Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG

Infinitron

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Kingmaker or WoR? Because WoR is pretty unbalanced at the moment.

They're both pretty unbalanced, in that you can pump your AC and saves into the stratosphere with the right combos. Like a Swordsaint with Paladin and Scaled Fist dips will get INT to AC, INT to initiative, CHA to AC, CHA to save, DEX to damage, and access to a robe that can be stacked with bracers of armor for a net +13 AC. At that point you can pretty much avoid all attacks and spells while hitting like a truck.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Space and enter aren't working?

only texts but characters are still doing their walking animations etc...

Edit - never mind, enter actually skip walking animations as well, thanks

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Played until I reached level 3. It was

Spoiler

right after reaching the first tavern.

Not really interested in seeing more until I play for real. But maybe I'll check some builds later.

Btw, the Sorcerer's elemental ability changes the cantrip Acid Splash, so it seems to work for every spell**, not only to the ones you get automatically*, like the Burning Hands (Cold).

Edit: *with the elemental bloodline.

**elemental spells only.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Played until I reached level 3. It was

Hide contents

right after reaching the first tavern.

Not really interested in seeing more until I play for real. But maybe I'll check some builds later.

Btw, the Sorcerer's elemental ability changes the cantrip Acid Spalsh, so it seems to work for every spell, not only to the ones you get automatically*, like the Burning Hands (Cold).

Edit: *with the elemental bloodline.

It doesn't work with Magic Missle, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't work with other non-elemental damage spells. It's still one of the better Bloodline Arcanas.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

In the beta I think it was only elemental damage but I may be misremembering

That's what I meant to post, by my spelling and grammar goes down the toilet after 8pm on Friday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

It doesn't work with Magic Missle, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't work with other non-elemental damage spells. It's still one of the better Bloodline Arcanas.

Sorry. It is only for elemental spells. I had that in mind but didn't write it. This would make spells much more interesting. You could use fireball and cone of cold causing acid or electric damage, for example.

sign.jpg

22 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Sorry. It is only for elemental spells. I had that in mind but didn't write it. This would make spells much more interesting. You could use fireball and cone of cold causing acid or electric damage, for example.

Yeah, there's a Wizard archetype in the game (an Owlcat original I think) that can do the same thing. In PnP there's a focused school foe evocation that swaps out the ****ty magic missile for being able to turn any element into another element a few times per day and metamagic feats that allow the same thing. I guess we'll have to wait until Call of the Wild drops for WotR to get those though.

ascendant element makes some o' the element issues moot, though admitted elemental barrage is also extreme powerful.

acid maw is a first level druid/hunter spell and it counts as damage caused by the caster as 'posed to the animal companion. the spell has a decent duration at higher levels and your animal companion may spread the wealth as it were. is a kinda sneaky way to take advantage o' the already cheesy elemental barrage mythic feat. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yesterday I tried creating a character and just checking how the game starts. I must say it does look impressive, in the technical/mechanical sense -- quite a lot of choices.

But I also noticed straight away, in the very first dialogues the game starts with, that the writing and voice acting are extremely cheesy. I wonder why that is. Oh well, we'll just have to live with it. Obsidian did a very good job of grown-up writing and voice acting in PoE and Deadfire, whereas Owlcat's Pathfinder games are written and acted at the level of "Beware, heroes! Terrible monsters ahead! We must be brave and put them to the sword. Then, and only then, do we have any chance of making it to the next encounter where we can once again prove the world how incredibly heroic we are!" I mean, there's not even an attempt at good writing here. It's all cliche and cheese.

(I thought it was funny, btw, that the game starts with a situation where the PC has been attacked by demons. Plural. And the PC is a first-level character. And (s)he survived. What?! Maybe there's an explanation to this later on, I really didn't go any further than the very first dialogues.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

39 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

(I thought it was funny, btw, that the game starts with a situation where the PC has been attacked by demons. Plural. And the PC is a first-level character. And (s)he survived. What?! Maybe there's an explanation to this later on, I really didn't go any further than the very first dialogues.)

haha, I watched an intro on youtube, as I was curious how much it has improved since beta, and it is still has this very high school stage play feel to it.

"Hi. I am the mighty dragon, protector of this city"

demons attack. Demon chops of dragon's head 

"Oh no, our powerful dragon protector has fallen. Such powerful this demons is. What shall we dooo?"

I am somewhat puzzled how few reviews were released for WotR. Was Owlcat selective with review key distribution? Did reviewers deem the game too nieche to review? Or too long to bother with? 

From the usual sources I follow only ACG did a video on it, and the rest only acknowledged its release. 

Edited by Wormerine

I am a bit confused by the cheese factor the the Pathfinder games. Some people have mentioned the PnP campaigns are responsible, but how does that explain the over the top voice action? I've only played the first one, but that high pitched narrator and low pitched barbarian girl voices were ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

But I also noticed straight away, in the very first dialogues the game starts with, that the writing and voice acting are extremely cheesy. I wonder why that is. Oh well, we'll just have to live with it. Obsidian did a very good job of grown-up writing and voice acting in PoE and Deadfire, whereas Owlcat's Pathfinder games are written and acted at the level of "Beware, heroes! Terrible monsters ahead! We must be brave and put them to the sword. Then, and only then, do we have any chance of making it to the next encounter where we can once again prove the world how incredibly heroic we are!" I mean, there's not even an attempt at good writing here. It's all cliche and cheese.

But isn't this *exactly* how most D&D DMs dramaticize events and NPCs in their TT games? ;)

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I am a bit confused by the cheese factor the the Pathfinder games. Some people have mentioned the PnP campaigns are responsible, but how does that explain the over the top voice action? I've only played the first one, but that high pitched narrator and low pitched barbarian girl voices were ridiculous. 

Owlcat doubled down on the cheese.

3 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

It is even funnier when you play as a Cavalier, because your horse comes trotting after the people carrying your character. I don't know why, but I had the impression that the horse was completely lost or scared.

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I can't see any real explanation for this. Apparently the company has NO good writers at all and very few people with any education in drama, literature, movies and other relative fields. Also, it appears they don't speak English very well, which may, at least in part, contribute to the fact that they don't recognize how ridiculous some of the stuff is. It's also possible that they just don't care.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:13 AM, Chilloutman said:

whoever say that fights are easy - not that much for me xD

As is typical of any Pathfinder playthrough, Grease is your friend. So are pit spells for CCing some troublesome casters.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

So I just finished chapter 2, and spent maybe 6-7 hours clearing Drezen.  It was cool, but insanely long, and the camera was kind of wonky sometimes.  Also, it started getting super laggy (like slideshow laggy) whenever I selected Lann.  Hopefully a restart will have fixed it.

Only had a couple bugs.  Life Link doesn't work, which is disappointing, but..eh.  The things that cause me to need healing hit hard enough that life link is kinda pointless anyway (I will say I'm a bit annoyed how enemies seem to be either really easy or insanely hard.  I did manage to beat a big old optional demon in Drezen though that netted me >10k xp...and trash loot.)  The other bug I had was one where an area transition didn't appear, but exiting and restarting the game fixed it.

My one complaint so far would be that they've, as far as I'm concerned, swung way too much the other way with loot.  Yeah, Kingmaker was kinda Monty Haul, but so far Wrath feels pretty stingy.  I'm level 10 now, and still with only a handful of +stat items to pass around to the party, and none of them better than +2.  Having 2 pets (I went Azata) makes it a little rougher, but still, I'm feeling a little let down in the loot department.

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

My one complaint so far would be that they've, as far as I'm concerned, swung way too much the other way with loot.  Yeah, Kingmaker was kinda Monty Haul, but so far Wrath feels pretty stingy.  I'm level 10 now, and still with only a handful of +stat items to pass around to the party, and none of them better than +2.  Having 2 pets (I went Azata) makes it a little rougher, but still, I'm feeling a little let down in the loot department.

This sounds both promising and slightly alarming. I'm really happy that they've toned down the amount of loot, but yes, it's also possible to go too far.

Heck, Kingmaker was really annoying and immersion-breaking in this regard. You walk around a city or a village and notice there are tons of gold, scrolls, potions and even really quite good magic items just lying around. I mean, wouldn't anyone else pick any that stuff up? How is poverty possible if you can literally collect coins from otherwise empty barrels on the side of a random house?

• Like 1

am s'posing you could consider the following spoilery, but the following is the link to the pnp adventure path at paizo: https://paizo.com/wrathOfTheRighteous

am not defending owlcat writing efforts.  the thing is, with even cursory knowledge o' the pnp ap 'pon which the wrath pc game is based, would you expect the owlcat writers to focus on the human elements o' the story and growth of characters as people as 'posed to leaning into the archetypes? serious? is not as if owlcat imagined wrath into being. in its pnp incarnation, wrath is a munchkin's fantasy adventure showcasing the then new mythic rules from paizo. other than the second adventure installment, wrath is designed to be a rather linear and transparent excuse to throw epic cheese at a player.

what woulda' made anybody believe owlcat writing efforts were gonna be transformative?

we got favorite pathfinder ap, and wrath doesn't make the top ten list. in retrospect, am ok with owlcat's choice to do wrath 'cause am expecting we woulda' been mighty disappointed if they blundered their way through carrion crown, skull and shackles, hell's rebels, etc.

@Vaeliorin

am kinda feeling a disconnect as you observe you are not finding the game particular challenging, but there isn't enough stat boosting 1007? more such goodies would effective make the game even easier, yes? dunno. in the beta, by the time we were in the abyss, the stat boosting items were not rare, but it still made sense to diversify our party 'cause chances are the best stuff were limited. post drezen world map exploration also provides considerable treasure.

be aware, if you are skipping the crusade/army management, you are making a mistake. there is significant loot to be found by conquering opposing armies and if nothing has changed, the best strength boosting item pre drezen is available via an army conflict. am personal just having reached level seven so the relevant battle for the strength belt is not appearing yet on our map, but as everything else is the same thus far, am assuming it will reveal itself in due time. should have multiple +2 items pre drezen and a few +4 including dex and strength. 

am a big fan o' animal companions and am typical having 'tween two or three in a given party configuration, and that is not including aivu. animal companions, 'cause they ain't as op as in kingmaker, is perhaps a bit underrated in wrath. am seeing folks bragging 'bout the extra attacks they get with some mutagenic warrior build but they ignore how a dog or leopard gets multiple attacks, trip and the critter may attack designated opponents distant from the player and act as a mobile meat shield if necessary. have teamwork feats to provide 'em outflank, seize the moment and tandem trip, as well as potential other options, makes multiple animal companions a serious power boost for a party. as such, if we were able to fully kit animal companions and our entire party with top tier stat boosting items it might be just a smidge unbalancing. 

aside:

worst bug we has had to endure so far is cosmetic. our pc has a darker complexion. so too does sosiel. if you save your game under specific lighting conditions (or so am beginning to suspect) and then reload, sosiel and those with similar complexions become... chalky. if you do not have an earlier reload, you is stuck with your pc or sosiel looking like one o' the undead. sounds like a minor thing, and am supposing in the case o' sosiel we will deal with it, but we need to maintain a few save points just in case this happens again with our pc. am not wanting to spend +100 hours enduring self directed michael jackson jokes 'bout our character appearance. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

well I believe even 'mythic' stuff can be done with bit of taste (my taste of course :) ). Frankly most companions and writing is very off putting to me to a point where I am considering full self made party but I am bit scared how much gameplay impact it might have.

I can stomach story being not my taste but at least I want to have companions who like to play (mechanically and writing wise)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"