Today - what you've done

Amentep

Watched The Tiger King on Netflix yesterday. I'd say it was surprising but having grown up and lived a fair bit of my life in Florida, nothing surprises me.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Working from home has been a bit of an adjustment for me. I get up later than I used to, and stay up later, but I continue my morning sh**/shower/shave routine for a little normalcy. :lol: 

I haven't shaved (myself, that is) in years. With all the barber shops closed I'm beginning to look like a Canadian lumberjack. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm really enjoying being at home all the time with nobody to bother me. If people weren't dying this would be a dream come true.

Had to go hunting and gathering yesterday evening and had to hit 3 different stores just to get maybe 75% of what was on my list.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

20 hours ago, Amentep said:

^good for you.  Can't get paper towels, paper napkins, or hand sanitizer locally myself

I didnt look for hand sanitizer but paper towels, napkins, tp and paper plates were all readily available. We blow through paper plates around here like crazy so I considered buying a 300 pack, but I decided to save it for the oldsters and more needy.

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Ship me some ramen?

Only thing left around here are brands I've never heard of and the occasional shrimp flavor in brands that I have heard of

The ramen isle seemed well stocked but Im not a ramen aficionado. I picked up some "fiery beef" flavor prepackaged meals.

Paper plates and cups haven't been bad here, but towels and napkins are unless you want store brand paper towels ("now with 2/3 less paper towels than competing brands!") or ****tail napkins (which, i guess would still work).  Skipped them though cause we weren't out in hopes preferred stuff would show up.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

went to costco this AM. got to the store 20 minutes early. there were a line o' people stretching from one end of the store to the other, and back again. hundreds o' people waiting to gain entrance. 

turned around and came home. will call costco and ask when the best time to shop is.

check engine light glared amber at us on the ride home.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^Its probably the O2 sensor.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Paper plates and cups haven't been bad here, but towels and napkins are unless you want store brand paper towels ("now with 2/3 less paper towels than competing brands!") or ****tail napkins (which, i guess would still work).  Skipped them though cause we weren't out in hopes preferred stuff would show up.

I think Ive settled in on; I need to have enough stores on hand to feed 3 mouths, 2500 calories per day, and wipe the behinds of, for 21 days. So every couple of days I venture out to replace whatever we used from the previous days. :yes:

• Thanks 1

I stocked up with toilet paper and such stuff for the mini-hotel before things got bad. So on one hand I may go out of business. On the other hand I have enough toilet paper to last me over a year.

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

59 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I stocked up with toilet paper and such stuff for the mini-hotel before things got bad. So on one hand I may go out of business. On the other hand I have enough toilet paper to last me over a year.

Mini-hotel?

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Click the link in his signature and read his bio.

Oh. Gotcha, thanks.

EDIT: I now know what Melkathi looks like. Huh.

EDIT 2: ...surprisingly not a bear.

Edited by Skazz
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

So will you recieve any aid from your government?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 minutes ago, melkathi said:

800 euros.

A month or onetime payment? How long'll that last you?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Currently they are offering that for the one month everything is shut. I don't know if they are going to extend it or come up with a new formula if we need to stay closed longer.

The good thing is they are also giving that as a salary to my cleaning lady. So I don't have her salary to worry about - just her Easter bonus, which I am still required to pay.

But seeing how it will take a while for people to go traveling again, if I miss out on most of the summer revenue even if we are allowed to open again - eh.

On the other hand it may mean that all the new places that opened up without a business plan, and all the people renting out under the table over AirBnB may shut their places first, clearing the market share again for those of us who try to do things the right way.

Edited by melkathi
  • Sad 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Well my job is now down for at least another month.  But it could very well be longer than that depending on the situation.  I'm getting paid by the company for these last two weeks off, and shall receive unemployment benefits after that, up to a year.  A significant sum, enough to live off, but significantly less than what I was making.  Also everyone is getting a decent check from the government within three weeks or so.

I hope less wealthy countries are able to cover themselves at least enough to get by, because we're getting a pretty good setup here, provided the economy doesn't collapse in the process.

24 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Currently they are offering that for the one month everything is shut. I don't know if they are going to extend it or come up with a new formula if we need to stay closed longer.

The good thing is they are also giving that as a salary to my cleaning lady. So I don't have her salary to worry about - just her Easter bonus, which I am still required to pay.

But seeing how it will take a while for people to go traveling again, if I miss out on most of the summer revenue even if we are allowed to open again - eh.

On the other hand it may mean that all the new places hat opened up without a business plan, and all the people renting out under the table over AirBnB may shut their places first, clearing the market share again for those of us who try to do things the right way.

That's a pretty ****ty deal really, I mean the uncertainty in that is a low blow. Admittedly I'm not sure how well Swedens help package will work out but from what they've said it does sound like it'll help. Many hotels has been renting out rooms at a reduced rate to people that want to isolate themselves, and some has offered bed to the healthcare system.

Edited by Azdeus

Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side. 😄

• Haha 2