Politics and world news

Guard Dog

I was wondering if they got him with the "flying ginsu" but judging from the wreckage, and the fact that he got 'sploded and had to be identified by his jewelry, I guess it was a plain Jane hellfire missile.

I wonder how long a drone would have to loiter over target to burn a hole in someone with a laser. In mere seconds it should be able to burn through the skull. But atmospheric conditions could increase the time. 🤔

Likely not feasible with current tech. Raytheon built a laser to shoot down drones that was to be mounted on a lightweight buggy, but the demo they released was less than impressive: it took a few seconds of sustained "fire" on a stationary drone to take it out, from closer than a Reaper's typical striking distance. I'd guess if anyone suddenly felt their forehead burning, they wouldn't just stand still and smile.

So hellfires will be around for a bit longer -- even the flying ginsu is more useful than laser-armed drones at this point.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If at first you don't succeed, and the fail the second, the third etc. time, just keep trying.

Some day, Trump will finally get the war against Iran had he so desperately want and need. It sure isn't for lack of trying to throw the US into another war. Life would be simpler he could just be honest for a brief moment in his life,  I need re-election so I need a war very badly, both to unite voters and get pesky democrats off my back!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50996602

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Striking cultural sites- as Trump explicitly just threatened to do- is literally literally a war crime, though for some reason the impartial beeb fails to mention that. And, of course, IranAir 655 had rather more than 52 kidnapped people and they all died while the US awarded Will Rogers III and Scot Lustig medals, so maybe Iran should strike 270 US cultural sites. But one suspects that would be terrorism.

US messaging is all over the place. They seem shocked that they haven't had universal support despite spending most of the past three years burning goodwill, not even bothering to inform allies (presumably because they knew the first thing would be them warning Iran because assassinating Soleimani was just that stupid) and this being a conflict that stems directly from the unilateral withdrawal from the JCPOA which everyone except for Bibi and friends including the US itself agreed Iran was upholding; it's to stop a war happening but every preparation shows that it was to provoke a war and every bit of rhetoric is about how they're going to escalate further. And that's when they aren't going complete alternative facts like Pence claiming Soleimani was involved in 9/11.

The big irony is that Trump won't get impeached, for this, just for having some weapons that Ukraine wasn't going to use turn up a couple of months later than scheduled.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Now... THIS s--t is funny!

81630140_2673751179334687_35304201375742

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

22 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

And now I'm imagining Trump doing his decisions with a blank map... I'm going to sleep very well tonight :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Gotta love how my fellow Iranians outside of the country celebrate Soleimani's death, not realizing what would happen to their fellow Iranians back at home if a war ever started. Some of them are even begging for a war. Guess they didn't learn anything from the 1979 revolution or the civil war in Syria or the war on terror in Iraq since 2003 or the fact that Afghanistan has been at war(on and off) for the past 70 years...

Maybe we deserve this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

1 hour ago, Katphood said:

Gotta love how my fellow Iranians outside of the country celebrate Soleimani's death, not realizing what would happen to their fellow Iranians back at home if a war ever started. Some of them are even begging for a war. Guess they didn't learn anything from the 1979 revolution or the civil war in Syria or the war on terror in Iraq since 2003 or the fact that Afghanistan has been at war(on and off) for the past 70 years...

Maybe we deserve this. 

Glad to see you are OK what with everything going on.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Oh for crying out loud not this s--t again?

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Could-the-strike-on-an-Iranian-general-trigger-a-14950144.php

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/military-draft-selective-service-site-crash-trnd/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/us/military-draft-world-war-3.html

It never fails. No there is not going to be a draft. Unless China or Russia actually declare war. And even there won't be because there won't be anyone left. Conscription is one of the worst things you can do to a military service. 

Every time a Republican (or whatever Trump is) starts some s--t overseas here comes the draft scare. Not because it might happen but to scare 18-25 year olds into voting Democrat. When Obama stuck our nose into Syria, Libya, etc... nada. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Glad to see you are OK what with everything going on.

Thanks, mate. 

From what I've gathered so far, there ain't going to be a war. A lot of people in Iran benefited from Soleimani's death since he refused to sign a deal regarding money laundering. Some high ranking members weep in front of the camera but they are celebrating behind the scenes. Trust me folks, it's all a business deal gone wrong. Maybe his death was just a way for Iran to start renegotiating deals with the west since he didn't allow a lot of things to happen.  I hope all goes well.

• Like 4

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

10 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It cracks me up everytime an American thinking this is hard while most people learn this stuff in primary school.

Well there is a plus this time around. At least the liberal media are not calling Suleimani a hero and saint like the last time Trump offed an international terrorist.

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, Katphood said:

Thanks, mate. 

From what I've gathered so far, there ain't going to be a war. A lot of people in Iran benefited from Soleimani's death since he refused to sign a deal regarding money laundering. Some high ranking members weep in front of the camera but they are celebrating behind the scenes. Trust me folks, it's all a business deal gone wrong. Maybe his death was just a way for Iran to start renegotiating deals with the west since he didn't allow a lot of things to happen.  I hope all goes well.

Yeah I figured there was more behind the scenes than on camera. There will be saber rattling and some folks will get nervous but in the end nothing comes of it.

Thomas Sowell

Hard to ffeel sorry for a killer being killed. The guy bragged about being 'untouchable' and he was always threatening to  destroy the Great Satan. Iran pokes the US because  they felt they could do so without any consequences. Now, they know. That said, as per usual, Trump goes about things in the most off kilter ways. And, as per usual, many who oppose Trump will find anything to attack Trump.

"At least the liberal media are not calling Suleimani a hero and saint "

There were buts though. And. her ein Kanada, a bunch of people got together to mourn him. LMAO Of coruse, others got together to celebrate his death.

Me? I neither mourn or celebrate. Death is not something to celebrate. It is always a waste.. But, he spent his adult life committing murder so  there ya go.

The fact that many Irans are  kind of happy he's dead is telling. Of course, I guarantee you if Trump was assassinated half the country would cheer but these are the same people who sad that someone who targets Amerikans for death was killed. Trump's job as President is to protect Amerikans which includes doling out consequences for those who'd target Amerikans. he did his job. That said, there will be consequences. Iran can't take this and shrug it off.

As for 'starting a war'. L0L The US and Iran have been at war for decades.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

According to Iraq's prime minister Suleimani was in Iraq because he was delivering Iran's response to Saudi Arabia as part of mediation efforts by Iraq. And Iraq started mediation in direct request from Donald Trump. So it seems that USA orchestrated trap for Suleimani in disguise of peace/de-escalation talks.

I am sure that this will make peace talks in Middle East so much easier, especially if USA is involved

There is no peace in the Middle East. Never will be as long as the Sunnis, Shias, and Isreal exist.

P.S. If the US did, in fact, set a trap by asking for this mediation and it was the goal along, that is extremely douchebaggy, and evil. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

the draft scare

I find it rather perplexing that in a culture where the armed services are held in such high esteem, and where even rear echelon service is widely seen as prestigious, the possibility of a draft can cause a "scare". One would think people would be honored to be asked to die for their country, no?

Heh.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

58 minutes ago, Elerond said:

According to Iraq's prime minister Suleimani was in Iraq because he was delivering Iran's response to Saudi Arabia as part of mediation efforts by Iraq. And Iraq started mediation in direct request from Donald Trump. So it seems that USA orchestrated trap for Suleimani in disguise of peace/de-escalation talks.

I am sure that this will make peace talks in Middle East so much easier, especially if USA is involved

It seems very plausible that Iran sent their most ferocious rabid dog to deliver peace and mediation. Who believes in such nonsense?

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

I find it rather perplexing that in a culture where the armed services are held in such high esteem, and where even rear echelon service is widely seen as prestigious, the possibility of a draft can cause a "scare". One would think people would be honored to be asked to die for their country, no?

Heh.

Easier to put a yellow ribbon on.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Heh.

The US military really does not have a lot of trouble meeting it's recruiting goals. They offer some really nice incentives. But it is NOT for everyone. In fact at times it can be a real bitch. And it can be dangerous. If people decide the cons outweigh the pros who can blame them if they do something else. But this draft business if blatant political fear mongering aimed at those people. It is no different that Trump and his ilk stirring up fear of immigrants. 

I hate if for two reasons. First off it is literally slavery. Just because it's not forever does not make it not slavery. Second it is the equivalent of sabotaging the military. Life in the service is not easy. You have to want to be there. A demoralized force is not one that will perform well.   

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell