The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

• 2 weeks later...

Enola Holmes.

One of netflix adaption from a young-adult series of books. Interesting and engaging in its way, Henry Cavil as a slightly warmer Sherlock Holmes than you might expect, and Millie Bobby Brown (of Strange Things fame) playing the lead role of Enola, the young Holmes sister raised in isolation by their mother (Helena Bonham Carter) with a very unfeminine education.

When their mother disappears the Holmes brothers return home to discover things weren't quite as they expected, and Enola decides to take off on her own to discover the world and find her mother rather than end up in the finishing school Mycroft was trying to send her to.

Enola has a lot of fourth-wall breaking stuff, talking her thoughts directly to the camera as she outwits her brothers and tries to chart her own path, while getting entangled in a few mysteries along the way and proving she's a lot closer to Sherlock rather than being a "proper" lady.

It does kind of feel like a pg-13 version of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock films.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Pft, people need to use proper Cyrillic in these kinds of movies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Katphood said:

I wonder if there will ever be a game based on this movie...

Well it does look like it'll be more entertaining than Ready Player One.

That fine balance of pandemic responsibility, against "lets wait until more Cinema groups are bankrupt and closed down."...

Edited by Raithe
  • Sad 2

Irresistible

A very fine movie about american election industry that let's you see what a monumental mess it can be to be involved in politics. What seems to be straightforward story about a professional campaigner  getting involved in a small town mayor election and become a better person and help the community get's a fun twist at the end. I sincerely recommend watching this one. 

166215__front.jpg

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/david-attenborough-life-on-our-planet-netflix-reaction-a4563201.html?

Sir David Attenborough's latest documentary A Life On Our Planet has struck a chord with viewers, with the naturalist's stark message leaving many in tears.

While the film, which premiered on Netflix on Sunday, does make for uncomfortable viewing, it is also an essential watch.

Tracking pivotal moments throughout Sir David's career - from making contact with a remote New Guinea tribe living in a completely sustainable fashion, to his famous encounter with Silverback gorillas - the film covers how drastically the natural world has been altered by humans during his lifetime, and delivers a powerful call to action.

^  We have our own small compost pile in the backyard, we (mostly) filter tapwater in a giant metal coffeepot-looking thing vs. bottled, we (mostly) recycle, I use almost zero gasoline, we didn't have any children. I don't wantonly "consume" just for fashion or social trends. I'm doing my part. 

Wait, what's that you say?  *hides all the energy-sucking electronic gear full of plastics and metals*  :-

Humor aside, it's indeed sad and has been for decades. I wanted to save the tigers (and planet) in the 70's when I was a wee kid. It's not about saving our planet per se,  it's about saving ourselves and as the years went by, I'm not very convinced mass humanity has the future-thinking brain to achieve it in time - we're too much creatures of our own immediate personal concerns. But I'll still compost and recycle and try not to be wasteful etc. Who knows what'll happen. Chances are I won't be around to see the true start of ultimate success or failure tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

25 minutes ago, Raithe said:

vid

we were waiting for the laugh track and the snl actors 'cause it reminded us more o' an snl mock trailer than anything. it is kinda funny as a trailer, but am not seeing how you do 90 minutes o' fatman.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Swindlers (2017, S. Korea, Amazon-rented) - three of my favorite actors? Yes please. Turned out to be a pretty good crime/corruption/action-caper movie. I could guess the likely twist halfway through and it's more about emotion vs. character if that makes sense (and has plenty of the S. Korea tropes here and there) but pretty entertaining for the genre.

Ashfall (2019, S. Korea, Amazon-rented) - I liked Jung-woo Ha in Along with the Gods and thought it might be a decent trashy, mindless disaster flick. 30 minutes in, the script was even more ludicrous than I was expecting and Jung-woo wasn't on-screen much yet and ... I fell asleep. I'll finish it today but I don't have tons of hope for it. Amazon has it English dubbed (trailer) as well as Korean/subtitles (my choice).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^  To follow up, finished Ashfall.  Not worth it.  Most of the "disaster" aspect is in the first opening bits.  The rest becomes almost a human drama as chrs. race to steal something so they can do something that might save the world etc. The two main leads eventually have an ok chemistry in the male-bonding under adversity way but meh.  I wanted cheesy epic disaster, not drama with a side dose of political messages.

Caught Mortal Kombat : Revenge of Scorpion on TV.  Hilarious gratuitous violence, but was better than MK Annihilation, so there is that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Malcolm-Jurassic-World-3-Mines-1024x683.

Jeff Goldblum decided to share an image of himself on set of Jurassic World: Dominion...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

^  He cheated recreating that JP shot - he's not showing down to his waist/belly button.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Children's Hour (1961). Wow. That was amazing. Not sure if I've ever seen anything with Shirley McLaine before, but Audrey Hepburn and her especially made this one of my favorite movies. That was so messed up and great. The children were a little weird and stilted at times, but it's totally forgivable and workable, and I think they were still pretty darned good for the time.

Tokyo Story (1953). Not going to lie, kind of made me want to die, but in a good way. Incredibly depressing and very true and heartfelt messages. Had some interesting/different filming techniques that worked rather well for the most part, too. Love getting hit with back to back great movies.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Come and See (1985). I don't remember who recommended this a while back, it might've been @Gorth or someone else. Thought the first half was a bit of a...bizarre slough, some good parts but also some parts I didn't really think worked all that well. Second half was just an endless nightmare of scenes from hell, and made for a much more compelling watch. If I had to hazard a guess, I don't think where and what they filmed towards the end would constitute as "safe working conditions" for American and European film-making these days! Really helped make me feel like I was actually in an invasion. Liked it a lot overall.

Wait Until Dark (1967). Decent old-fashioned thriller, but not really my cup of tea. Someone else who loved The Children's Hour, which I loved, recommended it, but besides having Audrey Hepburn star, I didn't really see much of a connection between the two in really any meaningful way.

The Truman Show (1998). Pretty good, but a bit too ham-fisted and on the nose. I wish the setup had been less obvious (and in fact, wished they waited until much later to reveal what was going on - it was so, so early when it happened and I didn't really understand why) and that it was written a little more subtly. Jim Carrey is a lot of fun.

Pretty in Pink (1986). One I've avoided for a long time because it's always seemed...too 80s, but it was pretty fun and enjoyable. The lead lady, I forget her name, has always been fun in whatever I've seen of her. The ending was a bit...dissatisfying.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Come and See (1985). I don't remember who recommended this a while back, it might've been @Gorth or someone else. Thought the first half was a bit of a...bizarre slough, some good parts but also some parts I didn't really think worked all that well. Second half was just an endless nightmare of scenes from hell, and made for a much more compelling watch. If I had to hazard a guess, I don't think where and what they filmed towards the end would constitute as "safe working conditions" for American and European film-making these days! Really helped make me feel like I was actually in an invasion. Liked it a lot overall.

Yeah, I mentioned that one a while ago. Funny trivia, for added realism (or lack of blanks), the director insisted on all scenes using live ammo for shooting, artillery and explosions in the movie. So when you see grenades impacting or bullets doing a bit of deforestation, it's all real. That should teach those actors to keep their heads down 😝

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

[   Jiu Jitsu trailer video  ]

...y'know, I've loved Nicholas Cage for years and years and have been quite willing to watch even his teri-bad movies (for humor value if nothing else).  But I think I'll be skipping this one. Besides, from the looks of it, his role isn't very big.  I bet he'll have about 13 minutes of screen time, 20 max.  :P

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Yeah, I mentioned that one a while ago. Funny trivia, for added realism (or lack of blanks), the director insisted on all scenes using live ammo for shooting, artillery and explosions in the movie. So when you see grenades impacting or bullets doing a bit of deforestation, it's all real. That should teach those actors to keep their heads down 😝

Yeah, and I'm also pretty sure the cow in the field that I saw get obliterated was uncomfortably real, too.

Edging ever closer to reality...

https://movieweb.com/the-last-starfighter-2-update-writer-jonathan-r-betuel/?

"It looks like we'll be making the deal to get it going. Gary's a gifted collaborator, we'll be writing the script together but it's taken a long time. I had to go through a process that took years to recapture the rights, but that was recently completed and although nothing is ever clear sailing, it looks like we have a really good opportunity now. So I'm really looking forward to taking it up."

• Like 2