The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

On the negative side:

• Liberal use of the Inception BWOOOOOOM. How have we not gotten that out of our system yet?

We did but we had to take a step back when "breathy teenage girl singing slow version of 90's hit" was a massive failure.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Dune looked great. Stop complaining you negative nellies. 😝

2012-07-06-Negative-Panda.jpg

...in truth I don't have negative or positive expectations from the new Dune. At the least, it looks like it'll be visually pleasant and possibly a good time passer, but I generally consider the novel to be not-filmable (eg I'd rather read the book another 20 times than watch another movie of it - that TV series wasn't terrible tho) hence remain rather neutral about any attempts.  At least, until someone pulls a Peter Jackson and manages to make a good-as-you'll-ever-get made-all-at-once film trilogy out of it or something.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

At least, until someone pulls a Peter Jackson and manages to make a good-as-you'll-ever-get made-all-at-once film trilogy out of it or something.

...Which they wouldn't even let literally him, Peter Jackson, do again for literally Lord of the Rings aka the Hobbit, again, so nobody should probably expect it to happen again anytime soon, :p. The unique production of The Lord of the Rings trilogy will probably stay unique for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Which they wouldn't even let literally him, Peter Jackson, do again for literally Lord of the Rings aka the Hobbit, again, so nobody should probably expect it to happen again anytime soon, :p. The unique production of The Lord of the Rings trilogy will probably stay unique for the foreseeable future.

If the Avatar sequels do well, they might (if he had a sudden desire to, ofc, ha) let James Cameron try. Of course then you'd still have to wait 10+ years for him to edit the movies or something and he might die before then.   :shifty:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It wasn't just WB who wouldn't let Peter Jackson do his job though. The Sir Peter Jackson who ran The Hobbit project was not the same Peter Jackson who ran the LotR project. Should have stuck to his guns and had an external director- or not brought in del Toro and done it himself initially and asterisk The Lovely Bones- should have stuck to his guns and not had a trilogy, and the development overall was run about as badly as LotR's was run well.

Then again I'm just bitter at Jackson that's there's never been a Bad Taste 2.

• Like 2

Well remember, as I recall, Villenueve was originally saying he planned to do Dune as two films. With the plague I've lost track of whether that was still the plan or whether it has actually all been condensed into a single feature. I really should google-fu it up.

And Chalamet has talked about the fact that one of the key appeals to him was that Paul is as much an anti-hero / journey to become the villain rather than your typical protagonist, so I'll personally be curious how he plays that out.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

16 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I thought the Dune trailer was okay but I'm not a huge fan of Dune. I always thought it should have ended after the first book.

I thought book 4 was very good, and would make for a very fascinating film in the right hands. A guy turns himself into a Giant Sandworm and becomes the Emperor of the Universe for thousands of years to teach humanity a lesson, what's not to like?

Book 2 & 3 less so, though they somehow managed to adapt those decently in that Children of Dune miniseries (that sadly doesn't hold up well CGIwise).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I thought the Dune trailer was okay but I'm not a huge fan of Dune. I always thought it should have ended after the first book.

Trailer was ok. As for books I always thought that FH had a lot of good ideas but couldn't write a good, coherent storyline.

• Like 1

166215__front.jpg

Re: Dune trailer, worth remembering that a lot of the red flags on this trailer were also present in the Blade Runnner 2049 trailers, which also felt designed to make that film look more like an action sci-fi than it actually turned out to be. As a hype piece I reckon it's okay, there's a lot of Hollywood trailer mannerisms in it including the brooding FM classic rework that I don't care for, but we'll have to wait and look at the film to see how much it aligns with the end result.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

For that comparison aspect...

Edit: Apparently the use of that Pink Floyd song in the trailer is a callback to how Jodorowsky planned to get Pink Floyd heavily involved in the soundtrack when he was trying to get Dune filmed.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

No Dune film will ever top this moment, though

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

26 minutes ago, Malcador said:

No Dune film will ever top this moment, though

...hmm. For me it would be this one.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Different topic:  I heard about this movie called Rent-A-Pal, because Wil Wheaton is in it. I'll have to rent it.  But then looking up the trailer for it on YouTube, I discovered that some years ago someone made a (satirical?) video called Rent A Friend that absolutely has to be an inspiration for the movie. So weird.

Yeah, Frank Herbert's agent's reply was memorable too -  "No. Because Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden"

:lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

C'mon, the one thing that will never, ever be topped or unseen and scrubbed from the memory .. is Sting's Groinal Batarang in Dune.

5ee4a8b4476fa1a3f54b4846efc0f0a2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

I think I need to rewatch that. Too bad the DVD's locked away somewhere in my cellar.

am knowing there is big fans o' dune (1984).

other than pugs, is little positive we may say 'bout the david lynch dune.

recognizing the limited budget, syfy's dune miniseries were superior in most respects to dune 84. however, alec newman, in his mid twenties, did a much better job in the children of dune sequel than he did in original the miniseries. am thinking newman were trying too hard to convince us he were younger than he appeared, and so we got a curiously petulant and immature paul. also, william hurt made it painful obvious he wanted to be anywhere but in front o' a camera for all his scenes. nevertheless, the syfy version were much more faithful (not always a good thing) and better directed than the lynch version.

suggestion: don't bother digging out the dvds if you can find a copy o' the syfy version.

however, if pugs make a huge difference...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm always a sucker for the Inama Nushif montage and music in Children of Dune. It hit all the right points for a montage sequence compressing a whole heap of book into explainable cinema experience, and the score just hits the emotional feedback.

Inama nushif (She is eternal)
            Al ­asir hiy ayish (No malice can touch)
            Lia-anni (Singular and ageless)
            Zaratha zarati (Perpetually bound)
            Hatt al-hudad (Through the tempest)
            Al-maahn al-baiid (be it deluge or sand)
            Ay-yah idare (A singular voice)
            Adamm malum (speaks through the torrent)
            Hatt al-hudad (Through the tempest)
            Al-maahn al-baiid (be it deluge or sand)
            Ay-yah idare (A singular voice)
            Adamm malum (speaks through the torrent)
            Inama nishuf al a sadarr (Forever her voice sings)
            Eann zaratha zarati (through the ages eternally bound)
            Kali bakka a tishuf ahatt (Sacrifice is her gift)
            Al hudad alman dali (one that cannot be equaled)
            Inama nishuf al a sadarr (Forever her voice sings)
            Eann zaratha zarati (through the ages eternally bound)
            Kali bakka a tishuf ahatt (Sacrifice is her gift)
            Al hudad alman dali alia (that Alia will one day equal)
            Inama nushif (She is eternal)
            Al ­asir hiy ayish (No malice can touch)
            Lia-anni (Singular and ageless)
            Zaratha zarati (Perpetually bound)

kinda funny aside 'bout the lyrics.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

47 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

kinda funny aside 'bout the lyrics.

HA! Good Fun!

I vaguely knew most of that. It was that semi-memory that couldn't recall the exact specifics but knew the general gist of it.