• Senior Graphics Programmer
    • Senior Engine Programmer
    • Tools Programmer
    • Gameplay Programmer

My most desired position isn't listed in the poll either:

"Microwave Repair Person"

that should keep me busy :)

Have you tried the latest drivers for it ? :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wouldn't mind moving to California, or Cananada or anywhere a developer has shop set up (except EA, apparently). But I can't get the wife to want to move to any of those places.

"Oooh! This is a beautiful place" she'll say.

Me: "why don't we move here, then?"

Her: "Oh god no. Why the hell would I want to live here?"

Me: "I could get a job with Obsidian and..."

Her: "What? More video game crap? When are you going to grow up?"

Me: :p

Her: "Oh knock it off...."

• 3 weeks later...

I could only be a writer .. since I have zero experiance in all the other aspects of designing a game! but that ok, since I would really only enjoy writing the dialouge and story! :blink:

Fortune favors the bald.

8. Quallity Assurance Lead

I firmly believe that a well organized QA department is vital to the success of complex games, which most cRPGs tend to be of course. People often underestimate the importance of that position. A good QA team should not merely track bugs, but also offer active suggestions and feedback to the developers about various game aspects, i.e. which features are fun and which are not. Some ideas might seem fine on paper, but OTOH, their actual in-game implementation may not be that great. The QA team should recognize this early in the design process and make suggestions on how to improve such things or replace them entirely.

A good QA Lead should coordinate the exchange of ideas between the devs and the testers and accordingly organize the play testing process, saving the company much valuable time and money. He should also have (at the very lest) some basic understanding of game design, programming/scripting, art design and general computer knowledge, so that he could easier identify the problems and relate to the solutions. He should also keep in touch with the game's fanbase and occasionally query them on some game aspects and note their opinions.

Hmm, makes you kind of wonder how VTM:Bloodlines, the NWN OC, and ToEE might have turned out had somebody pointed out just a few simple things to their developers, i.e. fighting infinitely respawning enemies is not fun, finding magical items in random barrels of Beggar's Nest is odd, my character has no motivation to follow the main plot... etc. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Your art is pretty good, bro.

There are many ways to get a degree if you don't have the funds. I'm not sure on what part of the United States you live in (or the world for that matter), but I live in Nevada. There's a lot of good colleges and universities around here that offer Associates Degrees and Bachelor's in various art forms.

I'm 18 years old right now, and I'm currently attending ITT Technical Institute which is about 15k a year. Just an example, but they offer a Multimedia Degree here which is a 2 year program that covers various varieties of art. For the most part it's 3D Modeling and Animation, but they teach you some Audio / Video Techniques and some other cool stuff. Now I'm not here to promote my school or anything, but since I'm familiar with it...

I have no money whatsoever to go towards college. There's LOTS of financial aid options available to you, though, regardless of which school you attend. Apply for every single kind of grant and scholarship that you can. Even if they get denied (like all mine did) you can still take Student Loans to pay your way through college. You'll have to pay them back at a later time (12% interest for me...4 years...15k a year...ouch), but if it's what you really want to do it's definitely worth it. I'm currently enrolled for a BCL in Digital Entertainment & Game Design here.

I'll be pretty blunt and say that four years from now, the monthly payments are going to blow chunks, but as long as I'm persuing my dream it's not going to matter. Granted there's no guarentees in getting into the game development field in the first place, but I'm confident I'll land a job somewhere.

Like I said though, your art is pretty good. With some formal schooling and a degree it could take you pretty far. Go for it and persue your dream man. =]

EDIT: Sorry, I got so much into my reply that I got kind of off-topic. I'd love to be a Level / Environmental Artist at Obsidian. Granted I have no experience whatsoever in any form of level design outside the FPS genre, it'd be an awesome and very rewarding job.

well i picked game programmer since that position should be possible for me to go into but. i would love to peek into engine programmer and graphic programmer since they are quite blank areas for me and i want to learn it all. i wouldn't know where to start when it comes to building a game. all i know i need a game engine aswell as a graphic engine. and i don't know a squat about graphic programming. No language i have learn has described how you paint things from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How come every indian wants to be the chief?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.