Today - what you've done

Amentep

Cancelled schools for 3 weeks here, and apparently people are blitzing the shops buying food.  I regret not stocking up more last week, not that we are short of anything but we do need basmati rice 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You can always use more basmati rice!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Skazz said:

Honestly? Sounds magical. 🙂

I'll admit to being jealous, the weather here doesn't  allow anything close to that :(

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Double post, but...

I got inspired and checked the weather for tonight, looks like it'll be clear for once, so I might take inspiration from GD and relax away from everything for a couple of hours atleast and head into the woods, maybe bring some nice hotdogs and buns, some dry firewood, and head to the windshelter I built a couple of decades ago on a piece of promontory by the lake in the woods with my gramps. It's 15 days to go until it's been 20 years since he died, but the timing will be good.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Skazz said:

Honestly? Sounds magical. 🙂

It's nice. I never get tired of it. I live out in the sticks and the entire northern border of my property is a Wildlife Management Area. My nearest neighbor is far enough away I can't see their house. And there are no street lights out here so at night the stars are all visible. No light pollution at all. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It's nice. I never get tired of it. I live out in the sticks and the entire northern border of my property is a Wildlife Management Area. My nearest neighbor is far enough away I can't see their house. And there are no street lights out here so at night the stars are all visible. No light pollution at all. 

I have a little light pollution to the north-north-west where a town is and to the south-south-west whenever there's a football game, but other than that I'm golden. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Azdeus said:

I have a little light pollution to the north-north-west where a town is and to the south-south-west whenever there's a football game, but other than that I'm golden. :)

Your outdoor weather is only getting warmer too. Besides... I thought you guys LOVED the cold!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Your outdoor weather is only getting warmer too. Besides... I thought you guys LOVED the cold!

Haha, I do love the cold, but we've had record rainfall and heat, neither of which are particularly to my tastes :p

As I stare outside at the snow falling from the grey sky all I can think about is the warm monsoons of southern Arizona

Working from home for a while for the next couple of weeks at least

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Day 3 of mandatory WFH due to going abroad to help my mother just when SHTF. They’re sending me the stuff drafted by the most retarded associates, probably because they can’t hear the groans as I have to redo everything.

Ah well, I got slightly into prepping a couple of years ago when I lived about five hours from anybody I know, so I have enough stuff I like to eat to last me a couple of weeks without having to leave the apartment once.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Spent 6 hours last night by the lake, small fire, lots of hotdogs, a couple of glasses of rum and just chilling, listening to a really quiet night, no car sounds, no birds, no wind just the light crackling from the fire. Got up when a helo flew over and disturbed the "moment" or I'd probably have sat there for hours more.

I need to do that again.

Thanks for the tip GD ;)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

If I lived that far away from civilization and, more importantly, light pollution, I would 100% buy a telescope. The night sky is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experience away from light pollution.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

If I lived that far away from civilization and, more importantly, light pollution, I would 100% buy a telescope. The night sky is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT experience away from light pollution.

I've got that on my little wishlist, but they're fricking expensive to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Spent 6 hours last night by the lake, small fire, lots of hotdogs, a couple of glasses of rum and just chilling, listening to a really quiet night, no car sounds, no birds, no wind just the light crackling from the fire. Got up when a helo flew over and disturbed the "moment" or I'd probably have sat there for hours more.

I need to do that again.

Thanks for the tip GD ;)

The world is a beautiful place if you can just get out in it and away from the things that detract from it. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I've got that on my little wishlist, but they're fricking expensive to be honest.

No kidding. A good one will set you back over $1k US. And a not so good one will ruin the whole experience. I have a book around here somewhere about building a Dobsonian mount reflector. That is on my to-do list.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

On a different note, I wonder why most of the people I know of that are interested in getting telescopes are lorry drivers, or in my case a prospective one. There are three drivers at work that has built their own little observatories.

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The world is a beautiful place if you can just get out in it and away from the things that detract from it. 

I couldn't agree more, especially after having a small taste of it!

• Like 1

Yesterday I attempted to climb something called Mount Umunhum on my road bike. There are a few good summits in my area that I've been meaning to hit, and this one is about 3500 ft. up. It was a beautiful ride, about 60 degrees and sunny, and I was feeling good on the long climbs. But about 3 miles to the top, heavy winds and rain picked up and I had to turn around. It was crazy how drastically the weather changed when I got near the peak. Anyways, still a great day on the bike, and I'll get it next time. 

YMO_4Jv0odGP4jr5NUQhu-E0EdjMenwsmaW0Z1q6

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 6

Oh, fun. As of tomorrow we're in lockdown.

I'm someone who rarely gets sick. In the past 10 years I was on sickleave for perhaps a handful of days. I always chalked that up to having a well working immune system, but now that I think of the upcoming lockdown rules and I realized I've essentially lived the lockdown rules for the past 20 years.

Hah. I always knew there'd come a time when being a socially awkward recluse would put me in a position where I can belittle the common rabble. 😆

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My wife really struggles with the lockdown: doesn't know what to do (even though she's supposed to do homeoffice - but difficult with three kids sort of), wanders around in the appartement, is restless and nervous.

Me (and my oldest daughter): It's cool. 'Cause nobody urges us to go outside all the time. 🤔

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

21 hours ago, majestic said:

Oh, fun. As of tomorrow we're in lockdown.

I'm someone who rarely gets sick. In the past 10 years I was on sickleave for perhaps a handful of days. I always chalked that up to having a well working immune system, but now that I think of the upcoming lockdown rules and I realized I've essentially lived the lockdown rules for the past 20 years.

Hah. I always knew there'd come a time when being a socially awkward recluse would put me in a position where I can belittle the common rabble. 😆

Heh, got a company wide (i.e. to all 14 countries we operate in) email after lunch from the CEO today, Tuesday at COB is pack and go home time until next month. Not open for negotiation.

Just great when I'm currently living in a hotel with sucky hotel WIFI.

Could've been worse I guess. At least they got toilet paper and a bar 🙄

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As a silver lining, so many businesses being closed means far less traffic on the roads. I pulled into Toledo Ohio this morning right during what would normally be the height of the morning rush and there was little traffic, no slowdowns at all. 

There's always the chance we get shut down too, but they can't shut everything down, people still gotta eat, and we exclusively haul food grade liquids (milk, cream, liquid eggs, juices, etc.), so I'm fairly confident we'll keep running.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 3/14/2020 at 8:30 AM, Azdeus said:

This is it. It covers everything from making a mirror from blank glass to the optical tube/truss mounts. It also goes into detail on the math behind the design of telescopes. Interesting stuff. I was thinking of making a 16" f6.5 once. Still on my to-do list

9780943396552-us.jpg

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell