Neketaka is a good city - Cities in RPGs

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

I can't remember it exactly, either, but my sense is that when you see him on the screen, there's instantly a message above his head (or something) that says he wants to talk to you. Judging by what you say, however, it does seem rather likely that you can exit the City Gates without actually talking to him.

For whatever people talk about "Bugsidian," BG2 was a pretty buggy game at release, and without all the fan fixes it was astonishingly easy to break scripted encounters and the like. BG2EE came with a lot of those fan fixes built-in and a lot of other quality-of-life improvements as well.

Also, at least for me, for a long time I got the quest Delon gives you if Minsc is in your party (ranger stronghold quest) with the trademeet bounty, because they sounded so similar. That contributed to a "what on earth is this Trademeet icon on my map, not going there" early on.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, thelee said:

For whatever people talk about "Bugsidian," BG2 was a pretty buggy game at release, and without all the fan fixes it was astonishingly easy to break scripted encounters and the like.

I suppose that can easily have been the case. I was lucky in the sense that I came to BG2 something like two or three years after it was released (and obviously ToB was around, too), so my first patch was the last official one. I must have avoided a heck of a lot of hassle, right?

• 4 weeks later...

One thing they could have done to not make it feel overwhelming, as many hubs do, is to gate some districts behind some cleverly crafted requirements. In general aesthetics-wise it is one the few best cities I've seen in a game. Its geometry is superb, as is the use of the 3rd dimension, its design and the order of the places where the player is guided is great, the content of the districts themselves makes sense, are beautiful and interesting, imho.

Edited by Bleak
  • Like 1