Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG

Infinitron

On 12/5/2019 at 2:44 AM, Gromnir said:

am not a fan o' the particular ap being used, but am suspecting it will be a popular choice. wrath is the munchkin ap. wrath uses the pathfinder mythic rules which gives players and foes special abilities and powhaz.

Reveal hidden contents

in the penultimate module in the ap (5 of 6,) the party faces a demon lord with a challenge level of 27.

"round 1: baphomet casts time stop. on the rounds that follow, he summons a balor and a labyrinth minotaur. if he has any additional rounds after these, he summons more balors-- he can summon a total of three of these demons.

"round 2: baphomet cats imprisonment on the party's most accomplished healer (or if one exists, any spellcaster capable of casting freedom,) and quickened greater dispel magic to remove the most dangerous of the PC's current spells in effect."

module FIVE.

sooper weapons and uber villains in abundance.

is not a great sandbox ap and is perhaps less depth than many o' the other adventure paths from paizo-- is a paucity o' creative non-combat options.  that said, if you wanna have your party o' demigods face down epic fiends and their hordes o' powerful minions, this is the ap for you. 

HA! Good Fun!

really hope this game doesn't have mythic rule

other than a few interesting mythic feat the whole system seems incomprehensible

On 12/4/2019 at 9:18 AM, Infinitron said:

The unique part of Kingmaker was certainly the kingdom management, and I’m hoping the system will add more meaningful choices in assembling settlements and reduce the number of high risk/low reward events. “In the Wrath of the Righteous we want to keep the best parts of the mix of strategic and RPG experiences," Mishulin told me. "Make it slightly deeper, with a better connection to the core experience and tailored to the story of the Wrath of the Righteous. And of course, we will be listening to our fans to make this system even more enjoyable.”

But that's just it, go look at all the reviews, most people didn't enjoy the kingdom management.

20 hours ago, Gromnir said:

"The unique part of Kingmaker was certainly the kingdom management, and I’m hoping the system will add more meaningful choices in assembling settlements and reduce the number of high risk/low reward events. “In the Wrath of the Righteous we want to keep the best parts of the mix of strategic and RPG experiences," Mishulin told me. "Make it slightly deeper, with a better connection to the core experience and tailored to the story of the Wrath of the Righteous. And of course, we will be listening to our fans to make this system even more enjoyable.”

"From the sounds of it, we’ll see a return of a similar system. Perhaps Wrath will put a focus on managing the war effort against the demonic invaders similar to Mass Effect 3?

Oh I see. Yeah I did read that part but I (also) interpreted it as not really a return of "kingdom management" but rather that some sort of management element would be included, like you say perhaps "managing" your crusade.

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

Oh I see. Yeah I did read that part but I (also) interpreted it as not really a return of "kingdom management" but rather that some sort of management element would be included, like you say perhaps "managing" your crusade.

am not disagreeing with you.  nevertheless, the strategic elements o' kingmaker were terribad and am thinking it would make sense to distance self from such rather than make sound as if return is a highlight. the mass combat in the pnp ap is, for example not actual strategic in the sense o' how such is used in game vernacular.  you don't spend time building settlements to develop resources to support your army in the ap.  armies in the rules we mention from ultimate campaign, doesn't necessarily have the kinda game use o' "strategic" as pathfinder armies is functional treated as having a monster entry. resolve combat 'tween armies much as one does 'tween a party and a bunch o' kobolds.  particular in wrath, little time spent on resource development and acquisition for support o' your armies, though as a role-play game you may of course make such strategic concerns more integral and the system is flexible enough to accommodate such concerns. the ap itself doesn't have a great deal of mass combat in any event, and you sure as heck aren't spending effort maintaining and developing armies over the course of six installments with need to manage quartermasters and fortifications and whatnot.  is nothing which would make us see similarities to kingmaker kingdom building. not even close.

manage crusade or manage kingdom if is using a "similar system," is a fungible difference as in many strategy war games, the kingdom management is largely intertwined with development and maintenance o' armies, no? is precisely those flavor o' wargames which we avoid btw. 

the limited instances o' mass combat in the wrath pnp ap is not a similar system to kingmaker.  can't help but feel like this is a round hole and square peg issue. they got resources already developed from kingmaker for strategic elements, so they is gonna use 'em in warth, whether they fit or not?

lord knows we don't want anything similar to kingmaker's kingdom building. as @the_dog_days observes, such was not well received by fans or reviewers o' kingmaker. for the most part, people who liked kingmaker liked it in spite o' kingdom building. if one were adding mass combat to wrath as a selling point, am thinking it would make sense to explain how such is not gonna be similar to kingmaker

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

yeah, on one side kingdom management was badly implemented especially on release date. On another hand... I kinda like this type of stuff.

What bothered me was that.. well you were not able to make it more unique or different on different characters. For example I was not happy to play druid because of it. If we were able on other hand to change that piece of overgrown land into some kind of holy forest for druids that would be awesome. Or as rouge make it more like merchant Mekka. Or some kind of magic conduit for mages. Anything other than paladin/warrior felt out of place being king

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

11 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

yeah, on one side kingdom management was badly implemented especially on release date. On another hand... I kinda like this type of stuff.

What bothered me was that.. well you were not able to make it more unique or different on different characters. For example I was not happy to play druid because of it. If we were able on other hand to change that piece of overgrown land into some kind of holy forest for druids that would be awesome. Or as rouge make it more like merchant Mekka. Or some kind of magic conduit for mages. Anything other than paladin/warrior felt out of place being king

management in rpg are too often terrible

most obvious solution are what dragon age awakening did

management by actual quest with decision and dungeon

but owlcat are too stuck in it's own way to actually improve any system

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

They're just about to hit the first stretch goal and add the warpriest. Not my jam but hopefully they'll add something that appeals to me before it's all said and done.

so did you pony up 10k? am seeing the "party with the devs in moscow" reward at the 10k tier.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You can already get Warpriest in KM with a mod and I think it's one of the more thematically underwhelming classes in Pathfinder because it's covering an area already covered by Clerics, Inquisitors, and Paladins in a way that Magus and Bloodrager don't for arcane classes. Personally I'd like to see the Psychic, Shifter, or Gunslinger classes show up along with an Antipaladin archetype.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Kickstarter live: 

Owlcat Games is back on Kickstarter with a new RPG set in the Pathfinder universe – the Age of Lost Omens, the setting we love so much! We want to thank all the backers and contributors who helped us create our previous game, Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Now it’s time to craft a new epic adventure together!

As you may know, we at Owlcat Games have spent countless hours playing the Pathfinder tabletop RPG. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to bring this experience to the videogame format by creating a classic isometric party-based computer RPG called Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The phenomenal love and support shown for Kingmaker have inspired us to tell another story from the Age of Lost Omens. Today we are thrilled to introduce the adventure we are so passionate and excited about – Wrath of the Righteous!

• Embark on a journey to a realm overrun by demons and rise to power by choosing one of six available Mythic Paths. Master their abilities and change the world around you as an Angel, a Lich, a Trickster, an Aeon, a Demon, or an Azata. Each Mythic Path leads to unique skills and appearance, and greatly impacts the game’s story.
  • Challenge the mighty Demon Lords and close the portal to the demonic plane of existence known as the Abyss.
  • Enjoy the flexibility, richness, and depth of the Pathfinder first edition ruleset. Create any character imaginable by choosing one of ten races, picking a particular class out of the 21 available, each with five archetypes for even greater customization. Gain access to more than a thousand spells, feats, and abilities, and select those that suit your playstyle. Take control of your party formation, help set up a camp, and find a way to victory by combining the strengths of your companions.
  • Lead the armies of the Fifth Crusade to victory in a new strategic layer of gameplay. In addition to the classic CRPG experience, step into the role of the Commander, gather troops, reinforce your stronghold, and send your armies to battle the demonic invasion across the map of the region. Send your crusaders to explore ancient ruins and recover powerful artifacts.
  • Experience a non-linear story about the cost of tremendous power that adventurers often seek, with tales of corruption caused by the demonic influence and redemption for those who have stepped on the wrong path.
  • Meet a new diverse cast of characters, including ten companions to recruit to your party and featuring multiple romance options to choose from.
  • Take control of five new classes (Arcanist, Bloodrager, Shaman, Oracle, and Witch) and meet a new race–the half-undead dhampir–in addition to the previous roster from Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The number of archetypes per class has increased to five as well.
  • Dive into the game even if you’re not familiar with the intricacies of the Pathfinder ruleset. Use an enhanced tutorial for newcomers to help you with character creation and get up to speed with the rules of the system.
  • Explore the world with updated visuals and a 360-degree rotating camera added for better playability and immersion.]
  • Current platforms: PC Windows (Steam, GOG)
  • Current languages: English, French, German, Chinese, Russian

More platforms and languages may be added in the future.

We want our new game to give you the same feeling as good old Pathfinder: Kingmaker Enhanced Edition. If you enjoyed Kingmaker, you will definitely love Wrath of the Righteous as well.

Looks like the next stretch goal is a Tiefling companion and the one after that could be mounted combat.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

They're just about to hit the first stretch goal and add the warpriest. Not my jam but hopefully they'll add something that appeals to me before it's all said and done.

2 hours ago, KaineParker said:

You can already get Warpriest in KM with a mod and I think it's one of the more thematically underwhelming classes in Pathfinder because it's covering an area already covered by Clerics, Inquisitors, and Paladins in a way that Magus and Bloodrager don't for arcane classes. Personally I'd like to see the Psychic, Shifter, or Gunslinger classes show up along with an Antipaladin archetype.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

That's more of a jump than I expected 370k - 475k

e833bbdb9e86bf475c4cfd84455ec31f_origina

Currently at around 381k

Also Winter Witch prestige class should be in now

It does indeed look like mounted combat will be the next goal

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I hope that means it comes bundled with the Cavalier class, if only so we can get a more unique class in a hypothetical stretch goal after what looks to be mounted combat.

I actually hope it isn't mounted combat, just because that's something that I've never enjoyed.  It always seems so awkward to have part of the party mounted, and the rest on foot, not to mention having to make dungeons that accommodate a mounted character (as otherwise you're screwing over the guy that put all his feats/skills into mounted stuff.)

Personally, I really like the Warpriest.  The extra feats let me pull off some builds that you can't as a cleric or inquisitor, and the spellcasting is enough.  I wanted to make a really silly character that was unarmed + shield bash, but unfortunately the game engine didn't know what to do with it (it was only giving a single attack, with the shield weirdly enough, when I should have had 3 fist and 3 shield.)  But I can do weapon + shield bash that I couldn't get away with on cleric, and the blessings and weapon/shield augments are nice too.

The class I'd like to see, though, is the occultist.  A 6 level caster with the possibility of fighter level base attack bonus makes me happy.  Also, I've always liked psionics.  I'd also take the skald and the hunter.

That said, I'm really happy they're officially adding the shaman and the oracle.  Big fan of both of those.

We've got the thiefling, and looks like Mounted Combat (with the Cavalier class) is next at $575 k. After that is something that starts with "Di" and ends with an "nt".

• Like 1

mounted combat is the last think i am missing in my CRPGs tbh

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

After that is something that starts with "Di" and ends with an "nt".

I think the first letter could also be an R, B, or P but I agree with the rest.

Di     (h or b)    nt

Pi     (h or b)    nt

Ri     (h or b)    nt

Bi     (h or b)    nt

Not sure if that is an L, H, D, or B in the middle but I'm leaning H or B because it looks like there is a little hump but I could be way off on that

Do any of those ring any bells for anyone familiar with Pathfinder? I'm assuming not but since work is slow I'll probably spend half the day on this

Edited by ShadySands
Dismemberment maybe?

Free games updated 3/4/21