Politics and world news

Guard Dog

3 hours ago, 213374U said:

Ah, the simple joys of loincloths, chainmail bikinis and fixing society's problems by putting mother****ers in the Wheel of Pain.

robert e. howard woulda' been dismissive o' chainmail bikinis. howard's red sonya were a non fantasy character who wielded sword and pistols during a time when suleiman i were active... mid 16th century? one o' the many reasons to regret howard's suicide is acknowledgement the red sonya character were introduced in a side-story short before his death, and she were kinda fantastic. howard's death meant we only got a single sonya story, and she weren't even the main character in the tale.

red sonja, the character who made the chainmail bikini popular, were a marvel comic book character. even red sonja didn't start out with a chainmail bikini, but a bit o' promotional artwork depicting her clad so were popular beyond expectations, resulting in a new default character design, and an enduring comic book and fantasy art trope. 

wheel o' pain sorta stuff, on the other hand, is the invention o movie conan, which is owing little to comic book conan and arguable a bit more to howard's pulp fiction and novel (singular) conan, though perhaps to a cartoony degree. howard did indeed makes his conan an übermensch prototype, and there were nihilist philosophy being advocated in conan stories, but movie conan eschewed any pretense o' subtlety and made the nietzsche elements focal. 

riddle o' steel is a movie invention. nowhere to be found in howard.

all o' which ignores fact the only reason we went through this exercise is 'cause it gave us an excuse to use a link which included mako narration and the riddle o' steel intro from conan the barbarian (1982.)

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As an aside here's a Twitter account that is as criminally unrecognised as Black Metal Cats:

I give you Conan the Salaryman.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

all o' which ignores fact the only reason we went through this exercise is 'cause it gave us an excuse to use a link which included mako narration and the riddle o' steel intro from conan the barbarian (1982.)

Works for me. I didn't know or remember that Basil Poledouris had composed the score, so that's a plus too.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Works for me. I didn't know or remember that Basil Poledouris had composed the score, so that's a plus too.

basil is not going og with the do-rag in the link. had cancer at the time. video is from july 22, 2006. basil poledouris dies on november 8, 2006. 

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"There's literally nothing wrong with being environmentally conscience and producing conservation sectors that help preserve nature.  It's not only better for the plantet but better for humans as well. "

You can spam about the environment and the planet all you want... the planet and environment don't need your help. The ego of humans.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

44 minutes ago, Volourn said:

"There's literally nothing wrong with being environmentally conscience and producing conservation sectors that help preserve nature.  It's not only better for the plantet but better for humans as well. "

You can spam about the environment and the planet all you want... the planet and environment don't need your help. The ego of humans.

I think it's safe to say that humans are a small part of nature sure, but we do have the intelligence and the know-how to make it better so why not utilize our energies to create a richer and safer environment for ALL living beings? 

80873908_2677928189160311_47357263274982

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Volourn said:

The planet itself isn't going to blow up like Alderaan or whatever your argument was but the environment is something that we can and do have a massive impact on.

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I don't live "there"...

It's a meme! You chuckle at it and move on. Or get triggered by it and move on. It is not meant to apply to everyone in every situation. It's just meant to get a laugh. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of environmental stuff.  Did you know in TN is is illegal to have a fixed home powered entirely by DC power? WTF do they care? It's not safety. You cannot be electrocuted by DC no matter the voltage potential. Meanwhile just 0.5A of 120V AC from hand to hand can kill you dead.  It's also illegal to have a home without indoor plumbing if the home is greater than 410 sq'. Why the odd number? Damned if I know.  Now, here is the thing. In West Tennessee water and power are provided by co-ops that are controlled by the County and State governments. So... they provide a service then pass a law to ensure that service can only be purchased from them, THEN pass more laws saying we MUST HAVE that service to get a home to pass building codes. But, i guess it's not an evil monopoly when government does it huh?

I bring this up because I am looking at building a small house on my property upstate on Indian Creek. I was planning on using a mixed DC power/ LP system with a max capacity of no more than 15A. The actual demand would only be 2/3 of that. There would be no AC service on the property. It's expensive. It would obligate me to secure a right-of-way onto the property through other plots I do not own. It would also require me to do a lot of tree cutting. not doing any of that trash. Plumbing service is impossible. There just is none and I'm disinclined to install a septic system. In fact I was planning on drilling the well myself and using a mechanical hand pump to draw the water. As far as environmentally friendly goes this house will be as green as it gets. But the irony is the state government, which preaches the "Keep Tennessee Green" campaign, actually stands in the way of doing the every thing they say they want you to do. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

The planet itself isn't going to blow up like Alderaan or whatever

It will, though. In ~5bn years, when its orbit is inside the Sun's radius after it goes red giant.

One could make an argument that by preventing societal collapse, among other things by mitigating climate change, we are working towards becoming a Kardashev-II civilization that will be in a position to prevent Earth from taking a hot plasma bath...

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

He's probably right though. 'Human nature'- which would likely apply to any intelligent species in a similar way- in the form of competition and selfishness drives societal and technological development, but it also ensures there will not be a unified response to problems that effect everyone no matter how pressing because no one wants to give up a competitive advantage.

You know how this will work anyway. The next day after we get the greenhouse gasses in check and all a giant asteroid will crash into the earth and that will be all she wrote. It's just our luck.

Thomas Sowell

Human race has been pretty lucky, all in all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Meanwhile just 0.5A of 120V AC from hand to hand can kill you dead.

Nitpicking here, but 0.1A AC will kill you hand to hand, you're more likely to survive at 0.5A because the heart clamps and stops while the lower current will cause your heart to go into ventricular fibrillation.

Also, while nitpicking, DC is quite capable of killing you aswell.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

the earth is your mother

the earth has provided everything you need, but she is indifferent to your suffering. dinosaurs were 'round for tens o' millions o' years. by comparison, humans have existed maybe a couple hundred thousand years. dinosaurs, for all their dominance, were a momentary and insignificant blip in the lifespan o' the earth. poof. gone. wooly mammoths? they were 'round twice as long as humans and the last o' em died out a mere 4k years removed from today. 

am thinking it is kinda obvious when persons speak o' saving the planet, they ain't talking 'bout the relative smallish water covered ball o rock hurtling 'bout the sun so much as speaking o' the conditions which make human life possible on that dust mote, floating in space, far from the center o' the milky way galaxy. 

am thinking the earth is universal indifferent, but considering how uncompromising lethal she has been throughout the millennia to her children, anthropomorphising would have us casting faye dunaway in the role o' earth as inspired by her mommie dearest performance.

as to human nature. well, humans is marvelous at addressing problems both on scales small and large. is kinda the definition o' intelligence, no? humans is problem solvers unparalleled in nature. unfortunate, humans is little more than a few millenia removed from being spooked by fire. fight or flight instincts is how  skittish primates evolved, so extreme long-term problems, such as climate change, do not result in similar activity and response. to be convinced a problem is real enough to act, many people need the emotional response which comes with fight or flight. see your house on fire and either try to douse the flames or you flee from it. real fear and threat is tangible. see a 2 degree temp change will doom grandchildren and perhaps children? is a far worse scenario than your house on fire, but is no cold-sweat and ice in your vein fear accompanying such a threat. stoopid apes. hardwired wrong for this kinda problem.

is perhaps ironic, but religion, often accused o' being the opposite or victim o' science, has been the one human institution and drive which has repeated and consistent transcended short-term thinking. for example, notre dame and other great cathedrals took generations to complete, but humans toiled away for the greater glory o' god and for the salvation o' their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren. the designers and builders and financiers o' such projects knew they would be long dead before completion, but they nevertheless strove to achieve a goal remote and enigmatic.

maybe greta needs to start a church.

HA! Good Fun!

Bye bye Holland.  It has been some interesting times. It was nice knowing you 👋

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/holland-no-more-dutch-government-officially-drops-nickname-20191227-p53n2p.html

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

25 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Bye bye Holland.  It has been some interesting times. It was nice knowing you 👋

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/holland-no-more-dutch-government-officially-drops-nickname-20191227-p53n2p.html

well good for holland if they figured a way to transform a mere $320k into a scheme which is able to erase from memories something which has existed for many generations. quite the trick if they can pull it off. 

here is hoping the dutch is more successful with their rebranding than the US has been with "freedom gas." 

*insert eyeroll here*

as for the following:

HA! Good Fun!

ps

a few days past, we bought prunes. we like prunes. we cook with prunes. the thing is, the packaging for the prunes only mentioned "prunes" in anemic little letters. instead, the prunes were being sold as "dried plums."

noticed the change maybe in 2016 or so, and everytime we see repeated it makes us chuckle. recognition there has been an effort to rebrand punes as dried plumes is, in our estimation, silly. nevertheless, people were no doubt promoted for coming up with the idea, and packaging and advertising on an industry-wide scale were adjusted to accommodate the change. is there a kinda critical mass o' purchasers who would buy dried plums but forgo prunes to be making the effort valid? truly?

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I'm going to call them Holland even harder now.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Nitpicking here, but 0.1A AC will kill you hand to hand, you're more likely to survive at 0.5A because the heart clamps and stops while the lower current will cause your heart to go into ventricular fibrillation.

Also, while nitpicking, DC is quite capable of killing you aswell.

If you are standing on a ladder or platform and get popped with enough of a DC charge it knocks you off that is pretty much the only way I can think of DC killing someone. It does not clench the muscles like AC. As an aside the worst shock I ever received was 1KV DC. Almost no current though. I was working on a radar transmitter. It was a TSQ-107B. It used a capacitive pulse forming network to drive the magnetron. I was replacing that PFN that day and had shut it off and discharged it through the magnetron grid. Well, still being new to electronics I had never heard of the flywheel effect and it's action in capacitive circuits. in the time it took me to pick up a wrench that PFN had recharged itself. Let's say that was a lesson I'll never forget. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

13 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's a meme! You chuckle at it and move on. Or get triggered by it and move on. It is not meant to apply to everyone in every situation. It's just meant to get a laugh. 

Here is another one:

Spoiler

DuQGDnPVsAAyaEI.jpg

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."