The Next Mass Effect?

Keep up the great work Obsidian!  youll become the new golden child of game studios like cd project red.  at least until you become corrupt like every other game company...  But hey!!  thats like 5-10 years away!  imagine all the fans you'll gather before that happens.  Think about all the people you'll make happy!  Hey!  Add aliens for an expansion or game 2!  This game can seriously become the next Mass Effect!  While playing i was missing all the alien friends i made in Mass Effect 2.  Miss you Garus!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daven said:

Other than being vaguely sci fi, it's nothing like Mass Effect. Strange comparison. 

I saw the comparison made in several reviews before I bought the game so I can see where Biff got it from.  After playing through it multiple times I agree that the comparisons are tenuous, I think the dialogue and skill system are handled better then Mass Effect series.  I would of liked a companion control system similar to ME implemented in TOW however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, daven said:

Other than being vaguely sci fi, it's nothing like Mass Effect. Strange comparison. 

Makes a bit of sense. OW reminded me a lot of early Bioware titles (more so, then Obsidian’s previous games). Not Mass Effect, as by that point presentation and RPG elements where greatly reduced in favour of presentation, which OW doesn’t have, but some similarities are there. 

the question is, whenever a sequel with bigger budget means deeper game, or shinier presentation. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think there are things like companions controls and ethical decisions to take from Mass effect but I wouldn't want them to try and make it the next Mass Effect.  That is always available to play if you want to so no reason to try and mirror that universe.  I could see room for sentient alien life in the Outer World universe but humanity could also supply enough content to carry the story along.  If they introduce alien life on a wider scale that made sense in the logic of this universe I wouldn't have a problem with it but if it is added just because the story would be happening in space on other planets I would be less pleased with that direction.

There are many elements similar to Mass Effect. Colonization, selection of a crew with loyalty missions, even the dates and a certain silence. 

However, when I finished TOW, my immediate, visceral reaction was “Thank goodness I’m done. Never again!”

Why?

My biggest issue was the small size of fonts in the endless amount of junk we had to read. Never before have I physically gotten tired of playing a video game. I finally had to keep zooming in with my TV remote to read stuff, most of which turned out to be useless and boring . 

An English teacher friend of mine once wisely said “a mediocre story tells; a great story shows.” This was a mediocre story. 

I went back and replayed Mass Effect 1 and it was so great! I cared about the characters, it was challenging, it wasFUN,!!!

TOW was addictive but not fun. 

So now I’m playing Mass Effect 2 and loving it. 

I probably won’t replay TOW. 

22 hours ago, ProfZoe said:

There are many elements similar to Mass Effect. Colonization, selection of a crew with loyalty missions, even the dates and a certain silence. 

However, when I finished TOW, my immediate, visceral reaction was “Thank goodness I’m done. Never again!”

Why?

My biggest issue was the small size of fonts in the endless amount of junk we had to read. Never before have I physically gotten tired of playing a video game. I finally had to keep zooming in with my TV remote to read stuff, most of which turned out to be useless and boring . 

An English teacher friend of mine once wisely said “a mediocre story tells; a great story shows.” This was a mediocre story. 

I went back and replayed Mass Effect 1 and it was so great! I cared about the characters, it was challenging, it wasFUN,!!!

the reading was torture

but get used to it after so many hours of paradox games

the first person exploration are much more exhausting to the eye

23 hours ago, ProfZoe said:

Why?

I understand where you are coming from and this issue for consoles should of definitely been caught in Q&A or at least handled in the first patch.  The interesting thing is this issue only really effect console players who view things on a display several feet away.  On PC I never had an issue in fact I didn't even realize there was an issue until I saw the complaints on the forums.  There have been so many games I have played on PC that where modified to fit a console crowd that are so restrictive for PC so it is interesting to see it reversed so people on console complain about design decisions that work better on the PC.

I understand sentiment to ME2. In fact that was a game which executed very well a formula of grab N map fragments and then kill dragon, and also collect bunch of badass companions.

However games could be different, and some aspects are not even that important.

TOW tried much better to be replayable with being Council or Freedom man.

Renegate/Paragon dilema was artificial, 6 aspect or "we do not judge" aproach to morality are better.

Aliens in ME2 wasnt that important, since most of them ware humanoids. Only rachni queen was somehow special.

Space magic is nice and fun, but not required, special attacs or some technology could mimic that.

ME2 wasnt exacly great when it comes to stealth or different skills.

ME2 missions ware very shooter like (sometimes), not really open world crpg.

There is a choice of having less companions but deeper interaction.

So it is not like you need to repeat old formula.

Edited by evilcat

Why, definitely too much Mass Effect, yes.

I already find the quite microscopic control you have over your party in SWKotOR very annoying, but The Outer Worlds is only even worse.

Basically you watch your party dying all the time and then you have to finish solo.