tight, but am knowing even if such were the problem, address problem alone wouldn't make the engine warning light disappear.

being a cheap bastard, ordinarily we would go to a friend who has the appropriate computer hardware/software to identify the code before we even consider taking to a shop. nevertheless, you got a point. with how bad the repair guys is hurting, throw a little business their way couldn't hurt.

silver lining: gives us an excuse to drive one o' the buicks for a couple days. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

10 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

This is interesting. What other holidays are you required to pay a bonus the your staff? Is it a flat amount or a percentage of their wage?

Percentage of the wage for Easter and Christmas, as well as a very small bonus in August for children's summer camp.

My account is adamant I always pay these on time - which is a bit silly because I always pay everything on time - because while with normal wages, if I were to not pay and get sued, I would be able to claim that I am forced to delay payment and have every intention to pay. The holiday bonus can't be delayed as that is seen as flagrante delicto.  The result of that is that unscrupulous employers will pay bonuses, then have their staff pay it back in cash.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

15 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Ronnie James Dio... Fallout... Wing Commander... Philip K **** I think? Mike Pondsmith.. Cord, DeSoto and Nash Motors.. yeah, I think I'm out.

Dune.

I would have said Frank Herbert, but everything after the first Dune book...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Okay, here's a stupid question since I'm probably overlooking something... 

I have apparently filled up the "my attachements" on the forum. How do I get rid of old attachements? SInce the threads that they are on have pretty much been closed and disappeared into the bins of yesteryear...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Okay, here's a stupid question since I'm probably overlooking something... 

I have apparently filled up the "my attachements" on the forum. How do I get rid of old attachements? SInce the threads that they are on have pretty much been closed and disappeared into the bins of yesteryear...

Have you tried:

https://forums.obsidian.net/attachments/

Great times at work.

First we had our pay raise cancelled. Wait, sorry, delayed until June as if everything will be back to normal by then. Now we no longer get paid any overtime. We also should not be doing overtime. Which also means my lump sum overtime payment per month is gone, which just about kills 10% of my regular income.

But we have more work than ever before. Yes, yes, I realize everyone else has less and less work to do, but that doesn't help us as a small team, and as a special bonus I'm supposed to use up my vacation credits. Next month I'll have 57 days left. That's going to go really well with the current workload, not sure how I'm supposed to drop at least 27 days, ideally more. There's a reason why I have that many days left, and it's certainly not because I'm a workaholic who loves being at the office more than being home doing a whole bunch of nothing. I'll just take six weeks off during an off-season peak due to everyone ordering stuff online because regular shops are closed.

Seems a bit like first world problems, almost 8% of all employees here lost their jobs in the past two weeks and a whole truckload of small companies are facing doom, so all in all our situation's not terribad and our management is doing their best to keep everyone employed for the time being. That's great, really, and it affects a whole lot of people in a positive way. Feeling like collateral damage doesn't help though. Le sigh.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

31 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

being a cheap bastard, ordinarily we would go to a friend who has the appropriate computer hardware/software to identify the code before we even consider taking to a shop. nevertheless, you got a point. with how bad the repair guys is hurting, throw a little business their way couldn't hurt.

Just FYI, Autozone and their contemporaries will come out to you car with a handheld diagnostic unit and plug in under the driver side dash. The resultant list of codes can be looked up online.

EDIT: Free of charge

Speaking of auto work, I suppose on hindsight we gave that mechanic we took my car to a couple weeks or a month of grace maybe, hah.  We got my car back over a week ago. Runs/seems fine now.

We heard of the plan to send Fed checks or something and worried they'd send something to us when we don't need/want it.  Glad to hear there's a limit scale and cap.  The govnt aint/shouldn't be bankrolling your Telsa or excessive shopping habits, k? 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

18 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Just FYI, Autozone and their contemporaries will come out to you car with a handheld diagnostic unit and plug in under the driver side dash. The resultant list of codes can be looked up online.

EDIT: Free of charge

again, we got a friend who will do the diagnostic bit. with a tail wind and following a moderate warmup, we could hit our friend's house with a thrown baseball from where we live... on a very good day if we were ten-to-fifteen years younger with a bit less arthritis in our shoulder. 

am relative rural, so nearest merchant with such equipment is a 25-minute drive. 

ordinarily we would have friend take a looksee (even though he is a st. louis cardinals fan and those guys are all tool bags) and clear code if it were a non-factor, but as hurl observes, the auto repair guys is hurting.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There was a gender toy convo elsewhere that I was reading, and it reminded me of the reason I never got into playing with humanistic dolls. Of any gender/type.  Those late 60's or whatever walking dolls that were very tall. When my grandmother bought one and turned it on in front of my 3 year old self. I kept running away from it, hiding behind mom, it would "chase" me.  Humanistic dolls have creeped me out ever since. Stuffed animals for me!

I mean c'mon, the blank expression, the weird noise. Only 3-ish and I clearly recall it.  Childhood trauma, man!
(Grandma's was worse than this one, might've been a little bigger, walked better, and I think it moved its arms up and down a bit too)

When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink?

Life-Magazine-1949-05-30.jpg

people in 1886 were so much more enlightened 'bout gender roles than they are today, which is why there were so much less gender discrimination in the previous century.

*insert eyeroll*

like it or not, humans are sexual dimorphic. because humans is intelligent, and crazy, notions o' what attracts the opposite sex will change depending on cultural norms, but there will be differences resulting in broadly recognized gender ideals. period.

kids is 'bout as smart as an average labradoodle but less smart than an adult border collies. just as the labradoodle learns by watching behavior, so too do children. doesn't matter what daddy says or what kinda doll he gives his child. what matters is how daddy interacts with and treats women, and how all the other adults is interacting with the clear obvious opposite gender. we don't blame the dog if it doesn't learn how to behave 'round people. we blame the dog owner, yes? two dog owners may give exact same commands to their labradoodles and the dog responses will be different depending on what those dogs has observed during and outside o' training. why we expect children to be complete different than labradoodles is baffling.

dolls?

*snort*

this generation likes to get in a twist over the least important stuff while all too often ignoring the genuine vital.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

I had two My Little Ponies as a kid. Bought them from my pocket money because they were so awesomely cute. One of them was pink. Still turned out a straight white male.

😛

• Like 3

https://www.deviantart.com/melkathi/art/Teddymarines-547408369

086.png

Edited by Azdeus
fixed link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, a number of friendly local game stores weren't sure if they should remove the "friendly" from their description when they saw that :)

Though I also had one person for years try to convince me to convert an army based on that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Yeah, a number of friendly local game stores weren't sure if they should remove the "friendly" from their description when they saw that :)

Though I also had one person for years try to convince me to convert an army based on that.

Haha! I can imagine, nerds are very sensitive about  some thing, I would know considering how I think about modern Fallouts 😄

I wanted to do a similar thing and do an Adepta Sororitas Kitty chapter. 😛

• Like 1