Deadfire is a better Obsidian RPG than Outer Worlds

GraysonLevi

having played via both it seems to me that on every single front deadfire is a deeper, greater interesting rpg. the individual advent, stats, capabilities, device, world, companions, your tale selections, fight, literally every rpg part of the sport is better.

perhaps it's the constraint of having to make an fps in a extraordinary engine however outer worlds just seems so watered down in contrast to what obsidian did with the pillars games. i will say that outer worlds is a funnier sport and arguably has better writing however standard i'm a touch

Could this be for perceived marketing reasons?  It always appeared to me that the better the RPG, the more the mass-market players not only don't get it, but actually resent its features as impediments and sheer tedium to their ego-trip. :( They gloss over and click past the [carefully written] dialogs in the simple search for "Who do I have to shoot next, and what does it get me?".

I think Bethesda learned a lot from New Vegas... but nothing I'd have wanted them too... It's as though they learned (or reaffirmed) that through further simplification (other than graphics) they leave less players irritated or confused (as to plot and their expected role in it); IE. the opposite of New Vegas.  Or that they learned that the bulk of their sales go to players who essentially prefer DOOM to Dwarf Fortress, and look upon an RPG's best features with disdain.

For some sad reason(s), Troika/Obsidian's (and certain other's) work always seems conceptually better than their more successful competitors, but always comes out second best or worse.  It's like Watching Bugs vs. Daffy (minus the duck's signature caustic attitude, of course ;) ).

• Like 2

Unfortunately the market for games like PoE is rather small so naturally people will gravitate towards games like ToW due to their streamlined nature.

There's really no other less blunt way to put it, gamers tend to feel comfortable in familiar territory before engaging in complex and nuanced questions such as plot, gameplay, character progression, etc.

Deadfire is so much better with choice, consequence, quests, places, dialogue, and characters. I feel like concept and writing departments are definitely the B team, very few memorable characters, **** companions, locations that feel the same apart from Byzantium. The game isn't even funny. In an effort to simplify RPG systems it feels like choice has been abandoned, dialogue doesn't branch you just get skill check gates, different character builds don't feel that different. Doesn't feel like an Obsidian game, sometimes I asked myself whether I'm playing a Bioware game, or a Lionhead game, because that's what it looks and feels like.

It's strange because the original Fallout is my favourite game. Troika games had excellent writing, the most memorable characters and locales. PoE wasn't lacking in that department. Pretty much enjoy every game Tim Cain has been a part of apart from Wildstar. I'm hoping that the very limited budget of The Outer Worlds, combined with an inexperienced writing staff, is what makes this game lacking. Also apparently this game had 9 narrative designers. Doing what? 1 day weeks? Even the voice acting wasn't great, I thought only the stand outs were the voices of Catherine Malin, ADA / Lilya Hagen, and Sanjar Nandi.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:54 PM, ComradeMaster said:

Unfortunately the market for games like PoE is rather small so naturally people will gravitate towards games like ToW due to their streamlined nature.

There's really no other less blunt way to put it, gamers tend to feel comfortable in familiar territory before engaging in complex and nuanced questions such as plot, gameplay, character progression, etc.

having played via both it seems to me that on every single front deadfire is a deeper, greater interesting rpg. the individual advent, stats, capabilities, device, world, companions, your tale selections, fight, literally every rpg part of the sport is better.

It wasn't for me and I really couldn't get into it. I never had that problem with the MechWarrior games until the newest one, even in 3rd person. I dunno what it is, maybe some undiagnosed claustrophobia or something, but I can't take that cramped feeling for very long.

Free games updated 3/4/21

20 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I dropped the game on planet 2 because of the perspective. It doesn't make me sick like it does my wife but I just find it uncomfortable and cramped.

This is exactly it for me as well. Doesn't make me sick, but it is very uncomfortable, constricted, and extremely frustrating and exasperating.

It couldn't be this complicated for you guys, could it?  Making a 3D gameworld with 3D combat takes 6x the dev time (or whatever it is) than a stationary 2D background on a hex grid.  If TOW was isometric with the same budget and dev time there woulda been that many more quests, that many more maps to explore and that much more reactivity in the gameplay.   It's a pick your poison thing when it comes to AA budgets.  If TOW 2 has a AAA budget, dollars to donuts it's gonna be deep as heck.

Also 3D vs. iso is a preference thing when it comes to RPGs.  It's like saying Zork is better than Bard's Tale because you prefer games without pictures.  Well ok.  That's fine.  Cool story.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, ToddHowardsSpiritAnimal said:

It couldn't be this complicated for you guys, could it?  Making a 3D gameworld with 3D combat takes 6x the dev time (or whatever it is) than a stationary 2D background on a hex grid.  If TOW was isometric with the same budget and dev time there woulda been that many more quests, that many more maps to explore and that much more reactivity in the gameplay.   It's a pick your poison thing when it comes to AA budgets.  If TOW 2 has a AAA budget, dollars to donuts it's gonna be deep as heck.

Also 3D vs. iso is a preference thing when it comes to RPGs.  It's like saying Zork is better than Bard's Tale because you prefer games without pictures.  Well ok.  That's fine.  Cool story.

I don't like Deadfire more purely because it's in not in full 3D... I really like KOTOR2, i probably prefer that to Deadfire because it took Star Wars in a really different, unique and interesting direction for once.

Edited by daven

nowt

I ended up enjoying both tremendously.  However, Deafire is clearly superior artistically.  Outer Worlds is a just simply great fun.  In a lot of ways, being able to jump right into a game with campy humor and a *ton* of meaningless but addictive combat has it's own merits.  Still, on balance, I'd take Deadfire any day.  I also believe Deadfire is superior to Pillars One.

• Like 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

• 2 weeks later...

There are a bit different games, and i see how someone may like only 1 of them.

Deadfire had more content (longer or more potencial quests) so that gives a better feeling.

But generally first person action games are more popular.

I do not mind if there will be both types in future.

• 2 weeks later...

it was not that hard, Outer World is ... empty... it have very few choices, they tried to do a space RPG, but they done it probably too quickly.
If I were them, I would focus on ONE game and I will do it correctly, instead of doing several unfinished completely bugged games (for the bugs I don't speak about Outer Worlds)...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...