Politics and world news

Guard Dog

7 hours ago, Volourn said:

"Well, everyone seems pretty content calling the US the good guys "

Kind of missed this delusion's different spin? 'Everyone'? Half of Amerikans hate the US and believe it is the most evil country ever and wuld cheer if it got nuked. LMAO

No not really, it's just way past time for a socio-economic, political, and cultural overhaul that's all.  We've come a long way internally since 1945 but "Official U.S. policy" remains more or less the same.

Edited by ComradeMaster

26 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

0D881C5820C76132EA21FB53F0E9EBB436783E8E

Jesus this administration is a s--t show

Bit of an understatement, that.

xj73abr3s7941.jpg

That's the memorandum in question, guess there's a bit of wiggle room but not a whole lot and it has effectively been instantly countermanded by Esper anyway. You can't really 'respect the decision to order a departure' and also not depart. Some people are claiming it's a draft that was sent accidentally (no signature makes it a credible scenario too), but even that would be somewhere between deeply disfunctional and utterly incompetent.

Edited by Zoraptor

4 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Iran 'threatening' Trump real estate in response is pretty chuckle worthy too.

Hah, clever.  Probably would upset Trump more than them blowing up some soldiers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A smoking crater would be an aesthetic improvement over those hideous hotels.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Finally, proofs that Americans — i.e., the PEOPLE, not just the government — are in fact a very evil people. Polls to confirm the wickedness of how willing Americans (BOTH Democrats and Republicans) are to use nukes:

Edited by ktchong

I know, not so glamoruous as Trumps constant sabre rattling, but Australia is still burning.

Besides Melbourne, Sydney and in particular Canberra suffering under heavy (and dangerous to the health) smoke, the poor Kiwis have gotten their share of the smoke. Not it's the South Americans turn to feel the Aussie heat 🔥

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/07/australian-bushfire-smoke-drifts-to-south-america-un-reports

Oh, and Australia needs to get the maps updated to 2020:

_110422145_firemapanthony.jpg.58feadddb8c58096d2541f2c806966fa.jpg

Edit: 25 people confirmed dead, a number of unknowns. Thousands of homes burnt to the ground and 8.5 million hectares of new ash wastes where there used to be forest (including rain forest) and bush land

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I guess we get to see if that threat of disproportionate response was for real.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 1/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, Guard Dog said:

I stick with my initial prediction. There will be a lot of noise and press and hoopla over this but in the end nothing will come of it. 

Good job, Guard Dog. You really blew it for the rest of us!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

49 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I guess we get to see if that threat of disproportionate response was for real.

am confused. wasn't the espoused rationale for killing soleimani, while he were on iraq soil with knowledge and approval o' iraq govt., "deterring future Iranian attacks"? 

am not an expert on this stuff, but this don't feel much like future iranian attacks being deterred

only thing am certain 'bout is that no matter how bad things get, trump will declare it a victory.

example:

give iranians and isil a gift and pull troops out of iraq? well, that is just trump fulfilling promise to get out of the middle-east, right? 

no matter what happens, somehow it will all be according to the plans o' the stable genius o' trump... and +30% o' voters here in the US will believe such piffle unflinching and unquestioning. if the situation escalates, this isn't the kinda thing right-wing media may reimagine into a positive... but it will. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And now a passenger jet crashed in Iran, doesn't seem anyone knows much at the moment.   Apparently their refusal to hand the black boxes over to Boeing is seen as suspicious, although I would assume that would be standard as manufacturers may have some interest in covering themselves.

Then again not sure if "hand over" is meant as actually doiny so or just involving them in it.

Edited by Malcador

The grounded ones are the MAX series, not the 800 series ;)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Apparently we have achieved "complete energy independence" recently. Well, ain't that nice? 

But, my electric bill was $33.06 last month so I'm pretty close myself.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

You should combine your solar power with a wind turbine.

unfortunately the sound from wind turbines causes cancer.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But... but... the poor little birdies!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

But... but... the poor little birdies!

and they only last ten years and then you need buy a new one from germany or china.

don't forget about the "fumes."

HA! Good Fun!

I feel bad about the Iranians. They acted so tough and look at them now. They killed 35 of their own people on a funeral, but not one enemy soldier with their missiles. They wanted to strike a drone but they hit an Ukrainian passenger airplane with their own people and now have to hide the black box and figure out what to tell to Ukraine. Right now an US citizen have more chances to be shot by Trump on 5th Avenue then by Iranian.

166215__front.jpg

17 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

and they only last ten years and then you need buy a new one from germany or china.

don't forget about the "fumes."

HA! Good Fun!

Of course! It takes a lot of juice to turn that big fan!

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Of course! It takes a lot of juice to turn that big fan!

arguable biggest concern is the 75% property value drop which follow gd erecting a wind turbine on (or near) his homestead.

HA! Good Fun!

In all seriousness if you want energy independence in homes two steps should be taken where applicable.

1. Eliminate the stupid building code that prohibits using DC power exclusively in residential structures. For those who don't know solar panels create DC power that is used to charge a battery string. I have four strings of batteries, 12V each in parallel. Their output goes to an inverter. It's output is connected in parallel to the connection to the public utility. So my house draws off both sources equally. It also means when I'm not using any power at all I'm actually PROVIDING power to the Co Op. It's a (I'll be kind) imperfect system. The every fact that I must convert the power I produce to AC via the inverter means I lose a good deal of it. Between 30-37% by my best calculation. When the house was built I'd have liked to have a separate and switchable DC power system. But... building codes in this state (and most others) do not allow that for multiple (and not good) reasons.
  2. Eliminate the requirement for hazmat license to keep dry cell batteries for residential use. There is not good reason for that either.   

Thomas Sowell