Today - what you've done

Amentep

@Azdeus My father had tinnitus going back to a head injury in his early 20s, as well as severe misophonia of many things, including the tinnitus. Both were always much worse when he drank. I've had tinnitus and misophonia since I was a kid as well, but 'unfortunately' won't ever discover if it has the same effect on me.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You have my sympathies, I do hope atleast that the sounds that trigger it are rare?

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm not too bothered by the tinnitus itself - only once in a while does it get extreme enough to really get to me (like, maybe 2-3 times a year, which really isn't bad at all - it used to be worse and more frequent when I was a kid/teen, but slowly got better over time). The misophonia, on the other hand, is triggered by a lot of different things, but that's why I always keep sound dampening earplugs near or on me, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

After forever, Nvidia's finally ticked me off a bit with their new "d/l Control Panel from Windows Store" shenanigans.  As well as (this is only important to me personally 😛 ) making the Ansel config tools/options only available through Experience (*waves a watch* you will love Experience, you will use Experience) vs. a separate outside utility. You can avoid the former for the moment in a couple ways (like disconnecting 'net cable upon a wipe/new driver install) but who knows how long that'll be the case.

I may buy one of the new consoles when they come out and just hang up (new release) PC gaming/all software entirely. Then my PC should last until the parts actually rust out because everything I already have works fine with old drivers/builds and doesn't need any "updating".

Rant rant. Ok I feel better now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm not too bothered by the tinnitus itself - only once in a while does it get extreme enough to really get to me (like, maybe 2-3 times a year, which really isn't bad at all - it used to be worse and more frequent when I was a kid/teen, but slowly got better over time). The misophonia, on the other hand, is triggered by a lot of different things, but that's why I always keep sound dampening earplugs near or on me, :).

Hubby started getting mild constant tinnitus this past year. Can't be sure how severe it is for him but he says most of the time he can ignore it even tho it's always there, only occasionally getting loud enough to be a big issue. I told him to stop using headphones - which means I now get to listen all his "how to" YT videos at loud volumes because he's also become harder of hearing in general.  :lol: For him that (maybe?) could've sped up or caused it to begin with if he was using headphones at higher and higher volumes, without thinking, to compensate...

I've also told him to use something over his ears when using power tools and the like but I don't think he does, still.   😕

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Recent changes at work has me seriously thinking about my life and career. To say that it (my career) did not go as planned would be the mildest of understatements.  Some up, some down. Some successes, lots of setbacks. But the latest one has me contemplating how we all get where we end up. How every step we take seems right and well considered in the moment but the errors so glaring in retrospect. That is how life is I guess. You get the test first and the lesson after. 

• Hmmm 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Played some pnp yesterday for the first time in ages, in a campaign that's been going on since before summer. Then realisation struck me as I started bantering back and forth with the bard player again to stop him from singing my praises left and right... And one of the more talented players started singing "Toss a coin to your witcher" xD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I am listing our RV for sale. We have travelled the country in it for the last 12 years as a family. It is a bit emotional.

Wow, has it really been that long? I remember when you bought it!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I am listing our RV for sale. We have travelled the country in it for the last 12 years as a family. It is a bit emotional.

if your rv is emotional, then you need to get rid of it yesterday. good move. is few things more aggravating than an emotional rv. balk at mountain travel. pouts when it gets hot or wet or cold. moody if doesn't have new tires and belts. 

and what does greta have to say 'bout all o' hurl's internal combustion aided travel?

hqdefault.jpg

can't tell from the picture, but she asks "why is hurlshot not using trains for his cross country family trips?" greta then suggested a solar-powered and self-propelled yurt as replacement transportation. 

emotional rv and and a grumpy greta? not worth the headache.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm pretty sure driving our RV across the country is better for the environment than flying, but I'm no expert. But my wife would definitely agree on the pitfalls of my emotional relationship to the thing. It's my baby, and it sasses less than my kids.

Anyways, Facebook Marketplace is a crazy thing, I've got 4 different people already asking on it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm pretty sure driving our RV across the country is better for the environment than flying, but I'm no expert.

am not an expert either, but am pretty sure even flying "trains" are better for the environment than is driving cross country in the rv. am knowing high speed rail is an energy hog usual dependent on nuke power in most locations, but economics o' mass transit nevertheless makes 'em more environmental conscientious than personal passenger powered by internal combustion. 

we do feel sympathy for the serious woke 2020 environmental conscious peoples as they need give up so much to avoid being hypocrites. meanwhile Gromnir, 'cause am having no children, could set flame to a half-dozen boxes o' hundred-count plastic straws is a coal-fire oven every day and know our carbon footprint will be smaller than almost anybody who produced offspring.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think Elon Musk said something similar to what Grom wrote.  I think it was when he was on Joe Rogan's show when he was asked why cars and not planes, though he said he does have some plane ideas as well but cars are more important to fix first.

As for me, today is my first day back in the office since the 19th. I'm not enjoying it.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Today - what you've done

shop-02.jpg

I went on Amazon thinking maybe I'd finally buy Aliens on blu-ray (I have the extended on DVD already). Didn't find a version of it that I liked but ... everything was so cheap since the last time I looked for movie stuff (I guess 'cause of 4k discs now?).  I never bought many blurays to begin with since I mostly stream things these days.  But now I wonder if it's time for a 4k bluray player.  Didn't see tons of 4k discs I'd want to buy but there were some. Or are they going to have 8k before long. 😛

Edit: yup...8k tv's are on the horizon. No 8k content yet tho.  I want that LG OLED 75" 8k TV anyway. Haha.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Yesterday I turned and fertilized the garden.  I'm planting 5 acres this year. The soil has been resting since May. Now WHAT I'm planting is still a matter for consideration. I still have a considerable amount of canned produce in mason jars in the pantry. Strawberries, jalapenos, and tomatoes for sure. I have been wanting to try honeydew melons as a cash crop. But they are a pain because of seeding requirements. You have to start them in trays. Butter beans, black eye peas and  snap peas are also a for sure

Thomas Sowell

On 1/7/2020 at 10:14 PM, Gromnir said:

we do feel sympathy for the serious woke 2020 environmental conscious peoples as they need give up so much to avoid being hypocrites. meanwhile Gromnir, 'cause am having no children, could set flame to a half-dozen boxes o' hundred-count plastic straws is a coal-fire oven every day and know our carbon footprint will be smaller than almost anybody who produced offspring.

HA! Good Fun!

If only it was this simple.
Wealth generated is as damaging as population.
You could have half a dozen kids in Nigeria and they would not do the climate damage your assets can do after they are inherited.

Woke up early to an emergency alert about an incident at a nuclear plant in the area, that was fun.  Sadly fell asleep so lost productive time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Forgot my wallet and cigarettes at home, came to work my workphone has reinstalled whatsapp, all the workchats are gone... It's one of those mondays ._.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, pmp10 said:

If only it was this simple.
Wealth generated is as damaging as population.
You could have half a dozen kids in Nigeria and they would not do the climate damage your assets can do after they are inherited.

*chuckle*

our assets, almost entire, is going to st jude children's research hospital and the american cancer society. whatever adverse environmental impact those dollars have, am willing put our contribution in the balance w/o any kinda guilt.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1