Painful to Relevel Wizards

I just realized that my designated Mechanic who is Aloth I accidentally allocated enough points to raise his athletics 3.  So 3 in the base.  That I tracked down in my save games files to level 9 and now I'm level 12!  And it's catching up with me in that in Durgan's Battery he can't open the door.

I hit the problem that to relevel him I lose all of his wizard spellbook!!  I don't mind restarting just to "do it all again with my improved knowledge" but I thought to post to see if there is a better way to relevel wizards so they don't lose their spell picks or have to pay for them again if they saved the Grimoir'es they picked up?

Thanks!

You are looking at it in the wrong way. Actually retraining your wizard lets you gain a lot more spells than before. And it only costs you money.

Here's how you do it: lean all spells from grimoires which you didn't already learn. This will cost some bucks. If you already did that: even bettere. Now you take some random grimoires and write all the spells you have learned into those. I guess you missed that this is possible? You can simply write your learned spells into any grimoire you find (replacing the original spells in it). Unique spells (like Ninagauth's Shadowflame and such) that you learned from unique grimoires don't need to be written down - you'll never forget them. Ok, now you have written down you current learned spells into some grimoires. 

Hit retrain.

Hush! Don't level up! :)

First learn all the spell you wrote into your books gain - that might be a bit expensive, but trust me: it's worth it.

Now level up!

You will only be presented with the spells you don't already know. That way you will waste nothing. You'll have a way bigger spell portfolio after retraining. Which makes your wizarda lot more flexible. You can learn every spell in the game (besides the uique ones you must find) with a few retrains (if you wish to do so). You will have payed for it only with money. It's totally worth the time and dime. 

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Cool!  I am actually having fun rebuilding from level 1.  Revisiting lore to repeat hearing and revisiting a chance use the tactics I have learned on a partial playthrough to become stronger in tactics early in the game.  But if I get tired with that I can always go and use your technique on my last save when I realized I had borked the mechanics of Aloth. Thanks!

• Like 1

Blades of Vanatar I didn't see an inn with a mechanics rest bonus for the Whitemarch area.  And I didn't check if I had a bonus with scroll.  Good suggestions though.

I think even with a workaround from one of those call me obsessive but it just ate away at me that there was a mistake in the build plan for Aloth as a mechanic.  I found myself wanting to relevel to fix that building error I made putting points in the wrong spot.  And in any case I find myself enjoying starting over from the beginning to be honest.  I know more of the lore starting on a second play through so that it's like watching a movie a second time and noticing more to the story.  I will be on the lookout for mechanics scrolls though this playthrough; good suggestions.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, Boeroer said:

You are looking at it in the wrong way. Actually retraining your wizard lets you gain a lot more spells than before.

First learn all the spell you wrote into your books gain - that might be a bit expensive, but trust me: it's worth it.

Now level up!

You will only be presented with the spells you don't already know. That way you will waste nothing. You'll have a way bigger spell portfolio after retraining. Which makes your wizarda lot more flexible. You can learn every spell in the game (besides the uique ones you must find) with a few retrains (if you wish to do so). You will have payed for it only with money. It's totally worth the time and dime. 

Sorry I gutted your post I just wanted to point out that on PS4 you don’t forget any spells upon retraining while still being able to learn ones you haven’t learned. I’m not sure if they intended that or it’s a bug.

Source : I just retrained Aloth

Edit: However if you know of a way for Cipher’s to learn all their spells I am all ears.

Edited by Foxd1e
Clarity and Cipher suggestion

Yeah they don’t use Grimoires on PS4 either. I was hoping someone knew of an item or a talent that I missed or even an exploit that lets you learn additional Cipher spells since I’m playing as one in my first console playthrough. I always envied how Priest and Druids have access to all their spells.

And yes I am aware Ciphers are OP enough with access to exactly half of their spells I just like a variety.

Edited by Foxd1e