I have a herald dual wielding this (with Tarn's Respite). She's also sporting a Contender's Armor with stacked Athletics. She's boasting impressive accuracy, say 120-125 in a fight without counting Adaptive. The sabre modal is off. She strikes with speed and precision; this is observed, not just the expected result of the listed factors.

It feels to me that over the course of a long fight (which she spends pretty much only attacking), she should get to 10 stacks and just stay there, but usually when I check her buffs it's not at 10. My primary guess is that the buff in my character sheet is merely a summary of 1-10 individual buffs, each with their own duration.

But, while I'm asking anyway, I would like a confirmation that Flames of Devotion cannot in any way be blamed (it does seem to stack the buff) unless striking fire immunes, and that on-hit also means on-crit - for the purposes of Adaptive and for the purposes of every other proc in this game.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Adaptive gives you +2 ACC per hit for 30 secs. It stacks up to 10 times (and should stack with everything else since it's from a weapon).

Thing is that you basically get up to 10 instances of Adaptive which all last 30 secs. So it's not uncommon that the first instance runs out while you are not yet at 10 stacks. If you are hitting too slowly you can never reach 10 stacks because the first ones already expire.

So let's say you hit every 10 seconds (just for simplicity) and add a stack (stack A,B,C and so on, seconds remaining in brackets):

sec 0: A[30] --> +2 ACC

sec 10: A[20] B[30] --> +4 ACC

sec 10: A[10] B[20] C[30] --> +6 ACC

sec: 20: B[10] C[20] D[30] --> +6 ACC

sec 30:  C[10] D[20] E[30] --> +6 ACC

and so on. If you'd only hit every 10 secs you'd only be able to stack 3 instances of Adaptive. 

If you'd be able to attack every 5 secs you could stack 6 instances. 

On-hit usually includes on-crit when it comes to procs. Flames of Devotions should add their ACC bonus to everything. Also works with Ring of Focused Flame by the way (another +10 ACC). Usually you can check the used ACC per attack roll in the combat log (press shift while hovering over the log entry).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Right, so it's as I suspected, thanks.

What I meant with FoD was a question if it could somehow not add stacks, not if it wouldn't benefit. But on that note, I do love the Ring of Focused Flame for precisely that reason ❤️

Edit: BTW, does the deflection debuff (which for some reason shows up as a buff) from Tarn's Respite work the same way? With multiple instances and all that stuff.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!