Chanter not starting with max Phrases in Turn Based

WilliamAbbott

Question

Not sure if this is an actual bug or an intended feature since the game doesn't really explain these things.  However on my normal Chanter with no subclass I always start combat with enough Phrases to cast my strongest ability on turn 1.  However if I play as a Troubadour or a Beckoner my spells cost an additional Phrase to cast and the UI shows my max Phrases are 4 but I only start combat with 3 forcing me to wait a turn before I can utilize my strongest summon.  This kind of awkwardly alleviates itself as you level since once you reach level 3 you will suddenly start combat with 4 Phrases and be able to cast your Rank 1 spell on the first turn.  But this issue continues onward as when you get the Ogre summon you again will only have 4 Phrases at the start of your turn despite the spell costing 5 and your UI showing you as being 4/5 Phrases.  

To my knowledge from looking around online Chanters are supposed to start turn 1 with max Phrases which is why I feel like this is a bug since it makes playing a Chanter inconsistent and awkward when you are hitting new power levels despite most classes feeling more powerful.  This becomes more of an issue as you reach max level since summoning the Dragon for example becomes impossible to summon on turn 1 since you never start with enough Phrases which makes the summon feel more tedious to use then just summoning the Armaments turn 1.  

2 answers to this question

This isn't turn-based specific and has been the case since day one. You start with enough phrases to cast your most expensive invocation ignoring the effects of subclass changes. So what you start with is not even based on your level, if all you do is have one AL1 invocation, you'll never ever ever have more than 3 phrases to start (and you'll never accumulate more than 4 and only if you have a subclass that increases the cost of that invocation by 1).

Hmm okay well I appreciate your reply.  I feel like I must have some other bug then because that definitely isn't consistent in my game.  For example when I start the game as a Level 1 Troubadour I start the fight with 3 Phrases.  However as soon as I level up and learn the "Gernisc Slew the Beast but Soon Faced its Kin" summon I start combat with 4 Phrases and am able to summon them turn 1 despite their base cost still being 3 Phrases.  Once I learned "Oh, But Knock Not on the Door of Urdel and Gurdel" I still started battle with only 4 Phrases being unable to summon them at the start of battle but as soon as I gained level 8 despite not learning any spell with more than a 4 Phrase base cost I started battle with 5 Phrases and could now summon the ogres.  This is why I believed it was based on levels.  

Similarly on my first Troubadour when I leveled it normally to unlock "The Great Wyrm Flew O'er the Mountains" I would start every fight with only 7 Phrases and could never cast it turn 1 at any point in my game.  However, when I started a fresh game and used the console to start at level 20 I began every fight thereafter with 8 Phrases and was able to summon it on the 1st turn. 

If it indeed is supposed to work as you say then I would be fine with that since then I have a set factor to work around, however that has not been a consistent aspect of my game so it still leads me to believe that for better or worse I was experiencing some kind of bug.  I did manage to finish that playthrough though so for now I'll probably just stick to other classes.  Thanks again for your reply!