Anyone else feel disappointed?

*sigh* I just watched the game awards and Disco Elysium got two awards and tons of attention. I watched the Xbox game show and saw Wasteland 3 getting tons of attention. Does anyone else feel disappointed with how these and other cRPGs are getting all of this attention, yet such a master at the genre - Obsidian - isn't showing anything?

Erhmm... well, uh, there's Grounded, of course... 😅

I feel like Obsidian could stomp the competition straight into the dirt, especially in what seems to be a significant reemergence and spotlight on the genre.

Edited by Jill7894

The Outer Worlds was nominated for four game awards 2019. That is hardly "not showing anything". Too bad it didn't win any of those, but the competition was tough. Still: getting nominated in four different categories is an achievement in itself.

Are you implying that The Outer Worlds didn't get attention? 

Grounded isn't out yet so it doesn't factor in. It's also not really an RPG as far as I can tell. Besides that we don't know which other Obsidian games might get released in 2020.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wait... don't you stomp with your feet? So to connect your writing and programming skills to stomping one would have to write and program with their feet? How does one write and program with their feet? Seriously this doesn't make any sense I simply can't... oh wait:

510lf8ZnN6L.jpg

Edited by Boeroer
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 3x0du5 said:

Obsidian lacks talent in both writing and programming to stomp anyone. 

I can conceivably understand the "writing" part, although I do not agree, but how do you justify the "programming" part?

Can you please name three companies and three titles that are superior to PoE and Deadfire in writing. I would be very interested in playing them.

• Like 4

He could justify the programming part if he decompiled the code and had a look at it - while being a better programmer himself. 

Do I think that even one of those assumptions may be true?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Boeroer
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Can you please name three companies and three titles that are superior to PoE and Deadfire in writing. I would be very interested in playing them.

To be fair, ZA/UM would probably be one of them and I wouldn't disagree. But yeah, Obsidian's way ahead of the curve in this regard, compared to most.

• Thanks 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

14 hours ago, 3x0du5 said:

Obsidian lacks talent in both writing and programming to stomp anyone. 

I really don't know what RPG you could've played lately that has better writing and world-building than POE. And don't say dos, lol, their writing and world-building is a joke. The game itself is elementary and casualized to the point anyone can play it and win.

Edited by Jill7894
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, algroth said:

To be fair, ZA/UM would probably be one of them and I wouldn't disagree. But yeah, Obsidian's way ahead of the curve in this regard, compared to most.

This was the first time I heard of this game (meaning Disco Elysium). Thank you very much for the tip, it is greatly appreciated! As I said, "I would be very interested in playing them", and upon first sight, the game does look like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. I'll have a proper look later this weekend -- and I'm hoping it'll end in a purchase.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the programming part I think he likely means gameplay. As for the writing I found it a bit too corny for my tastes - it's almost as if the writers are under the impression that the more adjectives you add to a sentence, the better it will turn out. Personally I enjoyed P:K's russian-translated writing much more. Deadfire's worldbuilding (in the strict, aesthetics sense) on the other hand, imo, is superb.

As for Disco Elysium - it's a masterpiece in its category so no surprise there.

Edited by Bleak

2 hours ago, Bleak said:

As for Disco Elysium - it's a masterpiece in its category so no surprise there.

I'm an Obsidian fan since back when they were Black Isle and put Deadfire as my top cRPG ever and one of my top games ever, but Disco Elysium completely earns its awards. I started playing it off a sale on dec 31st, 2019, and even after just 40 minutes of playing in 2019 it I was already ready to put in my top 5 games of the 2010s. Having played it all now, the gameplay has its problems (downgrading it to merely being top ten of the decade), but the writing is really a masterclass. Outer Worlds just doesn't come close, sorry.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:12 AM, Jill7894 said:

I feel like Obsidian could stomp the competition straight into the dirt, especially in what seems to be a significant reemergence and spotlight on the genre.

Hm. Their games have always had more niche appeal than broad, general gamer audience appeal -- the exceptions being Fallout: New Vegas and now The Outer Worlds -- so idk about their stomping potential...

Also, The Outer Worlds came out just a few months ago and has, from all accounts, been a huge success for them so I don't really understand your disappointment. Unless what you are really trying to say is that you were hoping for a bigger announcement than Grounded?

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

On 1/8/2020 at 12:08 AM, thelee said:

I'm an Obsidian fan since back when they were Black Isle and put Deadfire as my top cRPG ever and one of my top games ever, but Disco Elysium completely earns its awards. I started playing it off a sale on dec 31st, 2019, and even after just 40 minutes of playing in 2019 it I was already ready to put in my top 5 games of the 2010s. Having played it all now, the gameplay has its problems (downgrading it to merely being top ten of the decade), but the writing is really a masterclass. Outer Worlds just doesn't come close, sorry.

I haven't finished it yet, but there was a definite spot where I felt the game contained a fairly big problem/mistake. This involves a check in which you *have* to succeed, otherwise the story doesn't continue. But I had to resort to the internet to find out that succeeding in this check was, indeed, the only way forward. I felt the game didn't spell that out in near enough detail for me.

I trust you know what I'm talking about. Do you have an opinion on this?

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

I haven't finished it yet, but there was a definite spot where I felt the game contained a fairly big problem/mistake. This involves a check in which you *have* to succeed, otherwise the story doesn't continue. But I had to resort to the internet to find out that succeeding in this check was, indeed, the only way forward. I felt the game didn't spell that out in near enough detail for me.

I trust you know what I'm talking about. Do you have an opinion on this?

that's the reason why i bumped it out of my top five. it seems like a really obvious design oversight, given how much scaffolding and flexibility there is everywhere else.

• Like 1

I'm still disappointed at the lack of sea monster battles in Deadfire, but I can't be terribly disappointed that Grounded isn't getting much attention or that Outer Worlds (which I haven't played yet) didn't win one of its four awards.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands