Today - what you've done

Amentep

15 hours ago, Lexx said:

True. But just thinking about the next time I have to move somewhere else stresses me out, because this thing is so huge and apparently quite fragile.

It's one of the reasons why I try to buy as little physical stuff now as possible... the more you have, the more moving the house becomes a pain in the arse. Especially if the next one might be smaller than the current one (I've already downgraded and had to fit in A LOT into a small space). A part of me wishes to just throw away half the stuff I have, because I rarely use it anyway. But there's memories attached to everything, and it would pain me a lot.

Yeah, when we moved from the rented house to the purchased house we had to downsize a lot. Hubby is one of those that doesn't like to toss things (technical or tool and parts wise) so he had a tough time. It annoys me occasionally with his closets/shelves and floors full of "stuff" but then again 90% of the time when I say "I need ..."  hubby disappears for 2-3 minutes and comes back with exactly that. So it has benefits. 😛

We kept the box our last 50" TV came in, styrofoam packing and all. When we moved we put it back in the box and it worked fine/made it easy to move. Of course that means you need to have the space to store the box.

When I was a kid I used to toss toys, drawings, whatever and later that week I'd notice my mother had retrieved them from out of the garbage can, lol. She used to "envy" my ability to toss things out. I mostly keep photos/negatives, certain fave books/dvd's these days. Oh and my mothers long solid wood/wicker buffet/storage unit and simple 60's/70's couch. I refuse to part with those. But generally with non-furniture things if I find I never use it over 6-12 months, it gets tossed.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Up until the last time I relocated from one state to another, I also had a dresser full of nuts, bolts, cords, cables (from old IDE to obsolete RGB, sata2,3, obscure USB formats etc.). I mean, it was perfectly good stuff, you can't just throw it away!!! :unsure:

(in the end, I did it anyway, keeping only a few 220V main power, some RJ45 and a handful USB cables)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mother. Of. God.

:blink:

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Trying to fix a problem with my laptop. This is it... no more windows machines for me. If I have to buy another I'm switching to mac. 

• Sad 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

46 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Trying to fix a problem with my laptop. This is it... no more windows machines for me. If I have to buy another I'm switching to mac. 

Well, there's always Linux

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not sure I could go Linux system with gaming. For other things maybe.

This evening: I'm hungry for take-out. Call Chinese food place. Busy, on hold 5 minutes. Hangs up spontaneously. Try again. Same. Forget it. Call BBQ. Get voice mail is full auto message (on vacation or perm-closed who knows). Call pizza place. Ordered. Finally. Now I want a movie to watch.... is Parasite the film rentable yet? No. Terminator Dark Fate? No. Sigh....  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm not sure I could go Linux system with gaming. For other things maybe.

This evening: I'm hungry for take-out. Call Chinese food place. Busy, on hold 5 minutes. Hangs up spontaneously. Try again. Same. Forget it. Call BBQ. Get voice mail is full auto message (on vacation or perm-closed who knows). Call pizza place. Ordered. Finally. Now I want a movie to watch.... is Parasite the film rentable yet? No. Terminator Dark Fate? No. Sigh....  :lol:

There's probably an app for that.

Of all the wonders of the internet that one's my favorite. Ordering and paying online, limiting my interaction with people to accepting the delivery and tipping the wage slave delivery guy. Same with online banking. Except for the tipping. Tipping bankers. Tsk. What a concept. 😄

If that post doesn't make sense then that's because I just spent the past 24 hours fixing problems with data migration scripts that were made by the monkeys that run around calling themselves IT professionals, developers or software engineers. Morons, the lot of them. Probably "majored" in "CompSci" at the Advanced Computer Engineering Ape University of Monkeyland at some point.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 1/21/2020 at 10:02 PM, ShadySands said:

What's the problem?

Motherboard. I didn't fix it exactly. More like worked around it by changing the IRQ and a few other things.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Got up this morning and took Sunny and Bela for a walk down to Cold Creek and back. We used to follow it all the way to the river but they are both elderly and Sunny has health problems now. After we got back I made them breakfast, 2 cups of Blue Buffalo Wilderness for seniors and two cups of Fresh Pet Select warmed up in the microwave. I made a pot of coffee for myself and we're all now sitting on the porch. They are snoozing and i'm returning e-mails and talking to you fine folks. 

The sun is shining. The sky is a cloudless azure blue. The air is clear and cool. It's going to be a good day.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I guess I've been living more than a year in Melbourne now... too long. Time to cross borders again. Although only interstate. International relocation is even more expensive than interstate relocation, besides I'm busy getting through the citizenship application process. Would hate to see that wasted 😛

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Skazz said:

What's wrong with Melbourne?

I'm just not a fan of big cities. Too many people, too many queues, too cramped, just generally too crowded everywhere (and the weather sucks) ;)

I need green stuff and wilderness within close range to feel comfortable.

But, while I'm still here, a Serbian friend of mine asked me if I didn't want to join her for the Australian Open quarter finals tonight, since her country man Djokovich is playing. Not having been to a tennis match before, it's going to be fun to experience (I hope)

• Like 2

Got a new washer and dryer, an LG model that was on sale at Home Depot.  Can't shake the nagging feeling we picked a lemon, but I feel that way any time I spend more than $50.   Will be nice to do laundry at nights though, have been pretty bored at home without having that to do.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 11:22 PM, Gorth said:

I guess I've been living more than a year in Melbourne now... too long. Time to cross borders again. Although only interstate. International relocation is even more expensive than interstate relocation, besides I'm busy getting through the citizenship application process. Would hate to see that wasted 😛

With all the travelling you've done in recent years ir probably feels good being in one spot for a while

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

With all the travelling you've done in recent years ir probably feels good being in one spot for a while

I'm just too worried, that if I ever slow down, age will catch up with me. I have to keep running! 😁

As mentioned somewhere above, got to spend the day at the games. A slightly one sided affair unfortunately, where are the marathon 5 sets when you finally get a chance to watch it??? Djokovic won, outcome wasn't really much in doubt after the first two sets. Still, it was great to try a new experience. Taken with my phone...

image.thumb.jpeg.a20b3d87d88292aab3e732e3e2cca6dd.jpeg

edit: Those serves... sheesh. display at the far corner says 224 km/h :unsure:

• Like 3

I had a delivery in Klingerstown, PA yesterday. Holy crap that place was SUPER deep in the boonies. That was the kind of "town" (town might be stretching it) where a slasher film would take place. You know the type of movie I'm talking about: Group of friends get hopelessly lost and wind up stuck in the middle of nowhere. No cell phone reception, gps doesn't work, and there's one land line in a 50 mile radius and it sometimes doesn't work. The locals seem nice enough at first, but then weird things keep happening. Eventually they all wind up getting hacked to bits, one by one, by a deranged, misshapen, psycho axe murderer.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I had a delivery in Klingerstown, PA yesterday. Holy crap that place was SUPER deep in the boonies. That was the kind of "town" (town might be stretching it) where a slasher film would take place. You know the type of movie I'm talking about: Group of friends get hopelessly lost and wind up stuck in the middle of nowhere. No cell phone reception, gps doesn't work, and there's one land line in a 50 mile radius and it sometimes doesn't work. The locals seem nice enough at first, but then weird things keep happening. Eventually they all wind up getting hacked to bits, one by one, by a deranged, misshapen, psycho axe murderer.

So how many did you chop up ? 

• Haha 2

I went back to the Australian Open yesterday evening, not to watch tennis, but to watch Billy Idol who were the evenings entertainment on the AO Live Stage.

He still got it. In fact, I found him great and deserving of a much better audience than a bunch of tennis goers just expecting to be entertained. Bunch of lobotomized wet noodles all of them (me included).

I caught a few songs on my phone, which I'll see if I can't get uploaded to youtube a bit later.

On 1/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, Gorth said:

I'm just too worried, that if I ever slow down, age will catch up with me. I have to keep running! 😁

As mentioned somewhere above, got to spend the day at the games. A slightly one sided affair unfortunately, where are the marathon 5 sets when you finally get a chance to watch it??? Djokovic won, outcome wasn't really much in doubt after the first two sets. Still, it was great to try a new experience. Taken with my phone...

edit: Those serves... sheesh. display at the far corner says 224 km/h :unsure:

ok, am gonna admit this image has bothered us every time we view. bottom left o' the pic, next to the woman in the snakeskin (or at least animal print ) jacket is somebody doing something vague with their hands which looks like kinda picking at their fingernails. ew. real issue is...

stripped object is a hat? am maybe looking at it wrong, but am not certain at what am looking. is probable obvious and am having somehow made difficult, but...

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

stripped object is a hat? am maybe looking at it wrong, but am not certain at what am looking. is probable obvious and am having somehow made difficult, but...

Sorry Gromnir...

I just checked the other pictures from the night, unfortunately none of them shows the mystery object from a better angle :(

5 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Sorry Gromnir...

I just checked the other pictures from the night, unfortunately none of them shows the mystery object from a better angle :(

you do realize given our borderline ocd this will continue to gnaw at us beyond all reason, yes?

part o' gorth's nefarious plan to drive us more insane.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)