Today - what you've done

Amentep

I planted two acres yesterday. A mixed bag of veggies plus a patch where I'm going to resume my quest to grow a perfect tomato. I actually cut four acres but I think I'm getting too old to handle that much by myself. Very sore today.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 2/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, Malcador said:

As Bob Marley said “The day you stop racing, is the day you win the race.”. 

Sadly my management disagrees with this philosophy. Pft.

Modern Talking disagrees too.

Heh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:51 PM, Keyrock said:

Good luck. I'd say see you out there on the road, but we got an ocean between us.

On the 17th of March, at noon, I get the theory books and simulator time allotment, then they expect us to start driving about two weeks to a month later, then a 4 week period of practical training for the certificate that actually allows me to work as a truck driver, and not just drive around for fun. The school expects this to take about 15-25 weeks, and the workplace expects us to be done before June, in about ten weeks. XD

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

On the 17th of March, at noon, I get the theory books and simulator time allotment, then they expect us to start driving about two weeks to a month later, then a 4 week period of practical training for the certificate that actually allows me to work as a truck driver, and not just drive around for fun. The school expects this to take about 15-25 weeks, and the workplace expects us to be done before June, in about ten weeks. XD

For me the CDL school took about 4 1/2 weeks. I did classroom for about a week, took some practice tests, then took the tests to get a temp permit. Then I spent a couple weeks out in the yard practicing backing up and doing pretrip inspections and on the simulator. Then I went out on the road with an instructor, 20 total hours on the road. After that came the 3 tests to get the CDL: Pretrip, backing, and road test. 

Once I got my CDL the (****ty) company that paid for my training in exchange for a year of my services had me out on the road with a driver mentor for 2 weeks. After that, I was a full employee driving. As soon as my year was up and my contract fulfilled I handed in my 2 week notice and got a job with a decent company. Now I make fairly good money and work for a company that treats me well. That first year was rough, though, but I knew it would be going in.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 3/7/2020 at 5:27 PM, Guard Dog said:

You can also try an Omega 3 supplement like fish oil or flax seed oil in his food.  It's great for clearing up skin problems

we let our little dogs lick clean our sardine tins. does that count as getting 'em their omega 3 dosage?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*Plays Death Stranding*
*Plays Death Stranding*
*Plays Death Stranding*
*Plays Death Stranding*
*Plays Death Stranding*
*Plays Death Stranding*

Well, that took care of the 5 pounds I gained the past few months...

On 3/8/2020 at 8:07 AM, Guard Dog said:

where I'm going to resume my quest to grow a perfect tomato.

Sounds like hubby, albeit in smaller space form. He's obsessed with tomatoes. Although I think he said this year he's going to focus on something else for once.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Halfway through my second week as homeless.... literally homeless 😝

My Quality of Life is considerably better than people living on the streets though. Courtesy of Covid-19, hotel prices are rock bottom at the moment. Good thing too when looking for a new place to rent and live permanently. Allows me to be a bit "pickier" and not sign up for the first thing I can get. Moving interstate is always such a hassle. Not as much as moving internationally mind you, but still. I'm getting too old for this **** (waves walking stick threateningly at kids on his non-existing lawn)

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Halfway through my second week as homeless.... literally homeless 😝

My Quality of Life is considerably better than people living on the streets though. Courtesy of Covid-19, hotel prices are rock bottom at the moment. Good thing too when looking for a new place to rent and live permanently. Allows me to be a bit "pickier" and not sign up for the first thing I can get. Moving interstate is always such a hassle. Not as much as moving internationally mind you, but still. I'm getting too old for this **** (waves walking stick threateningly at kids on his non-existing lawn)

Good luck finding a place to live. I spent a year and a half homeless a bunch of years ago. It was not nearly as bad as I though it would be, the biggest drawback was that the winters were really harsh (I lived in Connecticut back then) and all the shelters were full, but honestly I had a tent and a sleeping bag and plenty of blankets, so the weather was a minor concern, getting kicked out of places, since almost nothing in America is still public land, was the bigger concern. On the positive side, the area I was in had a really good soup kitchen that took care of the people. Oddly enough, I actually managed to gain money during that time, mostly doing MTurk  stuff on my laptop at the library. $70 a week may not seem like much, but when your bills are basically zero...  Anyway, the lesson I learned was to swallow my pride and accept help from family and/or friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

My MiL really did it today. It's my wife's birthday and she called her fat and compared her unfavourably to the babysitter. On her birthday.

is no less true for mothers.

am of the opinion the single greatest threat to a young girl's self-esteem and emotional well-being is a mom who supposed just wants what's best for her daughter, and growing up don't save those girls from the wrath o' mom.

your wife couldn't choose MiL, but she chose you. am hopeful recognition o' such helps salvage a birthday envenomed by a mom. 

HA! Good Luck!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

My MiL really did it today. It's my wife's birthday and she called her fat and compared her unfavourably to the babysitter. On her birthday.

You two trapped in a house with her sounds like a steel cage death match. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I think even Mick Foley would be hesitant! 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I think even Mick Foley would be hesitant! 

This reminds me of that one time in 1998, when The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

You know exactly what I was thinking of! xD

• Haha 1

It was mostly funny because that was the solution in a dedicated meeting room with a 100k worth of teleconferencing equipment and 11 IT folks. Toilet paper tube would have been even better just for the sheer absurdity of having that just laying around in the room.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Maybe some DS9 will help.  Reminded me a bit of this. Except one was funny, the other... probably not so much.

am knowing it were done for comedy, and she weren't much to look at, but "moogie" is our best ds9 woman... by far.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Well, no sports. That means I've got nothing to do tonight now. I'm in no mood  for TV or radio or music anyway. This is a good night sit in my rocking chair, look up at the stars and drink one or two more than I should. Between the owls. whipporwills, and if I'm lucky, coyotes there will be plenty to listen to tonight. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I'm looking forward to each new day's dose of insanity, and our beloved, glorious leader already told us to expect more draconian measures to be revealed tomorrow. Well, today, considering it's almost 0100. Kinda expecting a full lockdown like in Italy.

That could be fun. Except of course the government also already said that any measures will not interfere with the transportation of cargo. Gotta keep the spice flowing... what a time to work at a transport and logistics company. I'll still be working (probably from home) after everyone else gets some days off, or reduced work time with equal pay. Bah.

Edited by majestic

25 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well, no sports. That means I've got nothing to do tonight now. I'm in no mood  for TV or radio or music anyway. This is a good night sit in my rocking chair, look up at the stars and drink one or two more than I should. Between the owls. whipporwills, and if I'm lucky, coyotes there will be plenty to listen to tonight. 

Honestly? Sounds magical. 🙂