Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG

Infinitron

am not a fan o' game romances, with the notable quasi-romance o' tno and ravel from ps:t. however, if you are choosing three female-specific romance options 'mongst the bg2 companions and mazzy fentan is not selected, am thinking you need reexamine priorities.

in bioware's defense, mazzy is typical acquired a bit late compared to other companions. am recalling this were the expressed reason for excluding the halfling from the romancable options. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you have an animal companion (say, from 1 level of cavalier) and then take a level in something with a restricted animal companion choice, particularly Divine Hound?  Thinking of doing a Cavalier 1/Divine Hound 19 Azata for my first character, and wondered if I needed to go with a small race because I'd have to change to a dog as an animal companion (though I've heard rumors the Azata dragon companion is rideable?)

48 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you have an animal companion (say, from 1 level of cavalier) and then take a level in something with a restricted animal companion choice, particularly Divine Hound?  Thinking of doing a Cavalier 1/Divine Hound 19 Azata for my first character, and wondered if I needed to go with a small race because I'd have to change to a dog as an animal companion (though I've heard rumors the Azata dragon companion is rideable?)

animal companion choices made at level one survive unscathed even if your subsequent levels restrict the animal companion choice to a critter which would preclude your level one choice. 

example: 

chose leopard for your sacred hunstmaster's animal companion at level 1. at level 4 you switch to sohei and you will keep leveling your leopard as posed to either having your leopard sudden becoming a horse or you receiving a second animal companion which is an equine. level one choice holds. converse, and counter intuitive, choose a horse for your character as a level one cavalier and then switch to divine hound at level two will mean your divine hound animal companion is a horse.

proviso: given how buggy this recent build has been, our experience with the recent build is limited. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

fyi, dogs become large and are arguably the best animal companion option in the game. urban hunter is a non-obvious choice, but the free captor feats are worth looking at because of just how powerful the trip abilities are in wotr. that said, divine hound is also very impressive as you are a spontaneous caster who has cleric domain spells added to your list.

am thinking there is a whole lotta excellent animal companion options, but most o' our personal efforts (mounted or otherwise) involve finding a way to get a leopard (tanky) or dogs/wolves, 'cause trip is gold.

HA! Good Fun!

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

fyi, dogs become large and are arguably the best animal companion option in the game. urban hunter is a non-obvious choice, but the free captor feats are worth looking at because of just how powerful the trip abilities are in wotr. that said, divine hound is also very impressive as you are a spontaneous caster who has cleric domain spells added to your list.

am thinking there is a whole lotta excellent animal companion options, but most o' our personal efforts (mounted or otherwise) involve finding a way to get a leopard (tanky) or dogs/wolves, 'cause trip is gold.

HA! Good Fun!

My only real concern with dogs is that they only get the one attack (though they apparently get iteratives eventually, which I didn't realize) and that a medium character can't use them as a mount.  But yes, I'm a big fan of trip, and was actually planning to go that route.  Also, dog is only supposed to go small->medium I thought.  Wolf goes medium->large, and that might be a decent tradeoff that isn't super cheaty, since wolf is very similar to dog in terms of stats/abilities.  It all sort of depends on what's available to a non-Beast Rider Cavalier, since I want the heavy armor proficiency.

Also, Divine Hound gets cleric domain spells?  From what I've seen, I just thought they traded animal focus for judgement.  Are you perhaps thinking of divine hunter?  I wanted the piles of teamwork feats from (non-Divine) Hunter cause I was going to go Azata mythic path, and sharing 8 or so teamwork feats with the whole party sounded pretty awesome.  Since most of the (what I would consider useful) animal focus abilities are enhancement bonuses, they don't stack with gear/spells, so I didn't think losing animal focus would be a particularly big deal, and the judgements would be nice bonuses, particularly after picking up Everlasting Judgement.

Truth be told, I was just looking for something that would mix well with Azata without overlapping too much, and Hunter seemed like a good fit.  Bard and Skald both seemed like they had too much overlap with Azata in terms of spellbook, and I'm assuming you can't have an Azata song and a skald/bard song up at the same time.  Inquisitor would give me the teamwork feats, but nothing exciting spell-wise, since I'll undoubtedly have a cleric or oracle with me at all times. 

I've wanted to play a melee Hunter for a while now anyway (i've always played them as ranged previously) so it seemed like the thing to go with.

Forgive me for rambling, but I'm really looking forward to the game (which yes, I realize is likely to be pretty buggy at launch) and trying to play around with build ideas is a real pain without having access to the game, since finding complete information anywhere is seemingly near impossible.

P.S. Does life oracle really not have life link implemented?  The people I've seen playing the game or going over classes and the like don't seem to have access to it, and I can't imagine playing a life oracle without life link.

4 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

My only real concern with dogs is that they only get the one attack (though they apparently get iteratives eventually, which I didn't realize) and that a medium character can't use them as a mount.  But yes, I'm a big fan of trip, and was actually planning to go that route.  Also, dog is only supposed to go small->medium I thought.  Wolf goes medium->large, and that might be a decent tradeoff that isn't super cheaty, since wolf is very similar to dog in terms of stats/abilities.  It all sort of depends on what's available to a non-Beast Rider Cavalier, since I want the heavy armor proficiency.

wotr dogs were mountable by medium characters in the previous build, and at least initial in the current build, but wolf is near as viable so if you don't want to be cheaty, then wolf gets you to functional the same place. urban hunter will provide you and your mount access to the advanced combat maneuver feats w/o needing to meet the prerequisites, and curiously, the rider of said mount is (was) current getting the benefit of the mount's cmd, or vice versa, whichever is greater. 

attack numbers for animal companions are busted and have been since the initial beta. do not choose smilodon or similar expecting more than 3 attacks even mid/late game with multiattack... which is also not working as it is s'posed to. limited wolf attack numbers is mitigated to a large degree by trip and combat reflexes.

and yes, divine hunter is the alternative we had in mind. lann is a particular good choice for taking divine hunter, although iomade does not provide ideal domains. nevertheless, glory is a nice option particular if you develop lann as a snapshot zen archer/divine hunter. 'course such is obvious not the melee kinda thing you were contemplating. with a wisdom based caster, taking zen archer has natural synergy. 

divine hound sounds good for teamwork feats. we did a colluding scoundrel/ fey speaker azata who were extreme useful in the previous beta build. we wanted a charisma caster 'cause the azata spells, while frequent ignoring sr, still include save checks. we wanted decent dcs for a few o' the impressive azata offensive spells. a 3 level dip for a caster class is normally a bad idea, but our party had three animal companion characters, so teamwork feats were win. sadly aivu does not benefit from the colluding scoundrel teamwork feat feature, but the azata team work power works. 

player created oracles are busted in multiple ways and we kinda gave up on them. am not certain how badly they are current broken. initially it were near impossible to create an oracle with the new beta regardless o' mystery. at some point you could create an oracle, but only if you did not take oracle at level one and recognizing that nature is/was verboten and would lock up your leveling attempt. etc.  if you scroll up (don't waste the effort) you will see multiple complaints from this poster regarding the oracle as implemented in the current beta.

HA! Good Fun!

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

wotr dogs were mountable by medium characters in the previous build, and at least initial in the current build, but wolf is near as viable so if you don't want to be cheaty, then wolf gets you to functional the same place. urban hunter will provide you and your mount access to the advanced combat maneuver feats w/o needing to meet the prerequisites, and curiously, the rider of said mount is (was) current getting the benefit of the mount's cmd, or vice versa, whichever is greater. 

attack numbers for animal companions are busted and have been since the initial beta. do not choose smilodon or similar expecting more than 3 attacks even mid/late game with multiattack... which is also not working as it is s'posed to. limited wolf attack numbers is mitigated to a large degree by trip and combat reflexes.

and yes, divine hunter is the alternative we had in mind. lann is a particular good choice for taking divine hunter, although iomade does not provide ideal domains. nevertheless, glory is a nice option particular if you develop lann as a snapshot zen archer/divine hunter. 'course such is obvious not the melee kinda thing you were contemplating. with a wisdom based caster, taking zen archer has natural synergy. 

divine hound sounds good for teamwork feats. we did a colluding scoundrel/ fey speaker azata who were extreme useful in the previous beta build. we wanted a charisma caster 'cause the azata spells, while frequent ignoring sr, still include save checks. we wanted decent dcs for a few o' the impressive azata offensive spells. a 3 level dip for a caster class is normally a bad idea, but our party had three animal companion characters, so teamwork feats were win. sadly aivu does not benefit from the colluding scoundrel teamwork feat feature, but the azata team work power works. 

player created oracles are busted in multiple ways and we kinda gave up on them. am not certain how badly they are current broken. initially it were near impossible to create an oracle with the new beta regardless o' mystery. at some point you could create an oracle, but only if you did not take oracle at level one and recognizing that nature is/was verboten and would lock up your leveling attempt. etc.  if you scroll up (don't waste the effort) you will see multiple complaints from this poster regarding the oracle as implemented in the current beta.

HA! Good Fun!

That's weird that dogs were mountable with medium characters.  I guess in that case I wouldn't have a problem with a dog (though I will admit the image of a halfling riding a velociraptor amuses the heck out of me.)  The feats on Urban Hunter would be nice, but you lose the teamwork feats, and I don't mind having a 13 int (if nothing else, I'll appreciate the extra skill points.)

And yeah, I know about all the bugs you've complained about, I've read the whole thread. :)

Non-related P.S.:  Is there no longer a way to switch to BB code?  Breaking up quotes to reply to the individual bits seems like it would be a major pain (if it's even possible) without it.

Ha. I just checked some of the "Mythic paths" on the official WotR website. I must say Owlcat still leaves quite a lot to be desired when it comes to having a good grasp of the language and writing stuff that makes sense. First two spots: in the Mythic paths, the lich is described as "An immortal undead, a master of necromancy..." and so on. Anyone ever heard of a mortal undead? And the "Swarm that walks" is described as "An all-devouring monstrocity", which is nice, I suppose. Not a monstrovillage or a monstrotown, then. Maybe the folks at Owlcat could learn to spell.

Btw, yes I am going to buy the game. But still.

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Ha. I just checked some of the "Mythic paths" on the official WotR website. I must say Owlcat still leaves quite a lot to be desired when it comes to having a good grasp of the language and writing stuff that makes sense. First two spots: in the Mythic paths, the lich is described as "An immortal undead, a master of necromancy..." and so on. Anyone ever heard of a mortal undead? And the "Swarm that walks" is described as "An all-devouring monstrocity", which is nice, I suppose. Not a monstrovillage or a monstrotown, then. Maybe the folks at Owlcat could learn to spell.

Btw, yes I am going to buy the game. But still.

You could go point these things out to them. They're extremely welcoming of feedback. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

the lich is described as "An immortal undead, a master of necromancy..." and so on. Anyone ever heard of a mortal undead?

Well, you can hack a zombie to make it deader then it already is. Liches has their phylacteries to not have that happen, no?

Undead are dead who still live, no? I mean it doesn't really make sense, but that's undead we are talking about. 

• Like 1

They're undead and living unlife, while also being beyond death and mortality. Fantasy stuff is weird and contradictory.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

They're undead and living unlife, while also being beyond death and mortality. Fantasy stuff is weird and contradictory.

Quite. But to describe a lich as an "immortal undead" is like describing the Canadian rock band Rush as a "three-man trio". A person whose job is to write material for an official website should know that the qualifier is tautological.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, xzar_monty said:

Fair point! I didn't find an email address (which is no surprise), nor a feedback form.

They actively read their own forum. It is my understanding they're very active on the game's Discord site. And I believe they have a feedback link but that's for people playing the beta.

• Like 1

am gonna admit that as much as am liking trickster abilities and the general concept, the problem is the story implementation. if you wanna be a conman who is willing to exploit friends and foe alike, then the trickster is a good option, but while beer elementals and fish missiles might sound funny, we found the trickster story elements increasing less humorous as we got deeper into the game. shame too. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am gonna admit that as much as am liking trickster abilities and the general concept, the problem is the story implementation. if you wanna be a conman who is willing to exploit friends and foe alike, then the trickster is a good option, but while beer elementals and fish missiles might sound funny, we found the trickster story elements increasing less humorous as we got deeper into the game. shame too. 

HA! Good Fun!

wonder if the game will allow player go with blood painted murder clown level of disturbing with trickster

or exploitive themepark and abusive circus

20 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

wonder if the game will allow player go with blood painted murder clown level of disturbing with trickster

or exploitive themepark and abusive circus

well, from the beta it were not quite tdkr joker homicidal or something wicked this way comes g.m. dark level o' sinister. there were a killer klowns from outer space kinda mayhem aspect to the trickster. 

am not sure what we expected. am s'posing is difficult to achieve an ideal and universal appreciated level o' mischievous, but mostly am thinking somebody at owlcat forgot the rules and the mogwai were fed after midnight. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I'd have to agree. I really like some of the Trickster abilities but what I've seen of the story makes me think I'll maybe play it once just to see what happens. I've not spent a lot of time playing Trickster so far because of that but I've seen a lot of complaints about that path over at Owlcat that lead me to believe it never gets better. At least not through act 4 anyway.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Planning on a Bard multi-classing into Duelist for a Trickster playthrough and role-playing as Cegorach the Laughing God:

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

16 hours ago, Agiel said:

Planning on a Bard multi-classing into Duelist for a Trickster playthrough and role-playing as Cegorach the Laughing God:

bard doesn't do much for us personal, but skald is intriguing both for single and multiclass options. unfortunately, skald has been one o' the more busted classes all during the beta. with a cegorach inspired main, is unlikely you got seelah and ember in your party, but a court poet skald provides a nice powerup for not only self but for those two companions as well as for nenio, daeran and to a lesser degree, sosiel.  am also curious 'bout battle singer as well but have not tested at all.

give seelah eight court poet levels has gameplay upside but am having some difficulty explaining from a roleplay pov. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1