Today - what you've done

Amentep

Just spent the last six days camping and fishing with Sunny & Bella in Florida. The weather was beautiful and, best of all, we had the entire island to ourselves... until today anyway. I was planning on staying through tomorrow but other folks came in and set up camp this morning. So we are heading back home today.

No phone, no radio, no internet, or technology of any kind. The most advanced equipment I carried was a flashlight. We fished from sunrise until lunch, Took a walk around the island or up Shired Creek towards the Suwanee in the early afternoon then fished again from around 5 until sunset. I caught reds and spotted trout, including two big ones, off the oyster bars. Then read by the campfire in the evening. It was awesome. 

I'm telling you guys.. this modern life we live is no damned good for anyone. The stress, the noise, the hectic pace... who needs this s--t? When was the last time you just stopped to watch a sunrise or sun set? Or really looked at the stars? Thoreau was right about a lot of things. This most of all; Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they're after.

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As Bob Marley said “The day you stop racing, is the day you win the race.”. 

Sadly my management disagrees with this philosophy. Pft.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Picked up a Raspberry Pi IR Camera to hook up onto my OctroPrint Raspberry Pi. Then spent time printing off a case for it and an articulated arm to mount it on.

Now I don't have to leave the light on in the room to see how my 3d Prints are going.. ;)

Also, printed off a stand for my SaberForge Lightsaber I picked up.   Sometimes, the geek it calls to you....

87902915_10158242575895746_1052767346915

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got the news that we're having a meeting on friday about the procedure for the truck licences, timeframes and all such things. I'm nervous as hell for some reason XD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Got the news that we're having a meeting on friday about the procedure for the truck licences, timeframes and all such things. I'm nervous as hell for some reason XD

It's because all the Poles will be there.

Don't mention the war.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Don't mention the war.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 hours ago, Skazz said:

^ I am equal parts greatly respectful and criminally unhappy that Fawlty Towers ended up having just one season.

Also, John Cleese is like 82% legs.

I fleel the same way about Firefly to be honest, the plans that they unveiled afterwards for that series had me glad it was ended when it was actually good.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

22 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Good luck. I'd say see you out there on the road, but we got an ocean between us.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 hours ago, Skazz said:

It's because all the Poles will be there.

Don't mention the war.

They still haven't forgiven them for Charles XII ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sort of puzzled why people are stocking up on toilet paper for COVID-19 rather than canned goods.  This is sort of like SARS, was funny to note that before then you'd never see hand sanitizier in buildings or even hospitals.  I guess this will inspire people to have proper hygiene, maybe.  Always some scumbag hacking with his mouth uncovered or wiping snot off his nose and touching things, bleh.

17 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Good luck. I'd say see you out there on the road, but we got an ocean between us.

You're lucky :grin:

Seriously though, thanks 😃

• Like 1

I'm getting used to staying up until 0700.  I had to take the noc shift because of classes.  I have advanced nursing practice and advanced pharmacology this semester.  With God as my judge, it's not a pecking order thing.  Being a specialized nurse with decent overtime might even make more money than a nurse practitioner.  It's not that I get to wear a white coat.  It's that I'm old.  Old enough that I didn't want to go to med school at the time.  Old enough that I don't want the physical demands of being a nurse for the next twenty years.  Even that's not the case, though.  I want as much freedom to help my patients as much as possible without having to answer to someone else.  If California goes the same way as about half of the states, I'll be the primary provider and I'll be my own man.  I might be a bit of a jackass around here, which I freely admit, but I'm *good* with patients.  They respond to me.  they trust me.  In the past, if I'd posted this late, it would undoubtedly be the result of overindulgence.  Now, it's trying to stay awake.  Gives me the chance to catch up on random internet jawbonin' about political events.

@Guard Dog Keep up the faith, man.  I catch up on your posts when I'm here infrequently and feel like we're friends, even if you don't know who I am.  Take that as an insult or a compliment as you wish, but I believe you're a decent guy trying to make sense of what I am convinced is a chaotic and capricious world.

• Like 3

"Not for the sake of much time..."

i have a throat infection and im wondering if i should go to the doctor or wait for  it to pass. could it be the C-virus?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

3 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

i have a throat infection and im wondering if i should go to the doctor or wait for  it to pass. could it be the C-virus?

well, from so far I knew, if you don't feel any serious difficulty on your breathing, better not go to the hospital which normally increase the risk of infection.

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

Got up early and turned the garden soil then cut the rows. That wasn't hard work because I have a small tractor. Now comes planting. That kind of sucks. And I'm kind of procrastinating

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Got up early and turned the garden soil then cut the rows. That wasn't hard work because I have a small tractor. Now comes planting. That kind of sucks. And I'm kind of procrastinating

But you have two wonderful dogs, so it all evens out in the end.

• Like 2

Speaking of dogs, mine has been hit with seasonal allergies and bit himself up good last night. So this morning I gave him a nice early bath in the cold, which neither of us enjoyed. Time to order more allergy supplements.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Speaking of dogs, mine has been hit with seasonal allergies and bit himself up good last night. So this morning I gave him a nice early bath in the cold, which neither of us enjoyed. Time to order more allergy supplements.

How is it affecting him? Skin? Eyes?

Benadryl works pretty well on dogs for short term use. 1 mg per pound of body weight. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

It's been nicer, but still too cold for me, weather recently so my MiL has been hanging out on the back patio a lot. She's kinda weird in some of the things she does but yesterday upped her game. She took some pillows off of our couch, which is the most expensive piece of furniture that we have, and took them outside for some unknown reason. Anyways, nobody realized she did this yesterday until I released the hounds this morning and saw them still sitting outside on the patio furniture.

We have outdoor pillows and cushions already out there and we have extra outdoor stuff in the garage so, yeah, I dunno.

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Skin, mostly. I will try the benadryl, thanks. 

You can also try an Omega 3 supplement like fish oil or flax seed oil in his food.  It's great for clearing up skin problems

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell