Politics and world news

Guard Dog

Australia is still burning

Yeah... 🔥  🇦🇺 🔥  = 🥵 

Tens of thousands of people being evacuated. This is going to be a long, hot summer

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50938504

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

Here is another one:

Hide contents

DuQGDnPVsAAyaEI.jpg

mine is newer

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

If you are standing on a ladder or platform and get popped with enough of a DC charge it knocks you off that is pretty much the only way I can think of DC killing someone. It does not clench the muscles like AC. As an aside the worst shock I ever received was 1KV DC. Almost no current though. I was working on a radar transmitter. It was a TSQ-107B. It used a capacitive pulse forming network to drive the magnetron. I was replacing that PFN that day and had shut it off and discharged it through the magnetron grid. Well, still being new to electronics I had never heard of the flywheel effect and it's action in capacitive circuits. in the time it took me to pick up a wrench that PFN had recharged itself. Let's say that was a lesson I'll never forget. 

DC continuously going through the hands will cause the heart to stand still, a DC charge will clench the muscles aswell, it's just that if you're unlucky you will clench on to whatever the source is instead of jolting away. It's less dangerous, but still lethal if you're unlucky.

I've been lucky, besides handling electrified fencing and shocking myself to make sure it was was working. I did get a lightning strike through a power outlet when I was young though, lower back through my right heel into a radiator. No real damage done though, not even a scar :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Always hated people referring to us by the name of our worst two provinces. 

if it makes you feel better, we think o' the beach boys underrated album when we hear "holland." 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Always hated people referring to us by the name of our worst two provinces. 

TN  you cant be serious, there is nothing wrong with your country being referred to as Holland? Remember people and particularly tourists place great credence in symbolism and for many people Netherlands is a.....complicated name

Also the article says " The change of image was part of a renewed tourism strategy that aims to put an end to large numbers of visitors on cheap flights, particularly to Amsterdam, and promote more sustainable and respectful travel "...what do they mean by respectful travel? Many tourists only visit Netherlands for the liberal and open culture. The red light districts and cannabis culture is what we want to experience...you guys mustn't throw the " baby out with the bath water " in a well meaning but misguided attempt to change perceptions that frankly dont need to be changed for majority of tourists

For example how would you market Netherlands outside of what I mentioned ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Gorth said:

Australia is still burning

Yeah... 🔥  🇦🇺🔥  = 🥵 

Tens of thousands of people being evacuated. This is going to be a long, hot summer

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50938504

I should have mentioned this earlier but the scope and scale of these  fires are really concerning and much more serious than most people outside of Oz realize, I have family members and friends who immigrated to Australia and they have been updating us to the reality on the ground

I see they have been ravaging parts of the country since September. I also agree with banning the fireworks over NY purely as an symbolic gesture in sympathy of what the country is going through but not from the financial cost of the NY celebration.  And finally I am glad the fire fighters are getting extra money for there herculean efforts 

My thoughts are with you  🔥

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

TN  you cant be serious, there is nothing wrong with your country being referred to as Holland? Remember people and particularly tourists place great credence in symbolism and for many people Netherlands is a.....complicated name

Also the article says " The change of image was part of a renewed tourism strategy that aims to put an end to large numbers of visitors on cheap flights, particularly to Amsterdam, and promote more sustainable and respectful travel "...what do they mean by respectful travel? Many tourists only visit Netherlands for the liberal and open culture. The red light districts and cannabis culture is what we want to experience...you guys mustn't throw the " baby out with the bath water " in a well meaning but misguided attempt to change perceptions that frankly dont need to be changed for majority of tourists

For example how would you market Netherlands outside of what I mentioned ?

Yeah no, they visit Amsterdam for that. That's the only place that really promotes itself with the red light districts and "coffee shops", and most tourists literally don't know Amsterdam is in or even connected to the Netherlands, or "Holland". Believe me, I worked retail in Amsterdam for 6 months. Their flights and tours and travel packets are marketed as trips to "Amsterdam" full stop. Half don't even know they're in Europe. 

As for my problem with it, it has nothing to do with my views on tourism. Holland is only the name of two provinces, North and South Holland. These two provinces? Well, lets just say calling Dutch people "Hollanders" is comparable to calling every American "Florida Man".

• Like 1

Yeah, but Dutch doesn't really connect to Netherlands in any phonemic sense. I mean, we could call you Nethers, but that sounds a bit below the belt.

edit: Found this interesting while researching this terrible joke I was making: https://www.dictionary.com/e/demonym/

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 8:14 PM, 213374U said:

Ah, the simple joys of loincloths, chainmail bikinis and fixing society's problems by putting mother****ers in the Wheel of Pain.

Sounds like some libertarian's dream.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like some libertarian's dream.

Only if it's for employees.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Yeah no, they visit Amsterdam for that. That's the only place that really promotes itself with the red light districts and "coffee shops", and most tourists literally don't know Amsterdam is in or even connected to the Netherlands, or "Holland". Believe me, I worked retail in Amsterdam for 6 months. Their flights and tours and travel packets are marketed as trips to "Amsterdam" full stop. Half don't even know they're in Europe. 

God I really hope most of these tourists you're referring to aren't Americans.  I'm trying to be optimistic for my country but familiar stuff like this near kills it!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

As for my problem with it, it has nothing to do with my views on tourism. Holland is only the name of two provinces, North and South Holland. These two provinces? Well, lets just say calling Dutch people "Hollanders" is comparable to calling every American "Florida Man".

Heh, my friend tried to get me to go to Amsterdam today, for the red light districts and coffee shops. I turned him down though, I'd blow through several months savings in a single evening. >_<

Well, when I say 'I' would blow through...

• Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm sure somewhere on the internet, there's an explanation for the word 'Dutch'. But it (the land of the Dutch speaking people) isn't called 'Dutchland'. Which is probably just as well, or they would get confused with Deutschland all the time 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, Raithe said:

Ho-hum....

25591877_1471209749644604_60790010292044

:lol: Actually it was illegal immigration that  did them in. All the rest of that just made it impossible to stop.

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

:lol: Actually it was illegal immigration that  did them in. All the rest of that just made it impossible to stop.

there were many reasons (none of it was lead poisoning tho) but funny part is that collapse of Roman empire ended up with creation of bunch of nation 'states' (kingdoms) :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4000 people suddenly thought, that going swimming at the beach was an awesome idea... 🏖️

(that or getting burnt alive)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50952253

Edit: Another firefighter died... the storms generated by the fire were so strong that their 10 tonne fire truck flipped over and hit several fire fighters :(

Edit2:  Stolen from the link, where it's currently burning. An estimated 4 million hectares burnt up during the second half of 2019 alone.

TEcwJGc.png

Canadian firefighters (or 'Kanadian' depending on who you ask) pitching in with a helping hand

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-firefighters-australia-wildfires-1.5410727

After hitting 40C+ degrees in every state, fire conditions are expected to worsen. For our American readers, that's the equivalent of every state from Oregon to Florida hitting 104F+ degrees at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was always curious to me as to why the universe does not have any other intelligent life.  The odds are the universe should have other intelligence lives that are capable of spacefaring and contacting us.

Now, it makes perfect sense.  No other intelligence life was ever able to survive into the spacefaring age.  They all went extinct for the same reason(s) we are going extinct.  So, I already know how all this will end: I don't think we are gonna make it, because it is egoistical to think that we are any more special than all the other intelligent lives that had reached our stage of development (and the odds are plenty of other intelligent lives have reached our stage) and then gone extinct.

Edited by ktchong

4 minutes ago, ktchong said:

It was always curious to me as to why the universe does not have any other intelligent life.  The odds are the universe should have other intelligence lives that are capable of spacefaring and contacting us.

Now, it makes perfect sense.  No other intelligence life was ever able to survive into the spacefaring age.  They all went extinct for the same reason(s) we are going extinct.

or, faster than light travel is genuine prohibited by physics as we understand and the galaxy is a whole lot bigger than most o' us is capable o' comprehending.  forget the universe... is no earth transmission ever gonna reach another galaxy in your lifetime, or even your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great kid's lifetime. if there were ten people on earth, total, would not be a shock if they never bumped into each other, yes? assume the ten is limited to travel on foot per day and no radio. wouldn't shock if the ten persons never saw signs o' other human life, yes?  galaxy is a whole lot bigger than earth relative to entire galaxy in our drake equation example. ten solar systems in the galaxy?

we, as a civilization, has been sending out radio messages for a relative short period o' time, and the likelihood o' those transmissions having reached another inhabited spacefaring civilization in our galaxy is kinda remote even if we is optimistic using the drake equation. have even a million space faring civilizations in the galaxy that cannot practical travel much beyond their own solar system? we act surprised we ain't never heard from one? surprise is 'cause we do not comprehend just how vast the galaxy is.

tv and movie ftl travel messes up pov when it comes to plausibility o' there being many space faring civilizations we never manage to hear from... evar.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Canadian firefighters (or 'Kanadian' depending on who you ask) pitching in with a helping hand

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-firefighters-australia-wildfires-1.5410727

After hitting 40C+ degrees in every state, fire conditions are expected to worsen. For our American readers, that's the equivalent of every state from Oregon to Florida hitting 104F+ degrees at the same time.

The sky is orange here, and we're 1500km of sea and a decent sized mountain range away. They've had to add a new 'fire haze' graphic to the weather forecasts.

Might possibly be a good idea to start paying those 'volunteer' firefighters who've been working non stop for months, eh Mr Morrison?

47 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Might possibly be a good idea to start paying those 'volunteer' firefighters who've been working non stop for months, eh Mr Morrison?

Morrison is an utter and complete ****. When **** really hit the fan, he decided it was a good idea to skip country and run away overseas. Tried to weasel his way out of managing a crisis, partly of his own making, until the majority of the press called him out on it.

Hey guys do you remember the dreadful phrase of early 2019 that was so despicable that only alt-right and Nazis use to harass poor journalists and it will get you banned on Twitter if you ever use it (except for Jack Dorsey, he can)?

I'm talking of course about the phrase "Learn to C*de".

Well, the Democratic lead runner thought that he will bring the phrase to the right track again, which would be harassing those pesky coal miners:

https://www.mining.com/joe-biden-tells-coal-miners-to-learn-to-code/

I'm seriously starting to worry first time in this election cycle that Donald Trump might not be reelected giving the Democrats winning message.

166215__front.jpg