Today - what you've done

Amentep

Sixth(?) day of self-quarantine: I build a soap dish from some old takeaway-chopsticks, toothpicks and some o-rings. Turned out rather nice (imho).

soap_dish.gif?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I haven't left the house or seen a human being (except the guy in the bathroom mirror) in a week. But this is nothing. I think my longest stretch without human contact was a month and a half. Robinson Crusoe was happy when Friday showed up. I think I would have freaked the f--k out. Suddenly that island would be too crowded. 

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Using quarantine to plug holes in my edumacation -- watched "Frozen" so that I have something to talk about with small humans of my family tree. Really boring film and way too much singing in it. Don't get why small humans are so infatuated with it. :getlost:

Today I climbed the big mountain in our area, Mount Hamilton. I decided to go solo and embrace the socially distance moniker. It took just under 7 hours, and came out to 82 miles with 7900 feet of climbing. Hitting the snow line was amazing. It was also cold up there, so it was good I brought layers. Nutrition is still a work in progress, but I am getting better at it. I stopped for a sandwich at mile 60 and that made a world of difference. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_Observatory

90333507_10217179267498479_6496256649311

90204229_10217179266378451_2895705219121

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 4

I think part of my struggling with the current cabin-fever conditions is in knowing how ideal I would've considered it had it happened before I had kids.  Staying at home and seeing nobody but my spouse, apart from occasional grocery shopping?  Amazing!

I know that  I really have no serious grounds to complain-- a global pandemic and my part of the suffering is that I have to spend time with my kids.  We're not especially economically impacted.  Both the wife and I can work remotely.  She's under some pressure to keep her hours-billed up, but it's not anything she'd get canned over if she falls short.  I'm allowed to work at 3/4ths normal time at standard pay, and I have ample leave saved (and an understanding supervisor).  But there is some expectation that both of us will spend some time working each day, and the kids (3 and 6, although the little guy levels-up in about 5 weeks) need active minding by at least one of us for the 14 hours/day they're awake.  Makes all the stuff I see around teh inertnets about what folks are doing with the extra time they have on their hands burn a little. 

Also, I'm discovering that I'm a pretty lousy kindergarten teacher, and lil' bro is still young enough that I feel limited by all the guidance on excessive screen time for kids.  (Also, he only seems to want to watch Octonauts, which, despite being among the less-bad kids-show options, I'm kinda sick of.)  Schools and preschools being closed means I can't keep parental-inadequacy anxiety at bay by having professionals instruct them anymore.  And the lack of a clear end-date to all this is somewhat daunting.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 3

I can relate. I was excited to work from home at first because I thought it'd be video games and catching up on shows. No babysitter means I'm trying to watch my son while working but he makes it impossible to watch him and get anything else done at the same time. Wife and mother in law are here as well but MiL can't do as much because of her health problems and my wife is juggling school and work am the while wondering if she'll still have a job if this continues for much longer.

Still wouldn't be so bad if only we weren't also both sick and also having completely incompatible work environment preferences. I like it darker and generally quiet and my wife has the TV blasting and every single light around her on. MiL then gets on her laptop or phone and tries to compete with the TV all the while yelling at whoever she's talking to on Skype.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

selfiesarestupid-01.jpg

I was going to make an "locked down, unshowered and stir crazy"  joke but nah - I'm simply always like this.  :p

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

19 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Still wouldn't be so bad if only we weren't also both sick and also having completely incompatible work environment preferences. 

know that you have my sincere hope that you and yours get well soon. 

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I was going to make an "locked down, unshowered and stir crazy"  joke but nah - I'm simply always like this.  :p

apologies for double, but didn't wanna edit previous message.

we will observe that while showering is not on the list o' things we feels unmotivated to accomplish, gaming hours have dropped substantial... which is kinda counter-intuitive.

we live in a relative underpopulated area. we can take dogs for a walk and when we do we maybe see one or two other folks; is not difficult to keep a large 'mount o' physical distance 'tween us others during such sojourns. so we take dogs for walks and do research with/for a colleague and we make soup. why soup? we like to make soup. makes house smell like soup. soup is good food. we like soup. anyways, am 'bout to run out of chicken and beef stock. 

thought we would be catching up on all those games we got stockpiled and have barely played. nope. 

dogs are getting a lotta exercise. for various reasons we won't be able to keep up the extreme dog walking much longer. what to do when we cut back on the walks?

can't put a finger on why it is we just don't feel like gaming.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, isolation at home is no problem for me. Hell if I didn't need money occasionally I'd never leave! But OOTP 21 just came out and I'm happily pouring many hours into it. I'm re-playing the 1961 season and the Mantle/Maris HR race is not turning out the way it did IRL. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@ Gromnir  - I seem to find a game once every 2-3 years that I'll sink a lot of time into over some months but overall I turn games on then turn them off. I spent most of last year buying and trying several games and almost all of them I spent no more than 4-5 hours in. These days even if I like/respect a game, most of the time I'm usually not in the mood to be persistent, or to learn the mechanics well enough to become "good."

And I do still shower if I'm active, have to go somewhere, or whatever ... just not every day at the same time like clockwork. It's like making the bed ... just going to get messy again, sometimes can't be bothered.  =]

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

Also, I'm discovering that I'm a pretty lousy kindergarten teacher, and lil' bro is still young enough that I feel limited by all the guidance on excessive screen time for kids.  (Also, he only seems to want to watch Octonauts, which, despite being among the less-bad kids-show options, I'm kinda sick of.)  Schools and preschools being closed means I can't keep parental-inadequacy anxiety at bay by having professionals instruct them anymore.  And the lack of a clear end-date to all this is somewhat daunting.

My wife and I are both teachers with close to 40 years combined experience, and we are terrible at this homeschooling thing. :wowey:

• Like 1

So... had my first actual little sense of panic in this corona pandemic today, for ridiculous reasons admittedly, but... Systembolaget, that sells all liquor, wine and other high proof stuff is having trouble at their central storage and is going to stop distributing limited stocks, meaning the "good ****" and will stick to the standard offerings. The thought of not being able to get to pick real nice stuff terrifies me. Though I realized I can still get Plantation 20, so I should be fine.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I spent the day sitting on my porch, listening to SiriusXM and just watching the sun trace it's arc through the sky. It was time well spent.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Got something wrong with me, I get dizzyspells coming from nowhere all of a sudden, going from all fine to feeling like I've drank a full bottle of booze. I did give my boss half a heartattack calling in sick though. I'm not getting in a car when I feel like this.

• Gasp! 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I spent the day sitting on my porch, listening to SiriusXM and just watching the sun trace it's arc through the sky. It was time well spent.

recommended apocalypse playlist. say what you will 'bout the game(s), the song list(s) is strong.

following is a noticeable absent track from an obsidian addition to the ip:

@Azdeus

you mentioned the alcohol shortage? perhaps your body doesn't know how to handle such a consistent low blood-alcohol. drink more and see if things improve.

not serious advice btw.

feel better.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

recommended apocalypse playlist. say what you will 'bout the game(s), the song list(s) is strong.

following is a noticeable absent track from an obsidian addition to the ip:

@Azdeus

you mentioned the alcohol shortage? perhaps your body doesn't know how to handle such a consistent low blood-alcohol. drink more and see if things improve.

not serious advice btw.

feel better.

HA! Good Fun!

Hmm.. good point, maybe it's best if I go for a rumenema, I hear that is the quickest way to get the blood-alcohol levels properly balanced!

🤣

In all seriousness tho, thanks 😃

---

Since I'm home, I noticed that electricians has started workin on my sisters house. And history repeats itself. Builders I can sort of understand why they'd not think about things like fuses, they're not nails nor are they made out of wood, but ****ing ELECTRICIANS should know better! :banghead:

Edited by Azdeus

@Gromnir IIRC that song is included in a mod for FONV that expands the radio stations playlists. More Where That Came From is the title I think. It's been a long time since I played it. Maybe too long. It also added Hank Williams "Lost Highway" which fit the mood brilliantly IMO. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

@Gromnir IIRC that song is included in a mod for FONV that expands the radio stations playlists. More Where That Came From is the title I think. It's been a long time since I played it. Maybe too long. It also added Hank Williams "Lost Highway" which fit the mood brilliantly IMO. 

will need to check it out as we always thought it were an almost criminal oversight to not include any version o' the song which inspired the name o' the game title. 

another curious absent song from the fo catalog

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I had a two hour conference call for work. Then spent another hour cost auditing. Always fun. Then worked in the garden, cleaned the solar panels, collected some eggs and played OOTP. Now I'm thinking of making some black bean soup and cornbread for dinner. 

Thomas Sowell