The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)

Amentep

On 8/1/2020 at 6:29 AM, Gorth said:

My dvd arrived from Amazon a few days ago and I got to see "Come and See" (Criterion Collection version)

A rather... disturbing movie and a very different take on war. There is nothing pretty, glorious or anything even remotely attractive about war.

I'll try the Criterion bluray instead and report back... (e): Actually, people say the Potemkine is arguably better, so I might do that instead.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Life Is Beautiful (1997). A very...strange mix of genuine Holocaust stuff and comedic love story - pretty decent given the uncomfortable marriage between the two, all things considered.

@Amentep The opening drum of that trailer absolutely blasted my ears off because I had my audio set very high. Don't recommend.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Life Is Beautiful (1997). A very...strange mix of genuine Holocaust stuff and comedic love story - pretty decent given the uncomfortable marriage, all things considered.

That movie is glorious.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

4 minutes ago, Orogun01 said:

That movie is glorious.

I am not a comedy person, so I did struggle with that aspect of the film, especially with the Holocaust as a backdrop, which I didn't think was treated quite seriously enough. It doesn't need to be Schindler's List, of course, but just a little more tense and realistic at times to contrast with the silliness would've felt better to me - but that would've just been more to my taste. It seems like the intent was to...have a feel-good movie without outright disrespecting the "material", so to speak, and I think in that sense, it was a success. All in all, I enjoyed it and it got a thumbs up from me.

Kodachrome - another one of those movies in the Netflix watchlist for ages. Finally got around to watching it.

I love Ed Harris, so to me he's the best thing in the movie.  I also like (well done) "road trip" films. This one is ok but drags occasionally and is overall rather downbeat (Ed Harris' chr. is not a lovable one). I was expecting father and son, but was given father, son, and a nurse (with a predictable side of romance stuck in that could have done without). I liked the nostalgia related to photography and 35mm (35mm film cameras seem so small/light now vs. the bigger DSLR's). I remember putting in the film, winding it up...taking a picture and manually pulling the lever to advance the film...memories.

Anyway, maybe a 7/10.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I rewatched Mortal Kombat, the first one, Annihilation is straight garbage and has no redeeming qualities. Anyway, Mortal Kombat is by no stretch of the imagination a good movie, but it is goofy campy fun. What really got me, though, is how derpy Goro looks. He's supposed to be this menacing, intimidating... half-dragon(?), but his face is just so hilariously silly looking, never mind the claymation animations.

As an action movie it's half-assed if I'm being generous, a third assed if I'm being real, but as a comedy it delivers the goods.

• Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Movies based on games are on average terrible, but movies based on fighting games are definitely a special category of  terribleness.

Have you seen Dead Or Alive?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Sadly, yes. That movie was so bad that I was convinced it was an Uwe Boll film (it's not) for years.

• Sad 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 8/16/2020 at 5:08 AM, Keyrock said:

I rewatched Mortal Kombat, the first one, Annihilation is straight garbage and has no redeeming qualities. Anyway, Mortal Kombat is by no stretch of the imagination a good movie, but it is goofy campy fun. What really got me, though, is how derpy Goro looks. He's supposed to be this menacing, intimidating... half-dragon(?), but his face is just so hilariously silly looking, never mind the claymation animations.

As an action movie it's half-assed if I'm being generous, a third assed if I'm being real, but as a comedy it delivers the goods.

But, it does have Lamberts dirty chuckle all over the place... And anything with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa having fun evil scenery chewing is always entertaining.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ryan Reynolds made a streaming platform that only plays one movie

Ryan Reynolds has thrown his hat into the ring and created his very own streaming platform. A year ago he purchased an ownership stake in Mint Mobile, and his most significant act as majority shareholder is the formation of Mint Mobile+

That’s right, get ready to binge Foolproof, the Canadian heist flick that critics gave a resounding “meh” in 2003 and that continues to dominate the 2.5 to 3-stars section of Rotten Tomatoes, as many times as you want. The streaming service has a super user-friendly interface very similar to Netflix or Disney+, except —you guessed it— every single title is just Foolproof.

mint-mobile-plus-ryan-reynolds-2.jpg

• Haha 2

ian mckellen doing the winter o' discontent monologue from richard iii were impressive, but am gonna suggest cary-hiroyuki tagawa's linked shang tsung is high water mark.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 8/16/2020 at 9:53 AM, majestic said:

Movies based on games are on average terrible, but movies based on fighting games are definitely a special category of  terribleness.

I need this movie.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 8/16/2020 at 3:53 AM, majestic said:

King of Fighters is even worse.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Given just how many folks are in this Squad... I bet we'll have a fairly steady death rate from the get go.

New Batman movie looks pretty good so far:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell