Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG

Infinitron

I've also noticed some new NPCs at Defender's Heart and a new quest.

Spoiler

I've also finally completed the little lever puzzle in the basement. Dunno if I was just stupid before or it didn't work properly.

I also picked up the sentient weapon but it doesn't appear in my inventory. Not sure if there's something I have to do first or if I broke it somehow. Still a lot left to do in Kenabres so I guess I'll find out

E: So I'm just blind because the sentient weapon has his own button on the bottom of the inventory screen

Edited by ShadySands
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

17 hours ago, ShadySands said:

So I'm just blind because the sentient weapon has his own button on the bottom of the inventory screen

That's weird. How good is the weapon so far?

Looking at new archetypes added and it looks like we have a new one for Magus that focuses on mounted combat. From what I can tell this is an Owlcat original, so I bet we'll see some of these fill out the remaining gaps in archetypes. I wonder if mounted combat is implemented well enough to give it a shot. 

We've also got a better preview of class abilities, which not only shows what and when each class gets abilities, but shows what archetypes lose. I think there's still some stuff missing though, like the Kensai's diminished spellcasting.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

am thinking the recent twitch should be informative to developers 'cause even their community manager were discombobulated during character creation resulting from fact she didn't know what were the right choices to make. keep in mind the community manager had played at least a couple dozen hours o' the previous beta build and she still felt as if she could be making game breaking bad choices at level 0. the terrible reality is she ain't wrong, but am suspecting play on normal or lower difficulty should make such mistakes a relative non-factor.

developer observations:

seemed confident all classes will eventual have at least six archetypes, not including the racial specific archetypes. 

might be too early to choose skald or other classes broken in the previous build. class specific bugs were a lower priority for this build.

(will add more as we get deeper into the twitch, if we get deeper. am at 60 minutes.)

HA! Good Fun!

ps  we were relived to see some wonky shadow effects in the twitch play 'cause that means it ain't some kinda hardware/software issue at our end. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

That's weird. How good is the weapon so far?

It's pretty good. It starts out as a +1 cold iron weapon with ghost touch so it's not the absolute best weapon you can get early in chapter 1 but since it can be any type of weapon you want it may very well be the best of its type.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, ShadySands said:

It's pretty good. It starts out as a +1 cold iron weapon with ghost touch so it's not the absolute best weapon you can get early in chapter 1 but since it can be any type of weapon you want it may very well be the best of its type.

ghost touch is more useful than in the previous build as shadow and spectre touch attacks were seeming disabled in the earlier beta. now you better kill 'em quick before they level or strength drain you to death. not a lotta such enemies, but is nice to have at least one dependable weapon usable by somebody other than camellia at lower levels.

Spoiler

the particular companion quest where you find the companion weapon is always our first venture after leaving defender's heart for the first time, so we kinda lucked into finding it early... seeing as how there is kinda only two companion quests you may do immediate, we should probable tag this observation as a spoiler. 

am replaying from level 3 after hearing skalds is likely still busted. we foolish gave seelah multiple skald levels after two paladin levels and we won't know whether keening were fixed until five levels o' skald. 

on core a few encounters include one or two extra foes. not a substantial change so far, but am wondering if a few o' the boss battles were altered. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps not all cold iron weapons are working as intended to bypass demon dr. the talking weapon also, perhaps not complete surprising, does not confer cold iron quality to weapons such as clubs. however, we were much surprised that the cold iron masterwork dagger we bought for the woljif were not bypassing demon dr.

am assuming this "bug" is an issue in rt as well as tb and at difficulties lower than core. 

atm, all characters appear to be getting 1 point o' slashing bonus damage, so at first we thought that were what were being reduced, by demon dr, but nope.

pps more new bugs. if you respec a character with an animal companion, you will be prevented from choosing a subclass for your animal companion-- defaults to vanilla "animal companion" post respec.

Spoiler

the defender's heart defense battle is still wonky in tb mode. the z axis becomes a factor in peculiar ways. used grease on the minotaur, which were great save that we were adjacent to the storage building and sudden the minotaur were suspended 10' in the air and out of range of melee attacks.

(edit) scrolls of restoration may be purchased at the defender's heart, but they are listed as "scrolls of," at a cost of 700 per. three total. 

ppps oracles still cannot choose a second mystery via the tier 1 mythic options, which makes our plans to add nature to daeran a non-starter.

am beginning to think few class specific bugs were addressed for this build.

as an aside,

Spoiler

virtual all the grey garrison encounters were unchanged in core difficulty from the previous build. there were no extra combatants to make encounters more challenging. however, the final battle of act 1 does include a couple of vrocks who were not present in the previous build, which is an odd addition for the developers to be bothering considering your party is given their mythic sooperboost and your crew is near-invulnerable for the post wardstone resolution battle. perhaps the additions make a difference at higher difficulty levels?

am uncertain how much more am gonna play until there is a new patch. 'cause at the moment we got a bug where we cannot access companions while in camp. no changes to inventory, level-up, spell books, etc. gotta make changes at the world map and then reenter camp if we want to rest or whatnot. for a compulsive micromanager, this is not an ideal situation.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

new patch

looks as if am gonna need to restart 'cause even with a clean install, our most annoying bug remains. 

that said, is a positive the issue o' respec breaking mythic has been addressed.

HA! Good Fun!

got a few bugs which is making progress... difficult. nevertheless, am at level 7 with a colluding scoundrel/feyspeaker and am kinda playing around with a few builds w/o any genuine intent to go deeper towards drezen.

however, what we did notice while doing far too many random map encounters and ambushes is the frequency of the cambion cleric in chapter 2. this generous but doomed soul carries a +3 light crossbow, +2 ring of protection, +2 natural armour amulet, a +2 wisdom boosting item. he wears +3 studded leather and also carries an afterthought masterwork scimitar. sure, use a mod and you may give yourself unlimited money, but if you do not have such a mod, a couple extra random map encounters will enrich you significant. you will also be awarded just shy o' 500xp for ridding the worldwound o' these disproportionately well equipped fellows.

HA! Good Fun!

6.2d happened in the wee hours this AM, 'cause there were a problem with 6.2c.

so far it looks like class fixes are not a priority, although a few classes have been rendered... humorous.

demonslayers now have favored enemy: outsiders. the thing is, favored enemy: outsiders is applying to hit and damage bonuses 'gainst all outsider but for demons. to get bonuses v. demons you need select one of three new demon-specific favored enemies: slaughter, strength, magic. am having no idea what demons correspond to which category save through guessing. regardless, the demonslayer cannot choose those three options. demonslayer gets vanilla outsiders for favoured enemy, which is literal all outsiders but for demons. 

a class feature o' the nomad (ranger) is a horse animal companion. no animal companion for nomads, horse or otherwise.

am continuing to have camp issues with companion inventory and spell book access, but such is no surprise. am a bit discouraged by how respec is still busted if you have an animal companion. as far as am able to tell, is more than a few aspects being bungled by animal companions. of course Gromnir has been playing animal companion focused builds, so...

mythic second spirit and second mystery is still not capable o' selection for shaman nor oracle. 

loremaster is now on the prestige class list. cannot select even if you meet prereqs.

etc.

it does appear a few o' the geometry fails has been addressed. no specific patch notes for 6.2d, so am not certain what were fixed, but am s'posing the 6.2c link included should cover numerous fixes.

the snow in the beta looks nice. makes us more (if only a tiny bit) convinced next ap will be reign of winter.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

I started a new game with a purifier oracle with the nature mystery for a wolf pet. Still in act 1 but am enjoying it so far.

I dropped my aeon playthrough in act 4 because

I didn't much care for enforcing the laws of the abyss on the few not so bad folks there. I guess I could just do the renegade aeon thing but it didn't seem to have as many options as it did in act 3. To be fair, I did give up rather early so maybe it gets better .

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I started a new game with a purifier oracle with the nature mystery for a wolf pet. Still in act 1 but am enjoying it so far.

I dropped my aeon playthrough in act 4 because

Hide contents

I didn't much care for enforcing the laws of the abyss on the few not so bad folks there. I guess I could just do the renegade aeon thing but it didn't seem to have as many options as it did in act 3. To be fair, I did give up rather early so maybe it gets better .

at some point we wanna do an oracle with nature and battle mysteries + three levels o' sacred huntsmaster.  take lame curse and make certain we get travel domain from sacred hunstmaster to effective nullify the malus o' lame. the friend to animals nature power mixed with a couple of teamwork feats looked like a great combo if you like animal companions and/or summons. getting the charisma modifier added to ac is nothing to sneeze at either. few posts back we mentioned how am admitted kinda addicted to animal companions and trip. is not many downsides to nature oracle other than crappy skills and as such we  might eventual breakdown and try just the nature oracle + sacred huntsmaster seeing as how the second mystery thing is still busted.

am knowing oracle merges the angel spell book, so is obvious synergy, but we were thinking o' trying azata anyways. we kinda like owlcat's azata from an rp pov, but it does push you hard chaotic as you get deeper in the game and as we got further into the mythic quest lines we were recalling just how much we dislike d&d/pathfinder alignment.

am kinda stuck pre drezen act 2 as a few bugs made progress tedious though not impossible. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am not certain if is still working this way, but in the previous beta build, the sacred fist ac bonus for charisma were stacking with oracle nature mystery ac bonus. 

• Like 1

so, release in a bit over three months.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excited for the release, held off playing the beta as I wanted to paly the entire game from the start ... finally kind of burned out on early access and beta games.  So first impressions does it improve on Kingmaker, is the story as good, the game as involved, as much to explore, are the side quests as fun?  I mean only answer if you like Kingmaker lol though ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I finally beat act 4, which is as far as the beta goes, and I'm really looking forward to the full game. I might mess around with a few things here and there but I'm trying to wait for the full release before really diving back in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I finally beat act 4, which is as far as the beta goes, and I'm really looking forward to the full game. I might mess around with a few things here and there but I'm trying to wait for the full release before really diving back in.

sheesh. clear am doing something wrong as we just completed act 2... again. 

is a few hurdles which cause us to go slow and many such obstacles is bugs. took us literal an hour o' save and reload attempts to exit drezen citadel after the boss fight-- multiple party members had geometry fails and were "falling" through the floor immediate before the exit area. btw, am using literal to mean literal 'stead o' how kids these days use as euphemism. an hour. we still got the party management bug wherein we cannot adjust inventory, spellbooks or character tabs unless we exit camp.  took a week or two off from gaming hoping the newer build would address a few o' our bug issues. didn't happen. etc.

am playing tb core, and we can be a bit pokey when doing tb.

even so...

have spent nearly 1/3 o' our time playing with level 9 builds using respec and/or merc hires. the oracle/thug/bloodrager/scaled fist/paladin build (f'ing d&d and pathfinder *sigh*) looks solid. colluding scoundrel/crossbow sohei/ranger looks good as angel or azata... as long as we get all monk levels (need 11 for second flurry) in before the inevitable alignment shift for azata. am annoyed that most o' our favorite builds is ranged, 'cause nenio, arueshalae, and lann is already having great archer potential. could add wenduag to the list of we kept her 'round. regardless, have spent much time playing with level 9 builds.

even so...

am also doing a bit of real life landscape maintenance, which means our efforts to advance in beta is a bit on the paltry side. am serious considering ripping out most o' our plants and replacing with rocks. don't need to water rocks. don't need to prune rocks. wood peckers don't destroy rocks as they did our birch trees. keep the redwoods and the roof-high photinias which is functional an extra 30 metres of fencing on the one side o' our house... and maybe a few gardenias. the rest? rocks. not kidding 'bout the birch trees neither. we had six mature birch trees and four is functional hollowed out by wood peckers. gonna replace the birches with rocks.

even so...

am admiring shady's verve in being able to complete the beta. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

did we mention we loathe kingdom management? got what appear to be icons informing us we are running outta time for... something(s). doesn't tell us which tasks is time sensitive and are within days (hours) o' expiring. clearing the map o' demon armies as we did in chapter two were clear a mistake as now we got a backlog o' projects, not to mention an event we literal cannot address. bugged? 

Spoiler

also had ember kidnapped after we managed to cheese off daeran, so am stuck with sosiel as support and heals temporary until we can retrieve ember... and we cant seem to advance sosiel's gambling quest, which we wanna do before his brother bit.

*sigh*

might go back to mechwarrior 5 as our blood pressure is rising.

is also one crusade battle which is broken for us. involves a bunch o' plagued animals and a background which is black void with nothing targetable. 

HA! Good Fun!

11 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

bugged? 

Yep. I have 2 events that are bugged in every game I have. Nothing seems to be time sensitive though as the icons don't seem to actually do anything. Also some of the item projects seem to be bugged as well as I'm always stuck with a few that I can't even start.

Sosiel's quest is also bugged as is he in the city.

The only time he's going to be able to be interacted with is in the prison when the imposter shows up.

Sometimes I can target the enemy units by clicking on them even though it doesn't register in the UI that I have them targeted it will usually still attack them. Not always though. I've been getting a bug with roving armies but as soon as the battle map loads it kicks me back out to world map and then says the enemy army has reached me and attacks then does it all over again. I can only get out of it by killing the game.

So many bugs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yep. I have 2 events that are bugged in every game I have. Nothing seems to be time sensitive though as the icons don't seem to actually do anything. Also some of the item projects seem to be bugged as well as I'm always stuck with a few that I can't even start.

Sosiel's quest is also bugged as is he in the city.

Hide contents

The only time he's going to be able to be interacted with is in the prison when the imposter shows up.

Sometimes I can target the enemy units by clicking on them even though it doesn't register in the UI that I have them targeted it will usually still attack them. Not always though. I've been getting a bug with roving armies but as soon as the battle map loads it kicks me back out to world map and then says the enemy army has reached me and attacks then does it all over again. I can only get out of it by killing the game.

So many bugs

am finding enemies who occupy what would be a8 on a chessboard is almost never targetable in the ordinary sense, but we may nevertheless use archers to hit 'em. however, is one army encounter map with a plagued mastodon and a bunch o' other plagued beast units which is not subject to any interaction. is no background either as screen is black save units and the ui. 

took a few reloads, and a less than ideal resolution but we finally got past an ember quest bug. we wouldn't mind losing ember save fact we got seelah carrying court poet levels and the bonus she provides intelligence and charisma casters is kinda how we built this party. 

too many class mechanic bugs to mention. the ranger favoured enemy thing is particular annoying as it affects other similar features such as the bloodrager celestial bloodline, and o'course we went ahead and gave camellia and regill levels in bloodrager (celestial). multiple other companions got ranger levels-- arueshalae having outsider as a favoured enemy is swell if we happen to be attacked by elementals, but otherwise it is useless.

whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

• 2 weeks later...

am taking a break from mechwarrior 5 play as we kinda felt like we were doing little more than grinding c-bills and mechs. 

so we finished chapter three... again. surprise.

Spoiler

chapter three is where the previous beta ended and the two times we finished chap three, we just kind stopped. am familiar with the pnp adventure path though have only played the first couple adventures. nevertheless, it never occurred to us that following the midnight fane stuff we would be prohibited from resupply. we kinda went into the midnight fane a bit underprepared but as we had done previous we were not worried. travel to the abyss following the final encounter o' chapter three were not part o' the plan.

break enchantment still doesn't end petrified condition. lucky for us, this lesson were learned with an animal companion. 

aivu is the winner in our azata run.

Spoiler

at mythic rank 5, as we explore a bit o' the abyss, she is doing spammable 8d10 sonic damage to 1/2 the screen. there is a 3rd level azata spell which grants allies immunity to any one elemental damage source. so casting the rainbow dome at the frontline and then let aivu wreck everything is a default tactic. one of the two azata sooper powers will be allowing us to pick two additional teamwork feats and have all our teamworks apply to companions in a 50' radius. aivu will therefore benefit from teamwork feats just as does our animal companion. mythic rank 6 should be happening soon if is same as the ap. regardless, aivu is considered level 20 at mythic rank 5 and is gaining spells with each level increase. am foreseeing a point where aivu is one o' the more effective spell casters in our party as her unbuffed spell dcs and spell penetration is gonna be impressive if she continues a linear progression o' advancement.  

the favourable magic sooper power combined with our feyspeaker is working well particular coupled with the ascendant element (fire) mythic feat. 

am enjoying the tree hugger azata mythic story elements even if some o'  the whimsy feels a bit forced. that said, am gonna admit the angel mythic path with a mostly oracle or cleric build is just an all-out wrecker o' wotr boss battles. 

is a fair amount o' bugs and seeming broken quests. is near halfway through june and wotr releases start o' september. is hard to imagine the chap five & six content is more stable and refined than four... and owlcat didn't bother to address many o' the class feature bugs with the recent build, but they did add a couple. using kingmaker as our baseline for owlcat game stability, am thinking the class feature stuff is gonna require community fixes over some number o' months (years) following release. nevertheless, we do foresee wotr as being playable come september, and given how pokey is our tb gameplay, am hopeful much o' the anticipatory broken quests in later chapters will be fixed before we get close to accessing such content.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I'm expecting a delay of a couple of months and if not then I'd advise holding off playing for at least that long. Not confident their last two chapters are going to be well polished especially with only internal testing. I'm not entirely confident the first four chapters will be decently polished at launch either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not entirely confident the first four chapters will be decently polished at launch either.

with the improvements to builds thus far, am not confident o' anything beyond chapter three and even such content will be buggy by the standards o' most crpg titles.

am thinking is kinda a given crpgs is gonna be buggy at release, which is why for any game we ain't already purchased via kickstarter or fig or similar, we always wait 6 months before purchasing and playing. inevitably we get cheaper and more stable games by waiting. the thing is, we contributed to the wotr kickstarter, a fact we almost forgot as we disliked much o' kingmaker.

at this point am assuming the first few months o' wotr release will be a functional extended beta. even so, am admitting the first couple chapters, which has now been community tested extensive, has already been improved to near acceptable levels. chapter three is still kinda hit and miss for stability but am gonna assume improvements is being made before september. chapter four? not close to full cooked. am steeling self to the reality chapters five and six, with no community feedback, will be a mess. 

if one ain't purchased already, then wait six months is a good idea.

having already purchased and clear committed to beta testing, the september release date, if it sticks, will be viewed by our self as just another beta build. 

'course playing mechwarrior five has us wanting to play more battletech. never did play heavy metal. after we finish chapter four, will likely do a bit o' battletech.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

last few version of kingmaker are still more unstable than some other famously unstable rpg are at launch

owlcat are held back by their own ambition and passion more than anything else

not sure what will happen with the new overpowered and overcomplicated mythic addition will do to the game

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

last few version of kingmaker are still more unstable than some other famously unstable rpg are at launch

a belief wotr will be significant more polished than kingmaker is a pleasant fantasy unsupported by any evidence. the thing is, am thinking few persons is gonna be caught off guard by the lack of stability o' wotr. owlcat developed wotr as a kickstarter selling another pathfinder ap to people who enjoyed kingmaker. anybody who played kingmaker and nevertheless is convinced wotr will be comparative bug free anytime soon is the audience you want if you desire to see tinkerbell resurrected, but am hardly gonna call such belief reasonable.

we need face the unpleasant truth that while near every gamer bemoans crpg game stability as an endemic genre problem, people keep buying titles on day 1 of release from developers who have a poor track record for their qa efforts. developers and publishers no doubt recognize most crpg fans is bluffing 'bout not buying the next title if the current product is a buggy mess. 

am personal a weird aberration as we loathed the kingdom building which were integral to kingmaker and we dislike pathfinder mythic, so support for owlcat's wotr is curious. the thing is, having played the first 2.5 installments o' the wotr pnp adventure path, and having familiarity with the remaining content, we were believing the kingdom management aspect o' wotr would be minimal. diminished kingdom building alone were enough to convince us to give wotr a shot. our anticipation for bg3 is not high and is few other crpgs am looking forward to. the paucity o' crpg alternatives and diminished kingdom building were all it took to sell us on wotr, which is an admitted low threshold to meet.

even so, am going into the upcoming release o' wotr with eyes wide open regarding prospects for the stability of the title. 

HA! Good Fun!

happened to see a random youtube link for a guy doing video o' the wotr beta. 

am not a big fan o' watching other folks play games, but this guy is a bit different and kinda fun. depending on how organized he is, he could be a decent pnp dm-- he really gets into reading the all-too-often cringey wotr dialogues w/o the least bit o' self consciousness.  is no way in hell we would watch all his videos, or even most, but we actual got some useful info outta a couple vids he uploaded.

is a fair amount o' busted material in chapter 4, or at least we assume is busted. be able to see somebody struggle with same problems is kina validating and cathartic in a small way, though am admitted more curious to see if anybody else discovered a workaround. looks like the linked individual has played through chapter 4 multiple times, so he does have a couple "solutions" to busted quests.

regardless, this is one o' the few persons we has seen with complete wotr beta gameplay... multiple characters. 

HA! Good Fun!