Today - what you've done

Amentep

Listening to coworkers whine about being cooped up in the house, I am not sure what the issue is.  They want to set up a game night, but all they have is Xboxes, pft. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Almost finished my interstate move. Got the keys yesterday, getting my furniture tomorrow. Good thing too, as I'm a bit tired of hotels. I've been living in hotels since I moved out of my old place end of February :wacko:

Got electricity sorted out, water is there too.... oh yeah, need internet too. I'll get there eventually.

Edit: Unexpected benefit of the global panic... hotel rooms are dirt cheap these days... cheap as in competitive with renting an apartment, just with room service and free toilet paper rolls included

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Conference calls all day and then my wife got laid off

The small business she works for just couldn't survive any longer without customers

That sucks 😕

I'm lucky that I've got an employment that is quite essential, and won't get shut down, plus it's government owned so going bankrupt isn't really a thing. The only thing that could shut us down would be if enough people get sick, then again, Volvo has laid off 25000 people, but while talk of solidarity is going strong, they aren't allowed to come work for us because they aren't allowed to work during the layoff...

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Conference calls all day and then my wife got laid off

The small business she works for just couldn't survive any longer without customers

well, am gonna hope folks take this serious and we starve the virus 'nuff so we can get to whatever is the new normal sooner rather than later. largely automated workforce and ubi? not anytime soon, but maybe this kinda thing gets us headed in the right direction. in any event, good luck.

we went and did shopping for folks this AM. none o' the area stores have 24 hour availability anymore as they need shut down for deep cleans every eve, so we were at a "local" store at 6AM. local for us is a 25-minute drive. mostly older folks were clustered at the entrance o' the supermarket when we arrived. we got more than a few grocery stores which offer senior hours, but most is doing such on specific days as 'posed to entire week. anyways, we get to store at 6AM and manager announces to those assembled: almost no tp; few paper products in general; produce and egg deliveries would be taking place at 9AM; fresh meats were well-stocked. 

we did manage to get kleenex for a few folks on our list.

there were a couple bags o' jasmine rice on shelves. nothing else for rice folks.

couple bags o' black beans were all that were available for legume lovers.

no potatoes.

frozen vegetables were in short supply.

prepared frozen foods were plentiful. could fill your freezer with frozen pizza if you so desired. milk were well stocked. plenty o' apples and lettuce and bananas. tomatoes were abundant and looked surprisingly good for the season. a few varieties o' soups were absent, but most were available and in numbers.

hit and miss.

weird part were how in spite o' fact the shoppers were mostly older, they had almost zero respect for social distancing, even those people wearing masks and gloves were crowding together. literal had one woman brush past us to get at the yogurts she wanted. weren't just customers neither. we asked bakery guy which packaged bagels were cinnamon-raisin (decided not for Gromnir btw) and the guy came out from behind his counter and got in our personal space in a way we wouldn't like even if there weren't covid-19 to worry 'bout. we had specific asked if he could point out the desired bagels "from a distance."

dunno, feels like older folks in particular ain't taking social distancing serious and others is almost going out o' their way to show they ain't scared. 

regardless, shopping were quasi successful. next week am gonna try for a costco run. we could personal avoid shopping for a month (or more) w/o trouble as am well and good stocked with everything but stock-- chicken, beef and vegetable. our senior friends feel bad 'bout us doing shopping for 'em so am suspecting they keep their lists brief so as not to overwhelm us. have pointed out how is better for everybody, Gromnir included, if our friends have us do shopping which will carry 'em through at least a couple weeks, but is so tough for people to accept help. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This whole mess wouldn't be so bad if the new Star Trek was any good. But it's not so things really suck right now.

Thanks to Gromnir for the opera link, it really kept my MiL occupied and it's nice to have one less thing to worry about.

Denver went on lockdown but the idiot mayor caused a huge panic when he announced that liqour stores and dispensaries weren't essential. Didn't take long for that to get reversed. Glad I live in Lakewood for once because something about a thousand dollar fine for breaking the order doesn't sit right with me even though I agree with the order.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Thanks to Gromnir for the opera link, it really kept my MiL occupied and it's nice to have one less thing to worry about.

in retrospect am seeing how tchaikovsky would be an effective distraction for a bored babushka, but were not our goal in posting. regardless, am glad it helped. 

april 1 will be nixon in china, which am admitting we only know one aria from the entire opera. will likely check out tannhäuser as well. not a sooper popular wagner opera, but were a kinda/sorta/slight inspiration for gaiman's neverwhere. only have seen one performance o' tannhäuser and were not met quality. 

aside: fact comrademaster didn't dr00l all over himself when presented with a freebie link to the 2007 met performance o' eugene onegin makes us serious question his cred.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fridge died yetserday, so that's great timing.  Got a mini fridge to help tide us over but that's one hassle I can do without. 

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fridge returned to life. I am guessing there's ice blocking some vent, so that's a tedious debug.  Fridge is 10 years old, wondering if might be better to just replace the thing - we spent $1000 trying to keep our Bosch washer alive, so maybe that's colouring my opinion.

Boring day at work, spent more time listening to Ice Cube than actually working. 

• Haha 1

Went to the store to check the state of things here.

Still no toilet paper or basically any paper products. No butter, eggs, or bread/rolls (outside of some Wonder....) Still a lot of empty shelves here and here for common dry or canned goods. New plastic sheet "barriers" erected on counters between cashier and customer  to prevent spit spread.  Signs for separate "ppl at higher risk" shopping hours and quantity restrictions on certain things.  But hardly anyone inside/no crowds, so that was good. Seemed like there was a fair amount of produce (fruit/veggies) but I didn't look closely. Candy is not deemed essential, I can live on Snickers right? Packed with peanuts!

Jokes aside, we're fine on food (even if most of it is simple/convenience food).  We have maybe 7-10 days of TP left. Not sure where to go to find more, I think it's going to be out everywhere for a while.  We have a lot of leaves raked up in the backyard, can always use those.   

I was surprised "feminine products" were not sold out. If I still had to deal with that all the time (I'm not in total menopause but it's a super rare occurrence) I'd want those stocked up even over toilet paper.  :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, Skazz said:

So... does that make you Morte?

Appliance necromancer WOULD be useful.  I am guessing it is issue with the defrost timer or the element.  I guess we can see about getting it fixed.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:50 AM, Azdeus said:

Got something wrong with me, I get dizzyspells coming from nowhere all of a sudden, going from all fine to feeling like I've drank a full bottle of booze. I did give my boss half a heartattack calling in sick though. I'm not getting in a car when I feel like this.

This might've been a blessing in disguise, two coworkers in traffic went home on Monday and Tuesday, the two days I was home, with severe dry cough... That said, might've been infected well before that, who knows. And none of my coworkers that worked with them are staying home, so, yeah.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

This might've been a blessing in disguise, two coworkers in traffic went home on Monday and Tuesday, the two days I was home, with severe dry cough... That said, might've been infected well before that, who knows. And none of my coworkers that worked with them are staying home, so, yeah.

So they never tested you?

3 hours ago, Skazz said:

So they never tested you?

No, unless you need hospital care or work with vulnerable people, they don't test you, that's why Sweden only has something like *Checks* 2806 cases of Covid. They stopped testing suspected cases after a week or so.

Edit; https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/har-sprider-sig-coronaviruset/

Not updated today as of yet, still an hour or so to go, but it's kinda pointless data to be honest since we don't test that many people. 

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Double post, but worth it;

Laboratoriebekräftade fall är en indikator för att följa utvecklingen. Den 13 mars förändrades provtagningsstrategierna för covid-19. Initialt provtogs personer som vistats i områden med känd smittspridning av covid-19 men sedan den 13 mars provtas framförallt personer med symptom förenligt med covid-19 infektion som är i behov av inneliggande sjukhusvård samt personal inom sjukvård och äldreomsorg.

Sauce; https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/smittskydd-beredskap/utbrott/aktuella-utbrott/covid-19/aktuellt-epidemiologiskt-lage/

"Confirmed cases from laboratory tests are an indicator to follow the development. The 13'th of March the testing strategies were changed for Covid-19. Initially samples were from people that had spent time in areas with confirmed contagion of COVID-19, but since the 13'th of March testing has been done on people with symptoms for COVID-19 infection that is in need of hospital care, hospital workers and people in elder care."

That said, we've been told to stay at home if we get any symptoms resembling covid, and we don't need a doctors certificate to get sickpay up to 3 weeks after first reporting sick - so we've got no reason whatsoever to work if we feel ill, we get 80-90% of our wage if we stay home.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

That's kinda how it is here too

Wife and I are/were both sick but they didn't test us because we weren't in a riskier category being somewhat youngish (comparatively) and moderately healthyish. Was told to just assume I had it and act accordingly and come back if I felt I needed to.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Take care of yourself Azdeus!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thanks, I will do my best :)

So far I feel fine, no fever, no symptoms, but that says nothing really. Same for my coworkers that are still working. From tomorrow I'm borrowing my uncles camper van so I can atleast isolate myself from my mother. I've never really had a proper flu even, so it'd be typical of me to go from 0 to 100. 😄

Hubby's still sick, coughing a lot etc. but I believe it's just a regular cold.  Never know tho.  I don't feel sick but I am sniffling more - but it's almost Spring and I have bad allergies. Can't tell.  *shrug*  At any rate hubby's not in a state of needing any doctor care - I just haven't been able to hug him for days. We've been largely staying in separate rooms all week. We're both over 50, with no known conditions but we're not paragons of great health and habits either. 

We're lucky we have no general financial worries at least  - one just hunkers down and whatever will be will be.
I wonder if Comcast can keep up with increasing bandwidth use tho, as people work and stream more and more from home etc  They've been rather flaky for some days - hubby's client workers are all complaining re: connectivity ups and downs and he's all "it's not our stuff, complain to your ISP's...."

If you don't hear from me for a while, the 'net probably went down. Ha. Ha.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Apropos of nothing, my coworkers made me a wee bit depressed today when noone knew about Pandora. Or Homer, never heard of the Odyssey, except the Assassins Creed game, nor Hippocrates. I'm not surprised they knew about Pythagoras, nor that they didn't know of Eratosthenes.

But c'mon, Pandora?! Hippocrates?! ;_;

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Azdeus said:

But c'mon, Pandora?! Hippocrates?! ;_;

One is an internet streaming service, the other is an ungulate!

jk don't hit me

In all seriousness: I do not endorse ignorance, but as I grow older, I begin to realize just how little I know. And the world is, well, almost impossibly vast and complex to boot.

Are some gaps in knowledge more infuriating than others? Sure. I do not excuse those. But I'd be a hippocrates hypocrite to condemn people who may very well be (and usually are) way more knowledgeable in other areas that I know squat about.

Tl;dr: when it comes to these things, this is my philosophy:

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

It really upsets me that they haven't even heard of them, I mean the oldest one of them is 26, but the others are 22 years old.. it's been 3-4 years since they finished their gymnasial education. I didn't expect any indepth knowledge to be honest, but at the very least recognition..

• Like 1